Projector replacement ideas

neel

I have a Sanyo PLV Z1 which was an instant hit in 2002/3 (capable of handling 1080i input on its 964x544 res). Happily running it with the second bulb. I am thinking of moving to a decent 1080p (1920x1080 res) projector with a budget of around 80K. Any suggestions.

Are there places to trade old projectors?

Thanks, Neel.

I have a Sanyo PLV Z1 which was an instant hit in 2002/3 (capable of handling 1080i input on its 964x544 res). Happily running it with the second bulb. I am thinking of moving to a decent 1080p (1920x1080 res) projector with a budget of around 80K. Any suggestions.

Are there places to trade old projectors?

Thanks, Neel.

That's a good question - What to do with old projectors? I think the easiest option would be to sell them off through ebay/forums. Someone might pick it up for office/educational use.

Are there Epson 8350 dealers in Bangalore?
You will find that local pricing is too expensive. If you import, it will cost you no more than 85k.

One may ask about warranty, etc. And I will say this: buy an online UPS/500VA (the one that we use for PCs) plus a surge protector and nothing will go wrong.

Also check out Mitsuibishi HC 4000 available for 109K with Bill and 2 years warranty and its a Full HD DLP Projector which is even capable of doing Anamorphic Image projection without any external lens attachment.

Could you pls point to a source / demo in Bangalore?

I don't know who does it in Bangalore but we at Lakozy Electronics in Mumbai and Delhi have it on demo. You could get in touch with Akash of Final Touch as he might be able to help you out as he is our dealer.

LED lamp life is a great incentive if the reported figures are indicative - whopping 30000 hours etc. I am not sure if the picture quality can be sustained for such a long time!!!

Projector

This model 8350 was launched not long ago, therefore to get them from dealers here is not possible, in general what we get here, could be about one or two years old models, while that is a another story that the cost will be too high even when it becomes available on our soil.

In view to this the best way out is to import it via online store etc as suggested by fellow members.

V.

Are there Epson 8350 dealers in Bangalore?

Has anybody imported (not through somebody carrying for them) using internet? Could you share exact process. The projectors are bulky, so the cost of shipping and customs needs to be optimised. Could anybody share a reliable route? Thanks.

30,000 Hours

I am using such a projector of 30,000 hours lamp life, for data activity.

I think one may never come to know if the picture quality can be maintained for 30,000 hours because much before that the projector may have other fatal sickness, etc.

While it is being said that the picture quality remains fine till about 75% usage mark, then the quality drops very slowly, so it shall mean that once the mark is breached, it could be time to hunt for a new lamp or buy a newer model of projector, etc.

V.

LED lamp life is a great incentive if the reported figures are indicative - whopping 30000 hours etc. I am not sure if the picture quality can be sustained for such a long time!!!

Last edited:
Projector

Well there is a whole lot of information on projector imports, please refer the following thread.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/14071-projector-issues.html

In-fact there are other threads too on such related matters, please search the forum, if the need be, you can use my torch ;).

V.

Has anybody imported (not through somebody carrying for them) using internet? Could you share exact process. The projectors are bulky, so the cost of shipping and customs needs to be optimised. Could anybody share a reliable route? Thanks.

Re: Projector

Well there is a whole lot of information on projector imports, please refer the following thread.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/14071-projector-issues.html

In-fact there are other threads too on such related matters, please search the forum, if the need be, you can use my torch ;).

V.

Thanks V. I hope one day Projectors are manufactured by the leading guys in India in a way akin to other electronic consumables. We will then have prices comparable to International markets, not double or triple.

@Neel, though the lamp life is really impressive of LED projectors, I don't know of any that have a high enough lumen output to be used in typical Indian conditions, i.e. some ambient light. Where an output of 1000+ lumens is desired.

Another 1-2 years and they should be here. Can't wait!

@Neel, though the lamp life is really impressive of LED projectors, I don't know of any that have a high enough lumen output to be used in typical Indian conditions, i.e. some ambient light. Where an output of 1000+ lumens is desired.

Another 1-2 years and they should be here. Can't wait!
You hope in vain. Most home theater projectors are already capable of 1000+ ansi lumens. But when you put on high brightness mode, the picture appears washed out.

Home theatre projectors are different than boadroom projectors. Boardroom projectors are available with 3000+ ansi lumens. HT projectors cannot have high brightness because then black will appear lighter shades of gray. One must understand "what is black"? Black is absense of light. But in a projector there is always light. So there will never be picth black. So unless a revolutionary technology replaces the light bulb in a projector, we shall always have low ansi lumen projectors.

There is a third type of projector called the CRT projector. It has three projections simultaneously in red/blue/green. They are oldest in terms of technology. A CRT projector can produce the blackest blacks of all projector types as well as the full range of colour, giving most film-like images. But these are very rarely available to the consumer today and are prohibitively expensive.

Also check out Mitsuibishi HC 4000 available for 109K with Bill and 2 years warranty and its a Full HD DLP Projector which is even capable of doing Anamorphic Image projection without any external lens attachment.

The HC4000 has a annoying habit of saying 'no signal' when you switch inputs or change the media. It is really disconcerting in the sense that it will make you worry there is something wrong with the cable or something like that.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back