Price drop on sammy plasmas

@psychotropic, i totally agree with u, only the OLEDs can offset the advantages that plasmas offer, and presently they are out of reach for us mortals.
@adder, well don't think the contrast ratios of comparable models in LCD are higher mate, if so they are Dynamic contrast ratios, not native ones. i might be wrong here, but checked the samsung's site.

@psychotropic, i totally agree with u, only the OLEDs can offset the advantages that plasmas offer, and presently they are out of reach for us mortals.
@adder, well don't think the contrast ratios of comparable models in LCD are higher mate, if so they are Dynamic contrast ratios, not native ones. i might be wrong here, but checked the samsung's site.

U can't compare the PQ and contrast ratio of Plasma with and LCD.

Plasma are much ahead in PQ & Contrast Ratio.Also the newer panels are slimmer than most of the lcd's out there if you see my previous post where i have posted shots of the latest Sammy 860 series ...

OLED may be better, but as of now i wont comment on that as each technology has its own pros and cons. So once it is launched and is reachable to the common man, then will comment on it.

For now i am amazed by the latest plasma's and the craftsmanship, how slim they are ... :yahoo:

few points. samsung is obviously putting more marketing money into their LCDs and LED backlit LCDs, but they're still doing a reasonable amount of marketing for their plasmas. Even in the latest generation the feedback i hear is that Samsung is superior to Panasonic in terms of colour reproduction, while not being as good in black levels, so it's facetious to say that only panasonic is pushing the technology. On most international forums as well, there is a larger preference for Samsung plasmas due to their superior colour reproduction. But whichever you prefer, panasonic or samsung, their plasmas offer better picture, and better value than comparable LCDs.

Both panasonic and samsung have come out with models with much reduced power consumption as well.

And yes, the LED backlit LCDs have an advantage in dynamic contrast ratio, and I am sure you will also agree that dynamic contrast is utterly bogus.

Again I am not suggesting that Plasma will be a volume mover, but in terms of absolute quality they still have the edge on LCD at most price price points. I've even read about the comparison between the local dimming LED backlit LCDs and the best plasmas around, and while the local dimming LED LCDs do achieve dead black in some areas, in terms of pure picture quality I understand the Pioneer Elite Kuros edge them out.

Of course it is tragic that Pioneer has pulled out, but I am fairly sure that Panasonic and Samsung will do enough to keep the slight performance edge they have over LCDs in the near to medium term.

well plasmas will continue to sell throught 2009 ,their sales are however decreasing by the day .samsung is more aggresive in lcds and higher margins in the new LED tvs are making lcds more favourable,samsung new 09 plasmas contrast levels aren't even close to rivals like panasonic who are pushing the tech to its limits.
samsung is marketing the LED tvs aggresively,next year most lcd tvs will start sporting the LED edge/backlight.samsung doesn't appear they are concentrating much on plasmas their 08 lcds have the edge in contrast compared to their own 09 plasmas.
the plasmas nowdays have the price edge then the performance edge.

well i am not talking about dynamic contrast which somestimes can cross the 10000 mark ,some go out of the scale,when i say contrast i always say the more acceptable ANSI contrast the ability to show the deepest blacks and brightest white at the same time.the edgeLED lcd hardly have any advantage in contrast compared to ccfl backlight lcds.only the samsung series 9 ,sony X450A*,the ultra high end sharp models that have local dimming/some with RGB dimming have a significant edge in contrast.

few points. samsung is obviously putting more marketing money into their LCDs and LED backlit LCDs, but they're still doing a reasonable amount of marketing for their plasmas. Even in the latest generation the feedback i hear is that Samsung is superior to Panasonic in terms of colour reproduction, while not being as good in black levels, so it's facetious to say that only panasonic is pushing the technology. On most international forums as well, there is a larger preference for Samsung plasmas due to their superior colour reproduction. But whichever you prefer, panasonic or samsung, their plasmas offer better picture, and better value than comparable LCDs.

Both panasonic and samsung have come out with models with much reduced power consumption as well.

And yes, the LED backlit LCDs have an advantage in dynamic contrast ratio, and I am sure you will also agree that dynamic contrast is utterly bogus.

Again I am not suggesting that Plasma will be a volume mover, but in terms of absolute quality they still have the edge on LCD at most price price points. I've even read about the comparison between the local dimming LED backlit LCDs and the best plasmas around, and while the local dimming LED LCDs do achieve dead black in some areas, in terms of pure picture quality I understand the Pioneer Elite Kuros edge them out.

Of course it is tragic that Pioneer has pulled out, but I am fairly sure that Panasonic and Samsung will do enough to keep the slight performance edge they have over LCDs in the near to medium term.

about samsung colors being better,once again colors are more subjective .contrary to what u find in international forums ,i see panasonic plasma are the most prefered in plasmas.
plasma offer more value for money no denying that,but there are lcds that are better then plasmas, again they may not be in the same price category,but many are willing to pay the extra cash since they just don't prefer the picture of the plasmas mainly due to lack of the crisp picture u get in lcds which give u that "3d soap opera effect" or other reasons like power consumption although many people won't realy care about power consumption.at the same time minority of the people don't like the images from the lcds,for what ever the reason that may be.
pioneer kuro was good because of the contrast advantage it had, even now it has advantage towards a majority of flat panel tvs be it lcd or plasmas.
at the same time it had one of the best image processing tech,prabably only rivaled by the bravia pro engine u find in sony X series.
plasmas todays give u more viewing area/buck ,but lcds are getting cheaper.

Adding to the above discussion -

There is also news floating around that Pioneer may sell their Kuro technology to other manufacturers as they will no longer be in the Plasma business .
If this happens and Samsung or Panasonic ends up buying the Kuro technology from Pioneer and implement the same in their future models, it will be awesome ...

hehe yes that would be excellent
Adding to the above discussion -

There is also news floating around that Pioneer may sell their Kuro technology to other manufacturers as they will no longer be in the Plasma business .
If this happens and Samsung or Panasonic ends up buying the Kuro technology from Pioneer and implement the same in their future models, it will be awesome ...

and adder, so essentially all we are disagreeing on is whether we prefer the picture on LCD and plasma, and that will always be subjective :), but I do hope plasmas remain a significant contender for as long as possible, that will probably push the LCD guys also to achieve greater heights.

hehe yes that would be excellent

and adder, so essentially all we are disagreeing on is whether we prefer the picture on LCD and plasma, and that will always be subjective :), but I do hope plasmas remain a significant contender for as long as possible, that will probably push the LCD guys also to achieve greater heights.

true lcd initialy had poor contrast,response time etc the plasma camp used those drawbacks aggresively to push their plasma,which made lcds manufactures to make lcds we see today,at the same time lcd camp have also made plasma manufactures to make plasmas more efficient and reduced thickness etc.
so in the end competition ultimately is good for the consumers better prices,better performance.:)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back