Mid range phono stages

reignofchaos

Looking to upgrade my phono in a few months. Here are the options I've shortlisted. Please let me know if I have missed any that might be worth auditioning/buying. I'm limited to a 3-4lac budget. Ideally would want it to be below 3L but can stretch a bit if something high value is available.

What I need - at least two inputs (One MM, One MC) or two MC. Decent mc loading options.

Dr Feickert Vero - this is slightly over budget but I've heard the smaller brother (Vero S) in my system and loved it. Very detailed, dynamic but still very smooth for a solid state unit. Available locally at an excellent price.

Modwright PH9.0X - Universal acclaim for this one - seems to be seriously good value. No chance to audition - have to import.

Lyric Audio PS10 - Another tube unit - Very highly rated by someone I know and available at a good price. No chance to audition but available at an excellent price.

EAR 324 (SS) and 88PB (Tube) - might be possible to audition at least equivalent of the 88PB as distributor has the 912 preamp which has the same phono inside. Both are over budget.

OAD Ultrafidelity - Might get a chance to audition this soon. However never heard of this before until someone I know got this in to try out.

Aurorasound Vida - Again recommended by someone who is bigtime into Vinyl. Have to import.

Last edited:
Looking to upgrade my phono in a few months. Here are the options I've shortlisted. Please let me know if I have missed any that might be worth auditioning/buying. I'm limited to a 3-4lac budget. Ideally would want it to be below 3L but can stretch a bit if something high value is available.

What I need - at least two inputs (One MM, One MC) or two MC. Decent mc loading options.

Dr Feickert Vero - this is slightly over budget but I've heard the smaller brother (Vero S) in my system and loved it. Very detailed, dynamic but still very smooth for a solid state unit. Available locally at an excellent price.

Modwright PH9.0X - Universal acclaim for this one - seems to be seriously good value. No chance to audition - have to import.

Lyric Audio PS10 - Another tube unit - Very highly rated by someone I know and available at a good price. No chance to audition but available at an excellent price.

EAR 324 (SS) and 88PB (Tube) - might be possible to audition at least equivalent of the 88PB as distributor has the 912 preamp which has the same phono inside. Both are over budget.

OAD Ultrafidelity - Might get a chance to audition this soon. However never heard of this before until someone I know got this in to try out.

Aurorasound Vida - Again recommended by someone who is bigtime into Vinyl. Have to import.

if you have already heard it why not go for the Vero ?If not the Lyric looks like a great option

the Vida and 324 are also excellent options..the latter more detailed and the former more colourful.

if you have already heard it why not go for the Vero ?If not the Lyric looks like a great option

the Vida and 324 are also excellent options..the latter more detailed and the former more colourful.
Yes Vero seems like the most logical option and I liked the baby Vero S when I heard it. However it is expensive at 5000 Euro even if hand carried and due to demand, there is no discounts.

@Dr.Bass tells me my first choice should be the modwright knowing my taste. It seems good from every angle other than unavailability. I have pinged them on whether they can sell it directly. Let's see if they reply back.

Yes Vero seems like the most logical option and I liked the baby Vero S when I heard it. However it is expensive at 5000 Euro even if hand carried and due to demand, there is no discounts.

@Dr.Bass tells me my first choice should be the modwright knowing my taste. It seems good from every angle other than unavailability. I have pinged them on whether they can sell it directly. Let's see if they reply back.
i dont know much about the modwright but they are well engineered. ALl these are good phonos no doubt and pretty well mathched in features

The only differentiator is the sound which will all be different. to help simplify I would suggest to go with a tube in a Phono, from all I have learnt , if done well in terms to reduction on noise they give a far more of detailing and engagement around tonal richness than SS phonos and it makes a difference especially when you listen to Vocals.

Or LR or LCR phonos.

May be worth looking at Goldnote PH-10 with PSU -10 (optional external power supply)
My existing Mod Squad/McCormack (Stereophile Class A in the early 2000's) would probably give serious competition to the PH10 and similarly priced phonos. Looking for a step up from there that would not bottleneck my TT.

I have used the Hagerman Labs Trumpet for a few years now. Completely tube based phono and amazing performance....
You can check their site... Hagerman Audio Labs...
Looks really interesting! Does it have matching high quality power supply? How do you power it? I only see a 15v jack at the back.

Y
Looks really interesting! Does it have matching high quality power supply? How do you power it? I only see a 15v jack at the back.
He provides a wall wart .... Else you need to get an external LPSU... I have till now been running with the wall wart with excellent results..

Hi, If you are looking at the Vero then just a little bump in the budget would get you the mola mola Lupe with 4 inputs . # unbalanced and 1 balanced. Also you can change settings on the fly through the app. Do check it out.
Cheers!
Anand

Got to try the Stein Music Signature Phono at home. Its an incredibly natural sounding phono - super tonality, deep bass (as deep my speakers can get) and incredible dynamics. The harmonic content is preserved really well and this is easily the best SS phono I have heard so far. Considering that the phono is running on the basic power supply and has a better power supply available, I can only imagine how good this will sound once that is there too.

Decided to hold off on buying an expensive phono at the current moment as larger things in the setup are in a state of flux. I need to freeze on my speaker first before I move elsewhere. Putting most of my speakers and amps on sale and starting afresh.

In the meanwhile an EAR 834p came up in the used market and have decided to snag it for the moment as a stop gap until the chain is upgraded and something is done to the room. Need to get a decent SUT too - deciding on that right now.

Any opinions?

I have no idea of ZYX cartridge loading and how much gain it needs. I think the numbers are different from DL 103. In which case the same SUT will not work for both.

I think EAR has a step up with multiple loadings. Its probably called MC4

The Auditorium 23 step up is excellent for the DL 103.

Last edited:
I have no idea of ZYX cartridge loading and how much gain it needs. I think the numbers are different from DL 103. In which case the same SUT will not work for both.

I think EAR has a step up with multiple loadings. Its probably called MC4

The Auditorium 23 step up is excellent for the DL 103.
Zyx is .23mV and 4 ohm impedance.

The EAR MC4 should be fine with both. It’s expensive though if bought in India.

Much cheaper to buy from abroad

But if you are going to spend over 2000 euros it might be cheaper to get a nude TSD 15 and the matching EMT step up. I think that’s what Arj and Dr Bass have. Not sure though. Check with them.

The EMT step up with the TSD 15 into the EAR 834 sounds good. I have owned that combo.

The phono might not be upto Dr Bass critical levels:) But I think the combo sounds fine.

I was the first owner of the EAR 834 that you have right now :)

In analogue, the synergy is way more important than pieces of individual brilliance. At least that’s what I believe in

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back