Project Carbon Debut DC - Upgrade questions

fLUX

Hi,

Had a few long terms questions regarding the Project Carbon Debut DC which I procured
i) Is this TT good enough from a long term perspective from individual components upgrade. Lets assume that I decide to upgrade the cartridge & stylus to ortofon black & maybe the platter to acryli in long run, are the rest of the components good enough or the only better way is to get a new TT ? (No plans in near future at all , just curious to understand)

ii) I have a behringer PP500 as a pre , is this good enough or what would be a good phono pre. The behringer feeds in the schiit saga+ , but I feel if the behringer itself is a weak link then I would like to get a better phono pre

iii) Can you please suggest some good TT stands or custom options , I intend to house 2 rows of LPs with the turntable hosted on the top. Need some table to support the same, unable to find anything good online

May I ask what are you presently lacking with your current cart (assuming it’s default Ortofon Red ) and phono pre ?

for iii) best option is to get designs from online sites and get it built from local carpenter.I got a fantastic one made for only 6000 inclusive everything from a local good carpenter after I gave him the design with measurements. Check out below :

Last edited:
May I ask what are you presently lacking with your current cart (assuming it’s default Ortofon Red ) and phono pre ?

for iii) best option is to get designs from online sites and get it built from local carpenter.I got a fantastic one made for only 6000 inclusive everything from a local good carpenter after I gave him the design with measurements. Check out below :

I honestly do not not know what is missing as I have not had the opportunity of listening to other systems.

Point no.i is more of a good to know and point no ii is purely because there are so many phono phonos rated better vs the behringer. Curious to understand if it's indeed a weak link and what is a better option.

I honestly do not not know what is missing as I have not had the opportunity of listening to other systems.

Point no.i is more of a good to know and point no ii is purely because there are so many phono phonos rated better vs the behringer. Curious to understand if it's indeed a weak link and what is a better option.
You're more than welcome to come over for a listen when things ease up. PM me your number we'll stay in touch.

Regards

Behringer is not a very good phono.
I am using CNC Phono which is superb bang for buck made by @sachu888 . To me it’s better than Schiit Mani.
If you want to spend more , you can always get better phono pres- you can go tube phono also if you fancy tube sound (I’m getting one made for myself ).

For i) Much better VFM would be Shure V15 type iii or type iv than Ortofon Black. I’ve heard both and their detail and resolution is incredible.

Lastly Debut Carbon DC is one of the best turntables below 70K made in the last two decades. It has consistently got rave reviews since the time it came out. I’m a happy user for one. An upgrade would come only at TTs priced above 1L-1.3L.

Also don’t waste money on acrylic platter. It makes no improvement to anything other than purely visual pleasure.

Hi,

Had a few long terms questions regarding the Project Carbon Debut DC which I procured
i) Is this TT good enough from a long term perspective from individual components upgrade. Lets assume that I decide to upgrade the cartridge & stylus to ortofon black & maybe the platter to acryli in long run, are the rest of the components good enough or the only better way is to get a new TT ? (No plans in near future at all , just curious to understand)

ii) I have a behringer PP500 as a pre , is this good enough or what would be a good phono pre. The behringer feeds in the schiit saga+ , but I feel if the behringer itself is a weak link then I would like to get a better phono pre

iii) Can you please suggest some good TT stands or custom options , I intend to house 2 rows of LPs with the turntable hosted on the top. Need some table to support the same, unable to find anything good online
Your system is crying out for a new phono stage :)

You're more than welcome to come over for a listen when things ease up. PM me your number we'll stay in touch.

Regards

Thanks for the kind offer , will surely PM you.

Behringer is not a very good phono.
I am using CNC Phono which is superb bang for buck made by @sachu888 . To me it’s better than Schiit Mani.
If you want to spend more , you can always get better phono pres- you can go tube phono also if you fancy tube sound (I’m getting one made for myself ).

For i) Much better VFM would be Shure V15 type iii or type iv than Ortofon Black. I’ve heard both and their detail and resolution is incredible.

Lastly Debut Carbon DC is one of the best turntables below 70K made in the last two decades. It has consistently got rave reviews since the time it came out. I’m a happy user for one. An upgrade would come only at TTs priced above 1L-1.3L.
Thanks for the elaborate reply. Few questions
i) I have the behringer feeding into a tube pre already, so assuming that a pre with tube stage is not needed should. How are the project phonos, in addition to CNC any other good phonos under 40k budget?

ii) Great to know my options. I would most likely stick to Ortofon 2m Blue for a decent amount of time. The Project certainly seems well received online & I liked the sound too.

I use this. Easily better than inbuilt phonos and the one in PM6005. It's also marginally better than the one in PM8006, which is a well regarded one. Better resolution in the higher registers and lower noise floor. Cartridge is AT VM540ML.
I don't know how it compares to popular ProJect on Schiit models though.

Thanks for the kind offer , will surely PM you.

Thanks for the elaborate reply. Few questions
i) I have the behringer feeding into a tube pre already, so assuming that a pre with tube stage is not needed should. How are the project phonos, in addition to CNC any other good phonos under 40k budget?

ii) Great to know my options. I would most likely stick to Ortofon 2m Blue for a decent amount of time. The Project certainly seems well received online & I liked the sound too.
There’s an excellent tube phonostage called Parks Audio Budgie , it’s handmade in US. If you can handcarry it will be around 50K INR. From the experience of a veteran TT user with high end Technics gear and tube chain , Budgie is tough to beat even at 800$.

There’s an excellent tube phonostage called Parks Audio Budgie , it’s handmade in US. If you can handcarry it will be around 50K INR. From the experience of a veteran TT user with high end Technics gear and tube chain , Budgie is tough to beat even at 800$.

Thanks, let me have a look at it.

The musical fidelity phonos look interesting but unable to find a dealer here :( Audio Planet has the brand listed, but I would rather use the Behringer than ask them.

Have you checked out Lyrita preamps ?
They are very well regarded in the community, handmade in India.
Aware of Lyrita, have not tried out their preamps though. I would prefer for the tube stage to be outside the phono line (probably a tube buffer) as then it can be shared across the other sources.

@fLUX , CNC made by Sachin is an awesome phono pre within a budget. I have many other phono in different cost slabs, but sweetness and grip of CNC is superb. A wise investment would never let you down with regret even you are upgrading in future with a high end phono.

Thanks,
Sourav

I second the opinion of @ souravin . I have also a CNC phono made by Sachin and it is really a VFM product. It is better than the inbuilt phono of my marantz pm 6005 . After adding the CNC , I get a change in mid range and bass. I am very happy with this black beauty.
Regards

Back