problem with 'sub out' of yamaha rx v361

jaudere

hello friends, i am using active sub with the yam 361 with xo freq set at 120hz on the receiver. The yam has an option for bass out to front/sub/both. When i set it to the sub option, there is no output from the sub. When i set it to 'both', then only the sub starts playing. I have tried it n no. of times but unable to understand why it is happening so? All this testing was on stereo music. Have not tried it yet on a 5.1 channel music.

hello friends, i am using active sub with the yam 361 with xo freq set at 120hz on the receiver. The yam has an option for bass out to front/sub/both. When i set it to the sub option, there is no output from the sub. When i set it to 'both', then only the sub starts playing. I have tried it n no. of times but unable to understand why it is happening so? All this testing was on stereo music. Have not tried it yet on a 5.1 channel music.

The 'Front' refers to the front speakers, 'both' refers the sub and the Fronts, and 'Sub' refers to the sub woofer only.

The option which will work will depend upon how your set your speakers:

1. If you set your front speakers as large, and sub as 'not present', all frequencies will go to the front speakers.

2. If you set the front speakers as small, low frequencies will be sent to your sub automatically. Your 'sub' option will work only if the front speakers are set to 'small'.

3, If you set your 'sub' as present and your front speakers as Large, data will be sent to your sub only if you choose 'both'.

Cheers

thanks a lot venkat. You have given a pinpoint answer to my problem. I have set front speakers as large. I mean they are physically large with 2 drivers of 8" each with a tweeter on open baffle. I want to protect them from low freq ( they are on open baffle with little protection against excursion). So now i will set them to small. Regards

Venkat has given a crisp answer. This table from yamaha FAQ lists all the bass redirection options available in their AV recievers.

What effect does the Speaker Size and LFE/Bass output settings on my Yamaha A/V Receiver affect the output sound?

If the individual speakers are set to SMALL within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, and the LFE/Bass output is set to SWFR (Sub woofer), the LFE/BASS output that is intended for that speaker will be redirected to the sub woofer.

If the individual speakers are set to SMALL within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, and the LFE/BASS output is set to BOTH, the LFE/BASS that is intended for that speaker will be redirected to the sub woofer.

If the main/front speakers are set to SMALL and the LFE/Bass output is set to MAIN/FRONT within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, the LFE/BASS output would be muted. If the main/front speakers are set to LARGE and any other speaker is set to SMALL and the LFE/BASS output is set to MAIN/FRONT within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, the LFE/BASS output for that other speaker would be sent to the main/front speakers.

If all speakers are set to LARGE and the LFE/BASS output is set to SWFR (Sub woofer) within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, you will only get the discrete LFE (The ".1" in a 5.1 movie) signals directed to the sub woofer.

If any speaker is set to LARGE and the LFE/BASS output is set to BOTH within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, you will only get the LFE/Bass output sent to set to that speaker as well as the sub woofer.

If the main/front speakers are set to LARGE and the LFE/Bass output is set to MAIN/FRONT within the speaker settings option of a Yamaha A/V receiver, you will get the discrete LFE (The ".1" in a 5.1 movie) signals directed to the main/front speakers.

NOTE:
The Speaker Size and LFE/BASS output settings do not apply to Zone 2, Zone 3 or the Multi Channel Inputs.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back