Price drop on sammy plasmas

nikhil_j

Guys there has been a considerable drop in prices of sammy plasmas, do check out their site.
For instance, their 720p PS50B450 costs 75k MRP!!!
and 1080p PS50B550 costs 1lac MRP.
the base 4 series 42 inchers have come down too...
now why dont other manufacturers follow suit.
please do comment whether panny are plannin any drops.
no point in hoping for pioneer to do such a thing, is there?!! :lol:

Nikhil there has been no price drop as such, the price quoted for 50b450 is the regular price at which new models are launched in the market, as time passes by the same price comes down to 50k levels, then next year another new model is launched at 75k price.

Panny also follows the same suit, the PV8 & PV80 both are still available under 50k. The newer X10 series which is being launched is much higher.

You are right no point in discussing Pioneer as they are out of this business.

Going forward i only see Panasonic & Samsung to be the 2 major players in the market.

LG's new plasmas are apparently serious contenders in the budget segment, but I compared it recently to a PV8, and i preferred the PV8.

Nikhil there has been no price drop as such, the price quoted for 50b450 is the regular price at which new models are launched in the market, as time passes by the same price comes down to 50k levels, then next year another new model is launched at 75k price.

Panny also follows the same suit, the PV8 & PV80 both are still available under 50k. The newer X10 series which is being launched is much higher.

Going forward i only see Panasonic & Samsung to be the 2 major players in the market.

Plasmas are going to be banned in EU soon. So you can expect price drops as manufacturers stop production and clear their stocks in the next few years.

Cheers

Plasmas are going to be banned in EU soon. So you can expect price drops as manufacturers stop production and clear their stocks in the next few years.

Cheers

Hopefully Pioneer Kuro will be affordable to one and all. I've been lusting after one...

I also wanted to own a Kuro, but with them stopping production and moving out of Plasma market have changed my decision, as if some issue comes up where will you go for support for a product that is no longer manufactured.

This is an important consideration in going for Kuro, this in fact has been a major reason due to which customers in US,UK are selling their Kuro's and switching to newer and different model's from other manufacturer's.

Soon we may see the second hand market flood with these sets.

gobble, as far as i knew that was a speculative conclusoin based on new environmental norms proposed to be introduced in the EU. WIth the latest plasma panels almost halving power consumption, I doubt there will be any impact on their production in Europe.

Cheers

Dushie, fyi, these are 50 inch models i am talking about!!! as in 50 in 50B450 or 50B550. 50k for 50"?, i think you have mistaken these to be 42" ones.

Let me assure you dushie, you could not get a 50" plasma for under 90k or even 1 lac, just 2 months ago. show me one 50"(full HD or otherwise) model from panny either last year's models or this year's which are available for such a price.
even sammy had them for 1.27 lac(720p) and 1.40 lac(1080p).
So this is a price drop, a big one at that, and the new models from panny cost 63k just for 42" ones.
Do go to samsung's siteand go through their models.
thank you.

Cheers

I agree with psychotropic, the EU are just introducing stricter energy norms, like the US have introduced new 'energy star' ratings.
anyways the new generation pannys with the neo-pdp panels and sammy 2009 B series plasmas have all halved their energy consumption.

Dushie, fyi, these are 50 inch models i am talking about!!! as in 50 in 50B450 or 50B550. 50k for 50"?, i think you have mistaken these to be 42" ones.

Let me assure you dushie, you could not get a 50" plasma for under 90k or even 1 lac, just 2 months ago. show me one 50"(full HD or otherwise) model from panny either last year's models or this year's which are available for such a price.
even sammy had them for 1.27 lac(720p) and 1.40 lac(1080p).
So this is a price drop, a big one at that, and the new models from panny cost 63k just for 42" ones.
Do go to samsung's siteand go through their models.
thank you.

Hi Nkhil

I do agree the full hd models price is dropping and the technology is getting cheaper but sorry to disappoint you, the PS50B550 is the low end 50"model from the Samsung line up, the price drop is there because its a low end model also the quality and the features of the panel will differ from the higher end range plasmas they manufacture , which are not sold in India.

Also price drop is due lower cost of manufacturing and improvement in technology. So definitely that is one advantage to the consumer but the sad part it we only get the low end model of their line up that also at a higher cost compared to US market.

It would be great if they would also launch the high end Plasma Series 6 & 8 in India, to really showcase their Plasma line up.

But in the end a full HD 50" plasma in 1 lk is a good deal, considering a similar model from Panasonic costs 1.5lk.

Hi Nkhil

I do agree the full hd models price is dropping and the technology is getting cheaper but sorry to disappoint you, the PS50B550 is the low end 50"model from the Samsung line up, the price drop is there because its a low end model also the quality and the features of the panel will differ from the higher end range plasmas they manufacture , which are not sold in India.

Also price drop is due lower cost of manufacturing and improvement in technology. So definitely that is one advantage to the consumer but the sad part it we only get the low end model of their line up that also at a higher cost compared to US market.

It would be great if they would also launch the high end Plasma Series 6 & 8 in India, to really showcase their Plasma line up.

But in the end a full HD 50" plasma in 1 lk is a good deal, considering a similar model from Panasonic costs 1.5lk.

yup thats true, its their lowest full HD model and its a sad situation that it costs 1.5 times more or even higher than in the US, wen will those days come wen the e giants realize that we are as big a market as the US.
anyways still its the most affordable range of 50 inchers currently available and even then, their performance isn't as bad according to many reviewers(well atleast for the old PS50A550).
the only problem being that the blacks aren't as inky as the kuros or the new panel pannys, but colour accuracy surpasses that of pannys and matches that of kuros. there is no greenish tinge like in the G10s and its even brighter.
Lets see, will go and have a look, might be a good deal after all.
thank you...

yup thats true, its their lowest full HD model and its a sad situation that it costs 1.5 times more or even higher than in the US, wen will those days come wen the e giants realize that we are as big a market as the US.

Please we are NOT as big market as US --- I do not have figures but while working in onida we were shown global sales figure of Flat screens. sales figures in US were huge even in Japan sale nos were high.....and Compared to population they were very high. In these countries CRT is almost vanished.

Do not doubt my patriotic feeling but I am brutally honest with numbers...

Sometimes I doubt whether we feature in product plan of these companies ...especially brands like Hitachi,Pioneer, Sharp , JVC etc...

In fact if you have contacts find out - Samsung may be discontinuing Plasmas in Indian or Global market and that is why the discount...

Just think of ratio of Plasmas to LCD at any retailer...In fact at small retailers plasmas are not at available..So my thinking.

Last edited:
Please we are NOT as big market as US --- I do not have figures but while working in onida we were shown global sales figure of Flat screens. sales figures in US were huge even in Japan sale nos were high.....and Compared to population they were very high. In these countries CRT is almost vanished.

Do not doubt my patriotic feeling but I am brutally honest with numbers...

Sometimes I doubt whether we feature in product plan of these companies ...especially brands like Hitachi,Pioneer, Sharp , JVC etc...

In fact if you have contacts find out - Samsung may be discontinuing Plasmas in Indian or Global market and that is why the discount...

Just think of ratio of Plasmas to LCD at any retailer...In fact at small retailers plasmas are not at available..So my thinking.

well yes actually, but meant we have the potential to be one, if they give us a chance to be that is.
Anyway about discontinuing plasmas, its not happening anytime soon.
Pioneer are quitting the business not because plasma is declining, but to cut down losses, they are even laying off 10000 employees, they will be only into audio and car entertainment.
So panasonic, samsung and hitachi are the only major players in plasma now, and have no doubt that they will be in the business for a long time tocome.
Plasmas always have and will have both fans and customers for it.
About indian retailers, most of them are ill informed and go by the margins they get not the actual quality. Then the customers buy LCD cause they are brighter and hence look good in the showrooms.

As I say always check the numbers

Pls check following news---------

Hitachi- This news says it is marignal player and LG which is not mentioned is very big!

Digital Home - Worldwide plasma sales fall 22% in Q1

This news even discusses huge decline in shipments and more in profits on plasma..

Nothing against technology but future looks dark
-------------------------------------
Worldwide plasma sales fall 22% in Q1

Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Worldwide sales of plasma panels in the first quarter of 2009 fell for the second straight quarter after posting strong growth during most of 2008 according to a recent report from DisplaySearch.

The research firm reported today that shipments in the first three months of the year were 2.8 million units, down 22% from 3.5 million units during the same time period in 2008.

Much of the decline was attributable to the discontinuation of 32 models; however, even shipments of 42 and 50 panel shipments were down. Some brands announced their withdrawal from the plasma TV business in the first quarter, like Pioneer, while other brands decided to shift away from plasma to focus on LCD TV only, like Vizio.

The reports found that plasma televisions 50 inches and larger now account for one-third of all plasmas sold as manufacturers focus on the part of the market where plasma remains more competitively priced than LCD.

Panasonic continued to be the biggest seller of plasma panels in the first quarter. Panasonic sold 37% of all plasma panels followed by Samsung (31%), LGE (26%), Pioneer (4.3%) and Hitachi (3.8%).

On the revenue side, the news was even worse. While units sales were falling 22% year over year, plasma revenues were plummeting 36%. Only Panasonic, which experienced a 15% decline in revenues, was able to achieve a slower level of revenue decline than the category average. Samsung experienced a 37% decline in revenue, Pioneer a 40% decline while LGE and Hitachi both fell more than 50%.

As bad as plasma unit shipments were in Q109 relative to a year ago, plasma panel revenues were even worse, declining 36% Y/Y as falling prices were needed to stem even steeper demand falloff, noted Paul Gagnon, DisplaySearch Director of North America TV Market Research. With future investment in capacity expansion on hold at almost every plasma panel maker except Panasonic, improvements in technology, such as greater luminance efficiency and more efficient manufacturing at existing fabs, will be the key areas of investment to maintain cost competitiveness against future LCD fab capacity expansion.

With Pioneer withdrawing plasma module production in 2009, only three major panel makers are left in the plasma industry.
Discuss and learn more

As I say always check the numbers

Pls check following news---------

Hitachi- This news says it is marignal player and LG which is not mentioned is very big!

Digital Home - Worldwide plasma sales fall 22% in Q1

This news even discusses huge decline in shipments and more in profits on plasma..

Nothing against technology but future looks dark
-------------------------------------
Worldwide plasma sales fall 22% in Q1

Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Worldwide sales of plasma panels in the first quarter of 2009 fell for the second straight quarter after posting strong growth during most of 2008 according to a recent report from DisplaySearch.

The research firm reported today that shipments in the first three months of the year were 2.8 million units, down 22% from 3.5 million units during the same time period in 2008.

Much of the decline was attributable to the discontinuation of 32 models; however, even shipments of 42 and 50 panel shipments were down. Some brands announced their withdrawal from the plasma TV business in the first quarter, like Pioneer, while other brands decided to shift away from plasma to focus on LCD TV only, like Vizio.

The reports found that plasma televisions 50 inches and larger now account for one-third of all plasmas sold as manufacturers focus on the part of the market where plasma remains more competitively priced than LCD.

Panasonic continued to be the biggest seller of plasma panels in the first quarter. Panasonic sold 37% of all plasma panels followed by Samsung (31%), LGE (26%), Pioneer (4.3%) and Hitachi (3.8%).

On the revenue side, the news was even worse. While units sales were falling 22% year over year, plasma revenues were plummeting 36%. Only Panasonic, which experienced a 15% decline in revenues, was able to achieve a slower level of revenue decline than the category average. Samsung experienced a 37% decline in revenue, Pioneer a 40% decline while LGE and Hitachi both fell more than 50%.

As bad as plasma unit shipments were in Q109 relative to a year ago, plasma panel revenues were even worse, declining 36% Y/Y as falling prices were needed to stem even steeper demand falloff, noted Paul Gagnon, DisplaySearch Director of North America TV Market Research. With future investment in capacity expansion on hold at almost every plasma panel maker except Panasonic, improvements in technology, such as greater luminance efficiency and more efficient manufacturing at existing fabs, will be the key areas of investment to maintain cost competitiveness against future LCD fab capacity expansion.

With Pioneer withdrawing plasma module production in 2009, only three major panel makers are left in the plasma industry.
Discuss and learn more

hemant, you conveniently left out a part of the article from PC World, here it is: "Industry experts expect to see plasma companies focus on technology improvements to score more sales in coming months. With the LCD market suffering losses of its own right now, it's far too soon to count plasma out."

The losses have to do more with the economic meltdown rather than Plasma declining.
As i said Pioneer are out of the business not out of choice but because they are under huge losses, not only from the Plasma division (they had very less margins in plasma anyway because they were using panels from Matsushita, Panny's mother company).
anyway, here's another article which gives a contrasting view from yours,
LCD, plasma TV sales grow more than 80%

And here's the PC World article, see the last paragraph,
http://www.pcworld.com/article/163954/plasma_sales_slip_in_early_2009.html

Thank you....

Thanks for the feedback.....
Anyway my point is LG is omitted and marginal player like Hitachi is excessively praised..

There is nothing against technology of plasma ...but still the point is there are just Handful of playrs remained ....in that what kind of reserch is possible.

Anyway US market is different and the the biggest player is Vizio ....virtually unheard outside...another players are Olivia,Westinghouse etc..

Now I beleive all of these are out of plasma market ,and LG what I heard is not serious ...that leaves Panasonic and Samsung in plasma..

Now think of hundreds of LCD companies reserch vs few comapnis plasma research...

Also Big daddy Sony is out of plasma market for long and panasonic ,staunch beleiver in plasma technology introduced 42 inch LCD

Panasonic TC-P42G10 - 42'' Widescreen 1080p LCD HDTV - 40,000:1 Contrast Ratio - TC-P42G10 - Buy.com

Plhilips too out of Plasmas but Philips has turned out marginal player in overall TV business ... they sold US business to a smalltime Jap Brand Funai
Philips License TV Business to Funai

and for long their s speculation that they will be out of TV business

Philips Selling Off TV Business? - TV News - TrustedReviews

as they were struggling with loss .

Philips? TV Business Struggling With 72% Profit Drop

Anyone having feedback on other brands like JVC, Telefunken, Thomson,Grundi,Toshiba etc?

Well Plasma's are not going to die so soon and they are here for good ...

Uploaded few pics of the latest Samsung 860 series the world's thinnest plasmas ...

Enjoy ... :yahoo:

Attachments

• DSCF1621.jpg
    DSCF1621.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF1625.jpg
    DSCF1625.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF1628.jpg
    DSCF1628.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 24p before.jpg
    24p before.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 40
I don't know on what basis you're saying LG is not serious, they seem definitely serious from their range of products, their marketing and their marketshare. Sony dropping out doesn't really mean anything.

I have no doubt that in the near to medium term LCD will outsell plasmas, but even that (LCD dominance) is going to be a phase of a few years, before OLED comes along and trounces everything in its sight.

Even now, the very best LCDs are eclipsed by the very best plasmas, and at sizes like 50", plasma presents far better value (take for eg the 50" samsung B550 plasma for 1 lakh MRP.....what from the LCD camp can match this value?). Samsung makes superb plasmas (weaker in black levels than the panasonics, but superior in colour reproduction and so on), and Panasonic of course is the acknowledged leader.

Plasma will continue to exist, and will probably only "die out" when OLED TVs hit the mainstream, and the quality advantage that plasma offers over LCD will be obliterated by OLED, at which time of course LCD will be the poor man's option, and OLED will be the videophile's choice, before slowly becoming the norm for everyone.

By the way brands like Olivia, Westinghouse and Vizio are bargain basement brands that can't hold a candle to brands like Samsung, Sony and Panasonic.

Thanks for the feedback.....
Anyway my point is LG is omitted and marginal player like Hitachi is excessively praised..

There is nothing against technology of plasma ...but still the point is there are just Handful of playrs remained ....in that what kind of reserch is possible.

Anyway US market is different and the the biggest player is Vizio ....virtually unheard outside...another players are Olivia,Westinghouse etc..

Now I beleive all of these are out of plasma market ,and LG what I heard is not serious ...that leaves Panasonic and Samsung in plasma..

Now think of hundreds of LCD companies reserch vs few comapnis plasma research...

Also Big daddy Sony is out of plasma market for long and panasonic ,staunch beleiver in plasma technology introduced 42 inch LCD

Panasonic TC-P42G10 - 42'' Widescreen 1080p LCD HDTV - 40,000:1 Contrast Ratio - TC-P42G10 - Buy.com

Plhilips too out of Plasmas but Philips has turned out marginal player in overall TV business ... they sold US business to a smalltime Jap Brand Funai
Philips License TV Business to Funai

and for long their s speculation that they will be out of TV business

Philips Selling Off TV Business? - TV News - TrustedReviews

as they were struggling with loss .

Philips? TV Business Struggling With 72% Profit Drop

Anyone having feedback on other brands like JVC, Telefunken, Thomson,Grundi,Toshiba etc?

well plasmas will continue to sell throught 2009 ,their sales are however decreasing by the day .samsung is more aggresive in lcds and higher margins in the new LED tvs are making lcds more favourable,samsung new 09 plasmas contrast levels aren't even close to rivals like panasonic who are pushing the tech to its limits.
samsung is marketing the LED tvs aggresively,next year most lcd tvs will start sporting the LED edge/backlight.samsung doesn't appear they are concentrating much on plasmas their 08 lcds have the edge in contrast compared to their own 09 plasmas.
the plasmas nowdays have the price edge then the performance edge.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back