Projector Issues

Whatever I searched on rental points to the fact that its legal or least legal with license from the owner of the copyright.

Mothay is well established so I assume that he has whatever licenses is required. I'll ask when I visit the store next time (which is rare though).

Your comment on the rent of 100 Rs for an older Blu-ray being expensive is interesting. So what amount would we be willing to pay for Blu-ray quality download (or rental), given that Blu-ray is the best consumer format around?

Have been renting from motays and C9 since 10+yrs they source discs from same person from whom i too have bought several discs ,this guy gets his profit (a 2nd or 3rd leech in the chain) and is in no way in a position to issue a copyright license

the ONLY discs that can be legally rented are the once bought here in india thro the official distributors who give a license from the owner of the copyright (that would be Reg C discs or multiregion discs released by big home/excel/eagle etc etc )
you are in no way legally renting a reg A /multiregion disc sourced from outside

so nxt time the delivery boy drops off a reg A BD think abt it , as per your views you need to kindly return the disk and ask for the official indian release which your rental guy is entitled to rent

what made you assume that i claimed 100/- rental as high?? (in fact compared to C9 it is high by 30/ -for same service ) i simply wouldnt pay a leech who is trying to make money in a illegal way ,if ever the rental shop stocks only legal discs (sourced from here) he shud close shop in no time as v all would like to watch only imported discs and newer movies at a faster rate ,so why would i pay even 50/- for an older movie when todays movies are available @ my finger tips

as far as willingness to pay for high res movie D/L ,most of us guys here are well to do and know all pros and cons and if the movie is coming direct from its true owners cutting out all 3rd parties i would be glad to pay what ever they charge (am sure it wouldnt amount to a little more than a quarter of the disc price)

In a civilized society, one should always remember that one does not wear shoes after bath, we need to wear our clothes first.
One does not wear shoes before their clothes for practical reasons and it has nothing to do with being "civilized" or not. If someone finds it more convenient to wear their shoes first and it does not obstruct them from wearing their trousers, I am sure no one in this world will be offended by it or find that person to be uncivilized. Seriously, I am at a total loss to understand the relevance of these arguments in context of illegal downloads.

PS: Downloads by themselves are not illegal or wrong. It is the downloading of copyrighted material without compensating the owner of the copyrighted material, that makes it illegal and immoral.

I think this used to be a great thread in 'how to buy/choose a projector' and has gone way off topic. Can the mods move this part of the discussion to the lounge?

Myths & Realites

Santosh,

Actually i and Subash were discussing the benefits of downloading and our Sanjay, came in with his respective views and then suddenly from nowhere the bomb was dropped in the name of Anna Hazare, and it snow balled into exposing the myths and realities. :)

To continue ......

V.

So friends, let us make the discussion a technical one. Let us talk about the source media i.e., 720p, 1080p, Bluray etc instead of how you got the actual media.

Re: Myths & Realites

Santosh,

Actually i and Subash were discussing the benefits of downloading and our Sanjay, came in with his respective views and then suddenly from nowhere the bomb was dropped in the name of Anna Hazare, and it snow balled into exposing the myths and realities. :)

To continue ......

V.
:lol:, All this happens so often ON HFV that i just can't stop myself Laughing out loud

PS: I am in no way claiming that I am totally free of any guilt and that I ahve never done what I myself consider to be unethical and or immoral. But I do honestly try to adhere to my values as much as I can and even when at times I fail to live upto my own conscience, I atleast do not delude myself into believing that somehow I was justified in doing so by making up excuses.

Me too. Thats put perfectly, thank you.

Ethics - Law

Santosh,

If there is no law, i think most of the population will like to avail the diamond, especially when the markets are so high. :)

I think the diamond is a far thought, if there is no rule for traffic signal, there will be a complete disaster, so we can imagine what will be done to the diamond.

If a moderator is not there on the forum, then i think hifivision will loose it's good image sooner then later. :cool:

For me moral of story is simple, strict rules should be in place keeping every one's interest in mind on sensible and fair grounds, it should not be that they want to tie the lace even before wearing the shoe.

To continue ........

V.

Am asking from the ethics standpoint Vinay. If there is no law, will you be part of the stampede to capture a diamond? Have you ever required a moderator to control your writings here or elsewhere?

Even renting an Indian release is strictly not legal unless the library has bought the original stuff along with the rights/license to rent. This very few library have and none of the local ones have.

Even playing your favourite songs from an original CD bought by you is illegal if done in a public place like an auditorium or party etc...

I feel some of this is stretching the legality too far against hapless consumers who cannot negotiate better rights.

so nxt time the delivery boy drops off a reg A BD think abt it , as per your views you need to kindly return the disk and ask for the official indian release which your rental guy is entitled to rent

Disc - Rip

Indeed a blue ray may be the best consumer format around, but for movie freaks there are many other issues to take a call, the result is that such people prefer to go for the downloading route, there is enough in-direct evidence to this as threaded in earlier posts.

To continue .......

V.

Blu-ray is the best consumer format around?

Sanjay,

I think your writing is nothing short of fantasy, from where do you get the idea that it is like suggesting about we having the right to kill and murder. I think one should have the ability to realize that the manufacturers rarely care what happens to the end user, it is the goverment and related bodies who need to keep a tab about the end users other then the bonafides. ;)

To continue .....

V.

It is like suggesting that since there are guns & knives, we have the right to kill and murder. The amnufacturers of the guns and knives are not responsible for how the guns & knives are used and there are many legal uses of guns & knives.

Last edited:
Today I managed to compare Enemy of the State on Star Movies HD vs Blu-ray. I compared the scene in which Will Smith is calling the police to report the van outside the house. The blu-ray has noticiable more detail in his cap and face and neck, the Star Movies one is sort of smudged, which is an ovbious indication of high compression.

The Blu-ray is about 30GB odd, and exact video bitrate is 19.14Mbps (and its MPEG-2). The Star Movies HD's bit rate is difficult to tell, but reading around in google tells it may be around 12Mbps (don't know the compression algo), so for 132 minutes movie it should be about 11.5GB in size.

Size/compression wise the Star Movies telecast should be fair repersentative of a download, I hope.

Now I have seen much worse quality on Blu-rays than on Star Movies, e.g. Air Force One, which is poor, but the fact is Air Force One on Blu-ray would be the best possible version of Air Force One you can buy today.
So having spent a good amount of money on one's system (any decent projection system + audio would at least be a couple of lakhs), one really does not want to keep wondering whether what they seeing is the best available or not. Instead just get the Blu-ray version and be happy that it's probably the best around. At least that's my thinking.

Today I managed to compare Enemy of the State on Star Movies HD vs Blu-ray. I compared the scene in which Will Smith is calling the police to report the van outside the house. The blu-ray has noticiable more detail in his cap and face and neck, the Star Movies one is sort of smudged, which is an ovbious indication of high compression.

The Blu-ray is about 30GB odd, and exact video bitrate is 19.14Mbps (and its MPEG-2). The Star Movies HD's bit rate is difficult to tell, but reading around in google tells it may be around 12Mbps (don't know the compression algo), so for 132 minutes movie it should be about 11.5GB in size.

Size/compression wise the Star Movies telecast should be fair repersentative of a download, I hope.

Now I have seen much worse quality on Blu-rays than on Star Movies, e.g. Air Force One, which is poor, but the fact is Air Force One on Blu-ray would be the best possible version of Air Force One you can buy today.
So having spent a good amount of money on one's system (any decent projection system + audio would at least be a couple of lakhs), one really does not want to keep wondering whether what they seeing is the best available or not. Instead just get the Blu-ray version and be happy that it's probably the best around. At least that's my thinking.

that's average bit rate for a sat tv

more critical than ABR is the peak bitrate; where in scenes that have motion can still be shown with detail. this is where sat tv loses as they cannot handle hig bit rates.. (in a cricket telecast; when the camera is focussed on a static shot, you'll get plenty of detail but the moment the camera pans, you lose that detail)

ever wondered why all those demo shots of sony bravias that you see in the shops are such slow pans?

for BDs the peak bit rate is 40Mbps for the video stream (in most cases that would work out double of the ABR, so more than enough data tohandle high motion)

for that reason a bd rip with an ABR of 12mbps will almost definitely look much better than a sat tv grab at the same avg bit rate (cos the peaks in the rip will be higher)

that's average bit rate for a sat tv

more critical than ABR is the peak bitrate; where in scenes that have motion can still be shown with detail. this is where sat tv loses as they cannot handle hig bit rates.. (in a cricket telecast; when the camera is focussed on a static shot, you'll get plenty of detail but the moment the camera pans, you lose that detail)

ever wondered why all those demo shots of sony bravias that you see in the shops are such slow pans?

for BDs the peak bit rate is 40Mbps for the video stream (in most cases that would work out double of the ABR, so more than enough data tohandle high motion)

for that reason a bd rip with an ABR of 12mbps will almost definitely look much better than a sat tv grab at the same avg bit rate (cos the peaks in the rip will be higher)

Your facts are right, but not the conclusion in this case.

The scene I compared is pretty much static scene. So in this case the actual bitrate used either in sat or rip or blu-ray should be on the lower side of average.

Morals

Sanjay,

I think this is nothing short of a myth when you say one downloads movies to save money, though it may be true by a fraction, as for many of us money saving is not the criteria to download, please get your facts right.

The other reasons which you are saying is true to why downloading happens while that is a another story that there are much more benefits to download as threaded, but these can be well understood by the one's who have the ability to realize. To sum it up, the benefits which a download gives, a disc can never ever give and yet these are found as excuses for a download. ;)

So the story goes on, it is not going to help in targeting the shoes or laces, by doing this one is not going to achieve anything, even Ana Hazare will agree loud and clear that first others have to be tackled as threaded, which means first go for the big sharks as there is zero moral value in tinkering with the small fishes. :rolleyes:

To continue ......

V.

One chooses to download copyrighted material for various reasons such as, to save money, to overcome non-availability, or for reasons of convenience or may be even a combination of these reasons. But in all honesty none of these reasons in anyways justify what is quite honestly an illegal and immoral act and at the very least one should not try to defend it by providing feable and far fetched excuses.

Last edited:
Morals - Public Forums

Well yesterday Airtel, put up a huge banner stating "download 20 movies in a night with their high download speed". :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping:

On the other hand when we download a movie, it is being said that this is not legal, moral issues being raked, laced that such things should not be discussed openly in a forum and what not, while the Internet service providers, media player companies, ETC can make huge money by selling their products and advertise all around the world about downloads and related, this is nothing short of attacking the shoe lace, while leaving the dress directly or in-directly Scott free. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

V.

Last edited:
DL movies take less space(BD-rip)than actual Blurays.Even one can store lot movies in single Harddisc than to store BDs/DVDs.It takes more space.

Re: Natural Death Of Lamp?

Actually when the lamp stops working, it can be very sudden and abrupt. Last time I had to change my lamp, it dies on me all of a sudden and in fact actually short of the company rated life. I was watching a movie and I paused it for dinner. After finishing my dinner when I started the projector, it never came back on and I ahd to replace the lamp.

Hi! Sanjay! I use the same projector as yours Pt ae 4000 and after 1800 hrs my projector requires a new lamp working on normal and adjustments made, not on economy, so thats fine with me. What i need to know is have you changed your lamp and how much have you paid for it? Thanks!

Re: Natural Death Of Lamp?

Hi! Sanjay! I use the same projector as yours Pt ae 4000 and after 1800 hrs my projector requires a new lamp working on normal and adjustments made, not on economy, so thats fine with me. What i need to know is have you changed your lamp and how much have you paid for it? Thanks!
I have changed a lamp, but that was on the Panasonic AE-2000U, which I have now sold and replaced with the Panasonic AE-4000U. In fact my AE-4000U is still brand new and has not even been plugged in yet, since I am waiting for my new screen. Anyhow, I had gotten the the lamp for the AE-2000 from the US and it had cost me $400 if I remember correctly. I had been quoted a price of Rs. 20,000 here in India, but inspite of my ordering it all I got was the run around for almost a month, before I got tired and got the lamp from the US.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back