problem with disabling VGA on mobo

jayad08

hi,
i recently purchased a sparkle 8400GS/512MB PCI graphics card, and am trying to get it working on my mobo which is a 810i chipset with 3 PCI slots. The card is detected fine by XP, and nVidia drivers are installed ok, but the problem is that XP isnt ready to let go of the 810 chipset onboard graphics driver.. even if i disable, uninstall it, its back again every time..
The Yellow Exclamation icon is visible on the 8400GS nVidia drivers in the Device Manager, and the error is 'This device cannot find enough free resources (Error 12)"
so after searching a lot over the internet, the only solution that i see is to disable the VGA onboard somehow.. but the problem is that I do not see an option for that in the BIOS. My BIOS is:
08/22/2000-i810-W83627HF-6A69MPNCC-00 - Procomp Informatics BIW1B/BIW2B
I have come across a links which say that there is a way to hack the BIOS assembly code so that VGA onboard is not initialzied, rather only the PCI is..but too scared to try that..
Here is what all I have tried:
1) Uninstall/Install in strict order(tried various permutations): Remove or disable the onboard display drivers in safe mode and the install nVidia drivers so that windows picks it as the primary display device: Not working-still shows conflict error with Yellow exclamation mark..
2) In the BIOS option tried the PCI first option, VGA buffer memory, and another one ( there is no direct option to disable VGA onboard in BIOS) - Not working
3) Checked the Jumper options in the motherboard manual, one of the options only provides to disable onboard sound but not VGA.

What I am looking for is one of the following:
1) Either to get the VGA onboard disabled somehow
2) WinXP or any other windows based OS which picks the display driver of your choice..
3) Somehow tweaking the windows display driver so that it frees the resources for the nVidia drivers..

Please help..

Last edited:
PCI VGA will only work *in exclusive mode* on boards with no IGP.

For all system configurations, PCI has the highest VGA priority, but plugging in a PCI VGA does not disable onboard graphics, unlike AGP or PCI-E.

This is because the earliest form of dual displays were built on PCI backbone - you could plug in multiple PCI VGA cards for multiple displays.

I am not sure XP understands fully how to deal with the situation.

Your best bet is to boot with the display connected to the 8400GS, boot in safe mode and disable the 810i display in Device Manager.

I am also not sure if you will get hardware acceleration on a PCI card, and even if you did you cannot do anything with it as the PCI bus is killingly slow - slower than even your onboard graphics.

It's honestly a misguided purchase meant only to rescue a system that has lost onboard display and does not have a dedicated graphics bus.

cranky.. thanks man..
please elaborate a little more on the exclusive mode
also i have already tried disabling the drivers in the safe mode without any success.
can you suggest any tweak in XP to manually change the drivers so that they free the resources or the address.. or suggets any other OS, which gives you the liberty of selecting the video card?

i disagree on the misguided purchase part .. with whatever bit of information i could find over a weeks reserch.. there are people out there who run 8400 GS fine on the PCI bus.. however 8500/8600/9800 PCI do not improve much on performance due to the PCI bus limiations..there are others such as 5200/5800/6200 and ATI 1550 but these do not do 1080p..
however the mistake that i could have made was to check on the mobo which has no AGP.. but lets see how does it turn out..

The Yellow Exclamation icon is visible on the 8400GS nVidia drivers in the Device Manager, and the error is 'This device cannot find enough free resources (Error 12)"

these issue are generailly i/o ports or intrupts assigned to multiple devices, for this you can try disabling certain devices like serial ports which you may not need.
also, check in Bios, some where there will be an entry for IRQ TO VGA - the value could be something like - use/on/enable - try these options
-better to check the MB manual.

these issue are generailly i/o ports or intrupts assigned to multiple devices, for this you can try disabling certain devices like serial ports which you may not need.
also, check in Bios, some where there will be an entry for IRQ TO VGA - the value could be something like - use/on/enable - try these options
-better to check the MB manual.

I had tried the IRQ disabling part too.. didnt work, but that time I had some other options for VGA enabled/disabled also , but maybe this time i will just disable this option and check..
As for the other serial ports go, would it make a difference? I suppose the only factor is that onboard VGA is using the 3-4 memory addresses, which is the same as the nVidia drivers, this I also saw in the System Information/Conflicts-Sharing.

IRQ TO VGA - i guess this should be set to positve/enable - use it
the reason for disabling certain devices is to overcome "...find enough free resources ..." these issue.

:sad: :sad:
it seems that it is the motherboard which is the bottleneck..
Enter the motherboard - PC Hardware - News & Features - ITP.net
It says that an immediate upgrade 815 chipset has the option to disable the onboard VGA..but not the 810
Bad..
Now I am in the hunt for a latest BIOS version on the 810, before giving up on my 8400GS.
Maybe I will try to get a 815 for less than 500 in Nehru Place here in Delhi..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back