Project A/D Phono Box S

Hi Shankyss,

I have not heard this particular unit but have owned similar project ones without the a to d converter. Performance would be similar I’m guessing. These are very solid options that perform well if that’s around your budget. I use a behringer UFO 202 or some such number which is a converter to record vinyl. It also has a built in phono stage. The converter is superb when used with my regular phono. It was around 2.5k years back might be 3-4K now. Mentioning this so you can consider an option of a cheaper equivalent phono unit and a behringer type A2D converter if you want to explore such an option. However you’ll have the headache of one more connection. Else the unit you’ve mentioned should be good based on my project phono box experience years back.

Regards

Nice info and first time I am coming across this concept
@stevieboy, if the phonostage has a a/d converter, would that mean that it can be wired directly to a DAC or Digital input of the amp? I have no experience with this tech, hence the noob query. The reason for the thought process is i was wondering whether the sweetvinyl noise reduction unit can be used in the chain, digitally.

Hi Reuben,

Generally these units take input from your turntable directly and you then use the unit’s built in phono capabilities or you can plug your external phono into the unit as a line level in to use it’s USB capability to connect to your computer and send the converted line level digital audio into the computer. Then you open the software of your choice like GarageBand or Audacity to record the input from your turntable. Volume can generally be adjusted in the software to ensure it doesn’t clip or go into the red zone. These units generally take power from the USB. My Behringer does. The ProJect unit might take wall power.

As regards your amp, such a unit would work as a regular phonostage via RCA outputs into your amp.

Unfortunately I have no idea what the sweetvinyl noise reduction unit is and therefore how it would work here. Noise reduction can be applied in the software itself.

Regards

A great sounding Phono stage very similar to their Phono Stage "Classic" model, slightly better in fact. Plus has the advantage of digitizing your collection as a back up or to share with friends who dont own record players. If you have the budget and the specific need of having a A/D option,i would recommend it . All the best!

Back