Projector Issues

would like to know if a BD rip of 8-10gb has HD audio? (8-10gb is the size of the HD audio itself in an original)

I concur - one of my main attractions to Blu Ray was the improved HD Audio - which is significantly better that Dolby Digital or standard DTS - and IMO sound is 50% of the hometheater experience.
Cheers
Sid

Screen Size to Distance is so personal... although there are many guidelines... You guys won't believe it but i've not been able to put a Screen for my projector because i still can't conclude what size screen i want...? I currently project on the wall... :)

hi guys,

Got new epson 8700UB projector from US. i got it for 2000$ and an free lamp worth 300$ and a free dust cover. i booked it during thanksgiving day offer period. i had put my hometheater setup on hold as i didnt want to crazy money for projector by buying in india. my friend carried it for me last week. its bulky and just looks like 8350UB. think my wait is well worth.

regards,
murali

I have been getting a yellow patch on left top corner in my projector image model NEC VT460. Its a minor irritant and I have been using it for some years as it is. I had been advised to get its optical base assembly part no. 82G26111 OPT BASE (S LRL) SASSY replaced. Can anyone guide me where I can get this part or this projector repaired at "economical rates" in or around Delhi... I had been quoted 35k 2 years ago to get this part replaced by NEC authorised service centre in Delhi which was exorbitant and I didnt go for it.

Another option-
Recently when I got my led tv this month I was quoted a price for SONY Projector (same 3 lcd technology) model EX100 at Rs. 32,500/- (lolz, a price less than this part and this projector has better specs than the VT460)

So is is better to get this thing repaired or to go for this new projector all together? I have enjoyed hundreds of movies and sports broadcasts with great joy on the VT460 and its still going strong except for that irritating yellow patch on left top corner (about 5% of total image size)

Any and all advice would be most welcome; Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Another option-
Recently when I got my led tv this month I was quoted a price for SONY Projector (same 3 lcd technology) model EX100 at Rs. 32,500/- (lolz, a price less than this part and this projector has better specs than the VT460)

So is is better to get this thing repaired or to go for this new projector all together? I have enjoyed hundreds of movies and sports broadcasts with great joy on the VT460 and its still going strong except for that irritating yellow patch on left top corner (about 5% of total image size)

Any and all advice would be most welcome; Thanks in advance...

That is a no brainer. Just go with the new projector. Sell off the older one for whatever you get.

G

Abroad - Projector

Murali,

Indeed getting the projector from abroad is much worth then buying from local stores here, so what will be the complete set up be like screen etc.

V.

Old Projector Or New Projector

Dkaile,

The authorized service center's will most of the times fleece us when it comes to any sort of replacement and related though they often have their good reasons to do so but we live in a competitive world, it is much better to source from abroad. If we try to source from other then the service center's then there is a lurk of risk in terms of reliability etc.

If you are considering a new projector then it is better to consider brands other then Sony and go for full HD, which is being suggested by several members. If you are not having a media or blue ray player then it is better to go for that too, if there are budget issues then it is much better to hold on and till then continue with your respective old projector.

V.

^
Thanks Vinay for a understandable answer; Could you guide me to a few hd projector models and minimum starting costs and how I should proceed to source it from abroad?

^
Thanks Vinay for a understandable answer; Could you guide me to a few hd projector models and minimum starting costs and how I should proceed to source it from abroad?

The best projectors available today are the Panasonic LCD's. Get the AE 4000 if in your budget else you can go for the AX200. The earlier is 1080p the latter 720p. 1080p makes sense as we have TV broadcasts now in 1080i already.

Dkaile,

The authorized service center's will most of the times fleece us when it comes to any sort of replacement and related though they often have their good reasons to do so but we live in a competitive world, it is much better to source from abroad. If we try to source from other then the service center's then there is a lurk of risk in terms of reliability etc.

V.

I bought a replacement lamp for my Panny from electrified.com. Lot cheaper than official even in the US. Here it is better to buy a new projector than a lamp!

Hi Vinay,
Can you please advise the power consumption for 8350?
mine is on its way and was wondering if I would require voltage converter - since most of my items from US are using the same.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Vinay,
Can you please advise the power consumption for 8350?
mine is on its way and was wondering if I would require voltage converter - since most of my items from US are using the same.

Thank you for your help.

You do not need a converter - the 8350 handles 110-240v. OTOH you may need a UPS if you dont have one, to prevent bulb failures from improper shut down without bulb cool down during power outages.
cheers
Sid

Thank you for your prompt response sidvee...

Ohhh yess where i live, a UPS is a must...

Would you know a power converter+A UPS ? someone told me APC has a model which is a voltage converter plus a UPS....

would you know which model/make in particular i should be looking at ?

thank you again.

Thank you for your prompt response sidvee...

Ohhh yess where i live, a UPS is a must...

Would you know a power converter+A UPS ? someone told me APC has a model which is a voltage converter plus a UPS....

would you know which model/make in particular i should be looking at ?

thank you again.

I am not sure of converter +UPS, but I have a APC 600va that has a 360 watt capacity and it seems adequate for the Epson 8350. I have had outages 1 or 2 times and the UPS helped me shut down the 8350 without any problem. Addittionally they claim that all the outlets also have surge protection - not too sure how good these are but they are there.
Cheers
Sid

Thanks Sid.

Where I live we have power failures very often, infact my house is running on inverter/gen-set most of the time...

I was looking for a UPS with a longer backup... atleast 1hr !
How would you recommend the following i found on ebay -

eBay India: APC Back UPS RS 1000VA 230V -BR1000-IN (1 KVA ) (item 320659578621 end time 01-Mar-2011 16:27:35 IST)

or

eBay India: APC BACK-UPS RS/XS 1500VA 24V Battery Pack (item 250778819951 end time 01-Mar-2011 11:15:30 IST)

Why dont you upgrade to a pure signwave inverter with higher capacity to accomidate all your AV gear?

Thanks Sid.

Where I live we have power failures very often, infact my house is running on inverter/gen-set most of the time...

eBay India: APC Back UPS RS 1000VA 230V -BR1000-IN (1 KVA ) (item 320659578621 end time 01-Mar-2011 16:27:35 IST)

or

eBay India: APC BACK-UPS RS/XS 1500VA 24V Battery Pack (item 250778819951 end time 01-Mar-2011 11:15:30 IST)

I am generally happy with APC so maybe these units will work for you. Secondly they seem to have decent service as well.
Cheers
Sid

Thanks Sid.

or

Hi, if you have a reliance digital near where you live, the 1kva ups is much cheaper there - about 6.6k. i use one of these for my proj as well.

I guess technically a sinewave intertor should be better, provided it has fast switchover times. typically, the homesinewave invertors aren't comparable to data grade ups in this matter. a projector on an invertor with slow changeover times may not result in any "protection", so you'd be better off if you check this aspect before making any purchase decision.

hi vinay

with your longish write up it seems you are in for a compromise after having spent a fortune for your HT set up

The size of a movie in a BD (50GB disc) varies from 30-40gb with out any extras, so to ask if there is an improvement by 10 -15% in a downloaded rip size of 8-10GB is :mad:
would like to know if a BD rip of 8-10gb has HD audio? (8-10gb is the size of the HD audio itself in an original)

A rip size of 8-10gb is beyond 50% compression, after having spent so much of money and time on your HT why ?????? are you hell bent on compromising on Quality . These rips may be fine upto 40"-50" displays

Vinay ,you also need to upgrade to HD audio, with your kind of set up you need to get the best of Audio n Video

The route you could take

1) I do understand its impossible to buy BD discs regularly
2) invest on a BD drive 50-100$ (u already have the media player and HDD)
3) Join a rental Library ( you dont have to play the BD on your BDP you only have to play on your BD drive for abt 45 mins) i suppose there wudnt be any cross infections:lol:
4) Most rentals have door delivery and pick up
5) Get ready to Rip -store - transfer to HDD -watch ,rest u decide what u want to do with it. (v shall guide you on this above process)

this is the most simple way for you to get the best out of your investment you would be owning an original BD rip for the price of your rental :lol:
When there is scope for improvment be it 10-15% , IMO way beyond why not give it a shot.
In between ,occasionally if you are in love with a movie you could consider buying the BD

hi vinay

kind of getting this thread back into action

am sure most of you guys wouldnt agree here

i did advice vinay not to compromise on the quality and -------etc etc

i have now recently taken vinays route of downloading and for the quality thats on offer am in serious doubt ,there is a diffrence, yes ,but then its hard to tell or pin point unless its a side by side comparision
what i noticed with PQ of a file size of 5-7gb is on par (@ least 70:/: ) with an original BD source
HD audio is not there but there is DTS or DD and then think of it you have a new release within days or before its theatrical release and that too of great quality and all free of rentals and buying costs

so i guess if you follow the professional trackers then this is the new economical route for me

i have now recently taken vinays route of downloading and for the quality thats on offer am in serious doubt ,there is a diffrence, yes ,but then its hard to tell or pin point unless its a side by side comparision
what i noticed with PQ of a file size of 5-7gb is on par (@ least 70:/: ) with an original BD source
HD audio is not there but there is DTS or DD and then think of it you have a new release within days or before its theatrical release and that too of great quality and all free of rentals and buying costs

so i guess if you follow the professional trackers then this is the new economical route for me

Size of display and viewing distance should be a couple of factors which will determine whether you notice any substantial difference. What's your display size and distance?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back