Projector screen Dilemma :(

Viply1

Hi Guys,

Midway making my HT room

The projector screen is now my dilemma. I can achieve a diagonal of 120" i suppose

So il summarize incase you dont the want to read below

Go in for
1. Matt white wall
2. Manual pull down instalock screen
3. Motorized screen
4. Fixed frame screen
5. Buy screen fabric and DIY
6. Also are pull down screen fabrics and fixed frame fabrics the same?

If you can give some reliable contacts for chennai also it will be very much appreciated

Background -

Projector - Sony VPL HW 40ES
Audio and Amp - Harman Kardon HKTS 35

1. Someone said "why go in for a screen, just paint the wall matt white and be done with it" Initially I thought that this was a great idea as it would involve hardly any cost whatsoever. However I am thinking there must be some logic as to why people go in for screens

2&3. Next option is to go for a instalock pull down screen or a motorized. Though pull down will cost around 7.5k to 8k and motorized will cost 20k max, Im worried the screen will definitely have wrinkles as I've seen in many peoples homes

4. Last option is Fixed frame screen. My room is a dedicated HT room so I dont mind this option. Only contention is that its turning out expensive and i dont know a reliable person. About 20-25k starting ranges (was actually surprised

5&6. Also another question - is the screen which is used for fixed frame and pull down the same? Cos I can buy fabric
Im getting a Technolite screen high gain 1.2 on ebay for 6k, so thinking why get a carpenter and get it done. Scared of this idea cos if i screw up then my dad will kill me for wasting money.

Based in Chennai so if you guys can help me out with Chennai contacts i will be very much obliged

Think, a fixed screen will be sufficient for you, if its a dedicated home theater room.

And when selecting the screen gain, check the projectors brightness too..

Go for Elite Screen. Now elite screen is available in Chennai, check out the following distributors -
1) ELITE SCREENS = + 91 75982 55161
2)CINEMA FOCUS = + 91 44 2811 7722
3)AV Xtasy = + 91 9941373242
4)Office 2000 = +91 4422500774

I am using Elite 100" 16:9 manual pull-down screen costs Rs 10.5K from Kolkata (M100XWH2) since last one month. It's a fantastic screen I am really enjoying it.

Hi Guys,

1. Someone said "why go in for a screen, just paint the wall matt white and be done with it" Initially I thought that this was a great idea as it would involve hardly any cost whatsoever. However I am thinking there must be some logic as to why people go in for screens

yeah, do tell if u find any logic, me also renovating and its very crucial for me to know.

though the freind who suggested this idea and me too early had in mind, he saw somewhere/someone using it. so, cant extract much clue and his experience..
but any help here wud be very helpful :)

Whichever type of screen that you install, just take care that there is no interference in projector signal path due to ceiling fan (if any) and the distance between floor and the bottom of the screen is about 2 feet. Also if ceiling fan is a problem, see to it that the top of the screen has about 2 ft of black colour band. Overall, give due consideration to your viewing comfort otherwise viewing movie for a 3 hour stretch will be a painful exercise. If possible, fix the screen temporarily and take a trial for few days and decide on optimum arrangement.

yeah, do tell if u find any logic, me also renovating and its very crucial for me to know.

though the freind who suggested this idea and me too early had in mind, he saw somewhere/someone using it. so, cant extract much clue and his experience..
but any help here wud be very helpful :)
Anyone can comment on this?

Anyone can comment on this?

If you have a large screen say 8ft+ wide , then no matter what you do minor folds are going to appear over time. (folds as in a tiny wave) which can be irritating and difficult to get rid of.

On the other hand if its a flat wall no such botheration at all.

One reason for a drop down screen is if you don't have a dedicated HT room.
In my case I have my flat screen TV fixed to the wall , speaker positions are in line with this. The Proj Screen drops down exactly in front of the TV when you want to watch movies.

Also talking about painting a fixed wall, you need to go for this special paint exclusively for Projection purpose.

You can check the following or similar brands.
Goo Systems Global-Paint a High Definition Home Theater Screen

In my case I have my flat screen TV fixed to the wall , speaker positions are in line with this. The Proj Screen drops down exactly in front of the TV when you want to watch movies.

Hi Fillmore,
Can you share some pics of your setup as I would also be looking for something similar (i.e. keeping screen in front of TV, when watching sports/ movies, etc).

Thanks in advance.

I have posted in other threads too.. about my projector screen dilemma.

I have flexigray screen, and how should i use it?

I wish to go with map type ( roll over once done watching). But this material is soft and may be good for fixed screen.

Can you please give me suggestions on how to do DIY map type or fixed screen?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back