Problem with Marantz SA 7001

Got a call from the service guy. One of the transistor gone bad & they have replaced. Will call me to check in their auditon room.
Help me on this.... he is ready to trade the CA 740 A at 12K after hard bargain. I have to give my 540A. Told me to auditon with my SA7001.
What would you suggest .
Ok. For 12K it’s a good deal. Is this a new unit or a demo piece they’re offering?

Ok. For 12K it’s a good deal. Is this a new unit or a demo piece they’re offering?
Well a super rich guy went for Dali with Niam and traded off the unit.... the service station owner told me to bring my existing amp.... compare... audition... and then decide.

Well a super rich guy went for Dali with Niam and traded off the unit.... the service station owner told me to bring my existing amp.... compare... audition... and then decide.
Okay. Good. Then please go ahead and audition the unit. If possible carry your bookshelf speakers along.

Okay. Good. Then please go ahead and audition the unit. If possible carry your bookshelf speakers along.
Hmmmm.... thats quite something to carry all those heavy duty staff.... i am an environmentalist and dont drive... so getting that stuff in my brompton would be one helluva ride

Hmmmm.... thats quite something to carry all those heavy duty staff.... i am an environmentalist and dont drive... so getting that stuff in my brompton would be one helluva ride
For this instance do take a cab with all the gear. You won’t regret later on. :)

For this instance do take a cab with all the gear. You won’t regret later on. :)
Hi ,
Am going for audition tomorrow. But before that need to clarify 1 thing.
Diamond 9.2 bookshelf have a max rating of 100W.
CA 740 A has 100W/8 ohm per channel.
Would it be prudent to plug the speakers with this amp?

Hi ,
Am going for audition tomorrow. But before that need to clarify 1 thing.
Diamond 9.2 bookshelf have a max rating of 100W.
CA 740 A has 100W/8 ohm per channel.
Would it be prudent to plug the speakers with this amp?
No issue at all, you may connect. Using a lesser powered amp is more detrimental than a higher powered one, as that can result in clipping and speaker damage at higher volumes. Best wishes with the audition :)

No issue at all, you may connect. Using a lesser powered amp is more detrimental than a higher powered one, as that can result in clipping and speaker damage at higher volumes. Best wishes with the audition :)

Please Suggest good IC’s. Currently i have DAC and not very happy with it

I’ve used DAC ARX01A and Mogami 2534. Both were very good in the budget segment for ICs. Btw which DAC Interconnect are you using?
I dont remember the model.
Anyways got the audition and am more confused than ever.
Played BB king and the 740A was mellow till -24dB. Got the punch at -20 dB onwards.

The confusion stems from using my existing 540A where i have a vol knob and its like rich from 40% onwards. At 60% its like phew.
The service guy gave me the 740A to take home and try with my set up. Couldnt ask for more.
What shall be the next course of action?

I dont remember the model.
Anyways got the audition and am more confused than ever.
Played BB king and the 740A was mellow till -24dB. Got the punch at -20 dB onwards.

The confusion stems from using my existing 540A where i have a vol knob and its like rich from 40% onwards. At 60% its like phew.
The service guy gave me the 740A to take home and try with my set up. Couldnt ask for more.
What shall be the next course of action?
You've got a great service centre near you :) Keep playing, for a week and see if you're liking it. Since you're already impressed, it's likely you'll like it even better as you get used to it

You've got a great service centre near you :) Keep playing, for a week and see if you're liking it. Since you're already impressed, it's likely you'll like it even better as you get used to it

Now i have got my 540A and 740 a for one to one comparison.
Lets see how things unfolds.
Will keep posting.
Thanks for the constant support

Playing robben ford on 740A. Am blown away. 540 A seems as if someone has muffled it up

Playing robben ford on 740A. Am blown away. 540 A seems as if someone has muffled it up

Fast check
1. 540 A at 40% volume - feel is great
2. 740 A at -37dB (graphical display equiv to 40%) -sound is feeble and low
I dont know if i am talking sense.
The feel starts at -22dB (60% of the vol dial of 540A).

Whats your say?

Fast check
1. 540 A at 40% volume - feel is great
2. 740 A at -37dB (graphical display equiv to 40%) -sound is feeble and low
I dont know if i am talking sense.
The feel starts at -22dB (60% of the vol dial of 540A).

Whats your say?
Your display is in dB scale, must be from -84dB (lowest) to 0dB(max volume). -22dB is high up, it means the signal has been attenuated by 22dB from its loudest possible. Do check if ICs are loose, try another speaker terminal. If you have a headphone, try plugging in and see the difference between the 540 and 740 on headphones.
You need to see if there is a input gain control in settings that is giving the lower output. I'm not familiar with this model, but if through the remote or front panel if you can access the system menu, you can see if input gain is set as low. Alternately ask the service center on if they've reduced it.

Your display is in dB scale, must be from -84dB (lowest) to 0dB(max volume). -22dB is high up, it means the signal has been attenuated by 22dB from its loudest possible. Do check if ICs are loose, try another speaker terminal. If you have a headphone, try plugging in and see the difference between the 540 and 740 on headphones.
You need to see if there is a input gain control in settings that is giving the lower output. I'm not familiar with this model, but if through the remote or front panel if you can access the system menu, you can see if input gain is set as low. Alternately ask the service center on if they've reduced it.

The vol control can be customised between dB scale and number scale (0 to 72). I switched it to the later and found that decent output is achieved at 42 (65 %). In my existing 540, i cant stay in the room at 65%.
I check the input gain control and it is set to 0.0 dB. There is an option to set from -5.0 to 0.

So as of now there is something not right.
Will try for a day before i return.
May be dealer is anxious to salvage it.

The vol control can be customised between dB scale and number scale (0 to 72). I switched it to the later and found that decent output is achieved at 42 (65 %). In my existing 540, i cant stay in the room at 65%.
I check the input gain control and it is set to 0.0 dB. There is an option to set from -5.0 to 0.

So as of now there is something not right.
Will try for a day before i return.
May be dealer is anxious to salvage it.
Okay. So input gain is not the issue. Did you try another speaker terminal? Ensure that the connections are firm at speaker and with ICs. If these still don't work, then there is an issue with the board, you'll have to return it.

Okay. So input gain is not the issue. Did you try another speaker terminal? Ensure that the connections are firm at speaker and with ICs. If these still don't work, then there is an issue with the board, you'll have to return it.

I interchanges the speaker and checked the connection. But the problem remains.
I used the same arrangement with my existing 540 A and its output is consistent as before.

I interchanges the speaker and checked the connection. But the problem remains.
I used the same arrangement with my existing 540 A and its output is consistent as before.
It could be a design difference from the manufacturer. In the lower end models like 540A they adopt a linear scale and higher end ones like this it must be a non linear scale.
In a non linear scale, you get more control in the lower part of the curve. So no need to worry, at -22dB you have lot of headroom to go. Enjoy the music!
You can always ask the dealer if this is normal with this particular model, if his answers are not reassuring, you can return them

Last edited:
Back