Progressive scan or HDMI

dasukhija

Folks -

Which one renders better quality? HDMI or components/progressive scan output option?

Also what about TVs that dont have HDMI input - but SVideo/RCA and Components (Y Pr Pb) kind of input? Is SVideo better than progressive scan or vice versa?

D

Folks -

Which one renders better quality? HDMI or components/progressive scan output option?

Also what about TVs that dont have HDMI input - but SVideo/RCA and Components (Y Pr Pb) kind of input? Is SVideo better than progressive scan or vice versa?

D

HDMI is an all digital connection which carries both audio and video with just one cable whereas component is an analogue connection which gives only video output but for sound you have to run a separate cable to the audio input jack of your input source.

For a Tv which doesn't have a HDMI input, then in that case if it has a DVI port then you could use that otherwise use the compenent input for video.
Video quality works best in this cycle HDMI/DVI-> Component -> Svideo-> and at last Composit. Choose the one which is at the higher scale in the above cycle.
Progressive scan is an option in which all the lines are displayed simultaniously on your screen so it has to support it.

Folks -

D

Technically for digital display-

HDMI > Component > S-video> composite.

Folks -

D

hi

Progressive scan, and higher resolutions, are not available on composite or s-video connections.

Component video/HDMI support higher resolutions 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and progressive scan.

HDMI delivers the signal in a digital format,the signal never has to undergo digital-to-analog conversion and therefore is less altered along the way.

Both HDMI AND COMPONENT give best results.

Component video/HDMI support higher resolutions 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and progressive scan.

Component stops at 720 for progressive scan and goes up to 1080i for interlaced. It does NOT support 1080P. Only DVI and HDMI support 1080P, and DVI is now dead.

Cheers

Component stops at 720 for progressive scan and goes up to 1080i for interlaced. It does NOT support 1080P. Only DVI and HDMI support 1080P, and DVI is now dead.

Cheers

In certain applications component does support 1080p:-

Popular gaming consoles such as the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 support 1080p over component video, which is used throughout games, but if playing back an AACS protected movie they will only output 1080i, in an attempt to keep the video pirates away.(1080p Component Video - HDTV Reviews)

& here also they say it does support(Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

REASON FOR NOT BEING SO POPULAR:-

Basically, HDTVs use a fair amount of circuitry and processing power to decode incoming signals before displaying an image on the screen. Because HDMI has long been planned to be 'the connection' for HD signals, most manufacturers have built 1080p HDTVs that are only able to accept 1080p via HDMI. Consequently, only a few 1080p capable HDTVs support 1080p signals via Component connections, which are generally restricted to 1080i. A few more 1080p HDTVs will accept an analog 1080p signal via VGA, but often only with the addition of a VGA-to-DVI dongle. To put it simply, trying to work with 1080p without HDMI is very difficult.

Thanks folks. So I will continue to use HDMI for my LCD TV and for my Philips pixel plus CRT; I will move from plain RCA to component based.

I can use the same set of wires though right? Those additional set of RCAs?

My CRT TV has progressive scan option and I will enable that as well.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back