Projector Issues

Re: Disc - Rip

You have seen a 20gb & 35gb disc, and you are saying that the quality difference is there, but movies are different, so the quality often can not be the same due to a different seller, type of recording, etc. :)
V.

Thats true.

Subhash/Vinay
On the other hand, what movies have you compared and concluded? If you can give me a few names, and if I have the BD of one of these, then I can download the rip of that movie and compare with the BD.

If one watches movie in a 42 inch tv from 8/10 feet, will he find difficulty in seeing the quality difference between a rip and disc? Please advice. :licklips:
V.

Can't comment about rips vs disc, but certainly noticing the difference beteen 720p vs 1080p was a challenge for me.

Stolen

Sanjay,

Indeed disc quality is likely to be better then a rip, but when we total all the pros and cons, a rip is likely to visit hand's down. :licklips:

If stealing everything in life was as easy as downloading rips, then most of us would have been stealing, be assured on this. It is the law which needs to be tackled for downloads. ;)

We are a fraction of culprits for such down loadings so the stolen label comes most least on us, it is the main people who should be dealt with.

I think many of us will be ready to ease our wallets for such downloads because most of the members here are likely to be from repute back ground and are the one's who have been buying original DVDs and blue ray's. :yahoo:

V.

First of all, there is a clearly noticeable difference between the original blu-ray and it's 5-7gb rip. Ofcourse the difference is less discernable if viewing on a 720p projector, but then that is not a fair comparison since the original blu-ray is capable of far more.

Secondly, stolen goods, which these downloads are, are all much cheaper than goods purchased legally. Thus any such comparison of value between stolen goods and legally procurred blu-rays is not fair or justified. I suppose based on this logic of value, we must all stop buying stuff and simply steal everything we want or need. It would definately be far easier on all our wallets.

Thats true.

Subhash/Vinay
On the other hand, what movies have you compared and concluded? If you can give me a few names, and if I have the BD of one of these, then I can download the rip of that movie and compare with the BD.

Can't comment about rips vs disc, but certainly noticing the difference beteen 720p vs 1080p was a challenge for me.

hi yrk

i dont think a comparision is needed an original bd is no doubt better but the D/l rip is close to the original with added advantages

since v are from the same city may be i could share a few files with you

comparing may not be possible as it would take ages for official release of most BD's

rgrds

Last edited:

hi yrk

i dont think a comparision is needed an original bd is no doubt better but the D/l rip is close to the original with added advantages

since v are from the same city may be i could share a few files with you

comparing may not be possible as it would take ages for official release of most BD's

rgrds

That's a nice idea, or why don't you drop by at my place with few rips so we can do the comparison together with BDs I have? Maybe we can convince each other of how close they are?

Adversary

Mandeep,

Well there will be many members who are stuck with movies which they have bought and they have to go through the un-necessary mess of selling them at a discount and what not, laced likely with full fledged frustration. In view to this fact of adversary, the smart movie watcher has diversified to good quality rips or a library for disc. :yahoo:

I think it is always better to have one source for watching movies let it be a media or blue ray player. ;)

V.

Right and Very well said by Vinay, the repeat value is all that counts, during the VCD era i purchased hundreds of them now all are eating dust in my store room.

I have purchased only a few DVD's and took Bigflix membership continuously for 4 years to fulfill hunger for movies.

BR rips is the way to go now man for shure as bluray disc's are still too costly.

yup, 720p PJ is sufficient as majority of the BR rips are in 720p. I also wonder if downloading is the way to go for most of us then these expensive BR disc players that we have purchased will feel jealous of our Media players:), now i feel i shouldn't have purchased my expensive BR disc player and should have experimented with media players first.

Re: Stolen

If stealing everything in life was as easy as downloading rips, then most of us would have been stealing, be assured on this. It is the law which needs to be tackled for downloads. ;)
One would hope that it is more than just the fear of the law, that makes society look down upon stealing. The fact that it is ethically and morally wrong to steal, ought to be enough to dissuade a person from stealing. The fact that this is not the case anymore, is a true reflection of how unethical and immoral our country has become, wherein not only are people no longer afraid to steal, but they are actually brazen enough to proudly declare and advocate the same in a public forum. The hypocrisy of it all is, that at the same time we complain about corruption by politicians and bureaucrats and make hollow pledges in support of campaigns against corruption, such as the one by 'Anna Hazare'. The truth is, that all this is just a case of sour grapes and that the real and only problem most people have with corruption is that they themselves have not gotten the opportunity to make crores from all the scams. Every society & country gets exactly what it deserves. After all you reap what you sow and with the total lack of moral and ethcial values in our country today, we fully deserve the corrupt politicians and bureaucrats that we have. They too, after all, come from our midst and not from some alien planet.

Re: Stolen

One would hope that it is more than just the fear of the law, that makes society look down upon stealing. The fact that it is ethically and morally wrong to steal, ought to be enough to dissuade a person from stealing. The fact that this is not the case anymore, is a true reflection of how unethical and immoral our country has become, wherein not only are people no longer afraid to steal, but they are actually brazen enough to proudly declare and advocate the same in a public forum. The hypocrisy of it all is, that at the same time we complain about corruption by politicians and bureaucrats and make hollow pledges in support of campaigns against corruption, such as the one by 'Anna Hazare'. The truth is, that all this is just a case of sour grapes and that the real and only problem most people have with corruption is that they themselves have not gotten the opportunity to make crores from all the scams. Every society & country gets exactly what it deserves. After all you reap what you sow and with the total lack of moral and ethcial values in our country today, we fully deserve the corrupt politicians and bureaucrats that we have. They too, after all, come from our midst and not from some alien planet.

sanjay i assume you are great ,keep it up

i also do assume you must have done a lot of great things to man kind by not getting into downloading ,keep it up n all the best for further good deeds for the country and the world
kindly do not make uncalled for comparisions

rgrds

Intentions

Sanjay,

I think you need to read my post again so that i can get specific answer to my writing and you need to realize my good intentions. :)

V.

Re: Intentions

Sanjay,

I think you need to read my post again so that i can get specific answer to my writing and you need to realize my good intentions. :)

V.

hello vinay, subash. sanjay

The LAW lags behind. Going by the rule "you reap what you sow", i remember how certain companies were involved in price fixing of HDTV's, and how effectively, cleverly some companies dump their below par products here in India and how a much better HD-DVD format lost war to Bluray and why Bluray players were too costly for a long long time------> i think they are getting back what they did to innocent people who feel cheated by so called reputed brands.

i think they are getting back what they did to innocent people who feel cheated by so called reputed brands.
Please don't tell me that you actually believe that the wrongs of one, justifies the wrong of another.

how a much better HD-DVD format lost war to Bluray
Where in the world did you get this idea? HD-DVD was a format that only built upon the DVD format and was thus only evolutionary at best. It was not only inferior to blu-ray but it also had many limitations which meant that no further improvement to the format were possible. Blu-ray on the other hand was an almost brand new format which has room for further growth and development. The only advantage HD-DVD had over blu-ray was that it was cheaper in the initial stages of the product life cycle, but then that is to be expected when comparing a revolutionary brand new format compared to one that simply evolves from an existing format.

Please don't tell me that you actually believe that the wrongs of one, justifies the wrong of another.

Where in the world did you get this idea? HD-DVD was a format that only built upon the DVD format and was thus only evolutionary at best. It was not only inferior to blu-ray but it also had many limitations which meant that no further improvement to the format were possible. Blu-ray on the other hand was an almost brand new format which has room for further growth and development. The only advantage HD-DVD had over blu-ray was that it was cheaper in the initial stages of the product life cycle, but then that is to be expected when comparing a revolutionary brand new format compared to one that simply evolves from an existing format.

There are certain things beyond justification, beyond right or wrong.:)

The rule "you reap what you sow" is not a LAW, just beyond LAW. :), and moreover i used the word "think", i never said what i think is right or wrong

regarding HD DVD, leave it----> follow the hidden meaning behind all that.:)

Last edited:

Sanjay,

At times I see no wrong, in giving a tit for tat, after all attack could be among the best form of defence. ;)

V.

Missed out on the interesting debate going on here.

Clearly, we are slogging a dead horse on this thread. I am sure we are in consensus on few of these debated topics. Let us see which ones those are and take them out for further debate. Here is how I see it:

Right v/s wrong - Easy, everyone here supports what is right. Problem is what I think is right may be wrong for another person.

720p v/s 1080p - Everybody agrees that the larger the number, better the image for the same screen size and same viewing distance? Some may say 720p projector is sufficient for them. It is easy to rubbish a technology(720p) that has been superseded. Question is if say 2160p is released in the market two months from now and blurays and rips in 2160p format are easily available, would we be early adopters or would we wait to extract the worth of your current investment in 1080p technologye? Most likely that we'll hold on to our 1080p for atleast the next one to two years and the reason (excuse?) being "My eyes are not able to spot that much of a difference for me to make my upgrade worthwhile". So why can't the same be true if someone says 720p is sufficient for them? Why argue with those who are happy? Whatever floats your boat mate..lets leave it at that!!

5gb ribs v/s 10gb rips v/s full BD rips v/s actual bluray - PQ and SQ wise, bluray is anyday better than a full Bluray rip. So question of a 5gb rip being the best is out of the question. The bigger the rip, the more data it contains. Anybody disagrees?

downloaded v/s stealing - Are they the same? Well...kindof yes!!. We all know that it is not legal simply bcos we did not buy it. Am I guilty if I download? Yes, no two ways about it!! Would I steal even a Re.1 pencil or a Diamond jewellery worth 10lakh otherwise? Nope, I wouldn't. But am I downloading to save money? Nope, it is the simplicity and the ease of use. Would I mind paying for it? Nope, but make it as easy as downloading. So, does that justify my downloading? Absolutely not!! Will I continue to download? Maybe...Maybe not but I don't want to answer this on a public forum.

Anna Hazare v/s Corrupt Politicians - The cause that Anna Hazare was championing was a great one. In our hearts we all agree. But if you or me were a politician, would we be corrupt is anybody's guess;).

Now the question is if any of us had two rips of the same movie - 720p and 1080p. Without hesitation, we will choose 1080p rip. If we also had a blu-ray, we would all choose blu-ray for sure. Now, if we had to download (let us not get into whether it is legal or not) and we were faced with constraints like bandwidth, time, HDD space, appetite for movies etc, one may draw a line and say 10GB 1080p rip or maybe even a 15gb rip is enough rather than a 30gb rip that takes twice as long. Is the person not aware that a 30gb rip is better? Ofcourse they know it. But it is a conscious call that the person is making - a practical call that this much is enough for me.

So relax everyone:). Why even debate on what we all know and agree?

Vinay,

If you are really a movie fan, should at least be using a rental library, if not buying movies outright.

You can always rip the movie to your hard-disk and have all the convinience you need. Most of my DVDs are ripped into hdds, covers thrown away and discs themselves kept in DVD books, so storage problem is solved. Same goes for Blu-rays expect that I still keep them in original cases (ok, I am showing them off:)). Everything is accessible easily.

Tit for tat/eye for an eye is philosphy applied in the absence of rule of law. I hope we have progressed from that.

regards

Reju,

Well if one is a movie freak, and see's many movies then for him the downloading route is also very good like advised by Subhash, keeping in mind that he has seen the world of disc and now is getting more into rips.

I know of a case, who used to download movies but then gave up because loss of interest in movies, lack of time to watch them, and he found it a pain to monitor the downloads and related, further he had the storage issues while he would rarely delete his stock of movies.

On the other hand he was having the wear and tear issue of his computer running 24 x 7, cost of Internet charges, and keep buying the external hard disk's etc. In view to this he found a another ground, switched to hiring disc because this works out much cheaper and lesser hassles.

V.

My story is the opposite.

I was one of the early adopters with a NMT HD media player way back in Oct 2008.
I Have enjoyed 100's of movies in 720/ 1080p since then.

But since Jan 2011, I have gone for BD Player to enjoy the highest qualities that Video & Audio can offer today. I didn't want to compromise anymore. The movies have so much more depth and clarity and the HD sound so crisp and so involving. I am thrilled and lucky to enjoy the best technology as of date. :)

Reju,

Well if one is a movie freak, and see's many movies then for him the downloading route is also very good like advised by Subhash, keeping in mind that he has seen the world of disc and now is getting more into rips.

I know of a case, who used to download movies but then gave up because loss of interest in movies, lack of time to watch them, and he found it a pain to monitor the downloads and related, further he had the storage issues while he would rarely delete his stock of movies.

On the other hand he was having the wear and tear issue of his computer running 24 x 7, cost of Internet charges, and keep buying the external hard disk's etc. In view to this he found a another ground, switched to hiring disc because this works out much cheaper and lesser hassles.

V.

Vinay, I do not download movies anymore. But my BD collection is swelling :eek:hyeah:

downloaded v/s stealing - Are they the same? Well...kindof yes!!. We all know that it is not legal simply bcos we did not buy it. Am I guilty if I download? Yes, no two ways about it!! Would I steal even a Re.1 pencil or a Diamond jewellery worth 10lakh otherwise? Nope, I wouldn't. But am I downloading to save money? Nope, it is the simplicity and the ease of use. Would I mind paying for it? Nope, but make it as easy as downloading. So, does that justify my downloading? Absolutely not!! Will I continue to download? Maybe...Maybe not but I don't want to answer this on a public forum.

Anna Hazare v/s Corrupt Politicians - The cause that Anna Hazare was championing was a great one. In our hearts we all agree. But if you or me were a politician, would we be corrupt is anybody's guess;).

While you are simplifying these things for us, allow me return the favour.

So you won't steal a pencil or a diamond, why? Beacuse its wrong? No, of course not, you won't steal beacuse you would get caught.

Download are easy to use is an excuse, the fact is that if there was a possibility of getting caught then we won't do it. This is the fact, so stop preaching that we actually want to pay for it.

Same way, politicians are corrupt beacuse they can get away with it. Thats it.

Downloads

The disc could be any better has been written many a times, for me the point is very simple that if the picture quality is very good in rips, and if i see too many movies, then disc is not my cup of tea for the assorted written reasons. For most of them, they will watch the movie just once, so if the picture quality in disc is some what better, he would not care for the disc, and there is a whole lot of evidence to this, see the number of media players being sold, one has to see the number of hits which the threads get related to media players, see the number of Internet unlimited download plans, several of them on this forum are holding large storage of external hard disk's, these are being used for download movies during most of the times. :licklips:

Before downloading is tackled, it is the other issues which one needs to take care. It is like when we dress up in the morning, no one is going to wear shoes first, one needs to wear the dress first. In other words sale of media players etc has to stop first, because they are being used mainly to watch a rip. In-fact sooner then later downloading should be made legal, with a cost attached to it. :licklips:

V.

Thanks for the writing.

Indeed i am a movie fan, that is why i made a mini theatre in my house.

I do not like renting the movies, i prefer to download. I used to earlier buy DVDs, i ended up with over 250 of them, each costing about Rs.400/-, at this point i realized that these are more like a thermocal glass, then i went to the downloading route.

For me there is never a storage problem, because over 60% of the movies i delete once i am done with them. :)

V.

Vinay,

If you are really a movie fan, should at least be using a rental library, if not buying movies outright.

You can always rip the movie to your hard-disk and have all the convinience you need. Most of my DVDs are ripped into hdds, covers thrown away and discs themselves kept in DVD books, so storage problem is solved. Same goes for Blu-rays expect that I still keep them in original cases (ok, I am showing them off:)). Everything is accessible easily.

Downloads

To download is easy, is surely not an excuse, it is a fact, there are other benefits also for downloading as being written on this thread's earlier pages.

I am sure that many of us are willing to pay if downloads become legal, sooner or later it has to, because going digital is the way forward. On the other hand who knows 50 years from now, there will be no cinema halls, you can get the movie directly in your house.

V.

Download are easy to use is an excuse, the fact is that if there was a possibility of getting caught then we won't do it. This is the fact, so stop preaching that we actually want to pay for it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back