Projector screen setup

Rshri,

It is true that i have the highest possible respect and care for a dedicated room towards movies and related. The power of a dedicated room now many of the forum members are too realizing, when i had posted the first pictures of my Mini Theatre in 2008 there was not a single forum member who had a dedicated theatre at home. It gives me considerable joy that now at least a dozen forum member's are having a dedicated theater at their homes.

The projector which i have may be a budget type for some of them but then what to do i have to go with my priorities. It is needless to say that at the right time i will go for higher end projector and related.

About my suffering with 8350, i am surely not suffering as you know very well that sometimes the beam power goes down for about a minute only and this happens most of the times only once during a movie watching session.

I appreciate your respective concern. Thanks.

V

@Vinay
You also have highest possible respect & care for dedicated projector setups/rooms. Then why on earth did you settle for a budget projector like Epson 8350 in the first place? Why didn't you buy a more expensive projectors like JVC or Sony?
Even stranger thing - Why are you still needlessly suffering through 8350? Just dump it and buy JVC RS-55 for yourself! What's stopping you?

Projector - Carpet

Indeed let us hope that you will not face any issues with 8350. There is one thing which i am realizing now is that i had bought the projector more then a year ago and at that time it was newly launched so maybe there were some teething problems as reported in various forums. In other words your buying has happened now so hopefully Epson has corrected those teething issues.

If you happen to visit Mumbai, then please do consider to visit my place and see the type of carpet which i have and you can double up by visiting the store from where i have bought the carpet, they are very competitive with prices and they have a good range too. If all goes well then you can easily carry the carpet in your car.

V.

Thanks V. I'm hoping there are no issues with the 8350. Will post as soon as I set it up. Is there any link where you ordered the carpet from?

I'm currently based out of Pune. Is there anyone in Pune who can recommend a better screen. AV excellence recommended me VueMax.

Same goes for the carpet, anyone from Pune who has done this?

Thanks.

Rshri First please share with me the posts where i have acted as a wealthy person.
Vinayji,
As always, you are misunderstanding English and getting needlessly offended :)
Act in my sentence doesn't mean pretend (like acting in films/plays) as you are inferring.
By the word act I meant that your actions are of a wealthy person. As in -
1) Having a newsworthy home theater back in 2008
2) Having a screen costing more than 1 lakh.
All of these are not actions of a middle class person. Only a rich/wealthy person would act like that. I hope you understand now.
Rshri The projector which i have may be a budget type for some of them but then what to do i have to go with my priorities. It is needless to say that at the right time i will go for higher end projector and related
That's what I asked and you still haven't answered - Why made you settle for 8350 when there were clearly more expensive (and affordable for you) projectors available?
Anyway, its none of my business. I was just being curious, that's all :)

Vinayji,
Act in my sentence doesn't mean pretend (like acting in films/plays) as you are inferring.
All of these are not actions of a middle class person. Only a rich/wealthy person would act like that. I hope you understand now.
That's what I asked and you still haven't answered - Why made you settle for 8350 when there were clearly more expensive (and affordable for you) projectors available?

Why wealth should be associated with big spending? You buy what you think best works for you. Having more money gives you more options, but does not mean you throw it around.

Rshri,

To be honest i am very less educated, i have studied only till 9th standard so maybe i have problems in understanding English. I had clearly assumed that "act" is something like "pretending".

I had been wanting to make a theatre at home since the 1990's but the opportunity came in only during 2008 when the stock market shot up in a big way and i was holding large quantity of stock.

I am not as wealthy as one may think.

V

Vinayji,

A cozy place [ small hall ] can also be used almost like a dedicated room .
However you have to fix what to achieve... a hall only i use for viewing.

For me i Dont have a Dolby Surround , even though AVR etc are there for me stereo from towers is enough , this saves me from soundproofing , placement issues .. fake surround from software sometimes i use .

I will post trick to make hall look like cinema with velvet walls :) soon ...

for distance part 5-8 meters is fine for 100inch , mount the screen lil high for towers if u have and no extra space .

@Vinay,
I apologize if my posts sounded insensitive. My intention was certainly not to belittle anyone.
Ups and downs are part of life. I myself went through very difficult times after 2009 recession and my life & career has yet not recovered. It may sound strange but I am sure that situations I faced would have made a weaker person commit suicide. Yet I tolerated everything and I still continue to enjoy life as it comes :)

Thanks Kaushik, Vinay for your suggestions...

Kaushik, can you please share, if you dont mind, now itself how you plan to make hall look like theatre? I'm right now setting up my house interms of carpentry/electricians so would help if I could incorporate those ideas in some way at my place too.

I bought some show lights - bidirectional led lights which I plan to fix to the side walls. Not doing any false ceiling, bcos its going way over my budget :)..

Vinay - thanks for the carpet suggestion, I wish I could fly to Mumbai and come and see your theatre setup..unfortunately I'm running against time and I might not have the opportunity to make it to Mumbai..

I thought of setting up some wooden panels too on the side walls, but I'm trying to see with the curtain over window(front portion) and with the carpet, will check if that helps to absorb/sound proof the sound. If that doesnt help much then I plan to setup wooden panels later on.

My first concern is of getting the step down and UPS for my devices - most of them are from US.

Sidvee confirmed that he is using 8350 without transformer so I'm going ahead with that, and will just get the UPS. I need to get step down transformers for my A/V receiver and subwoofer. My bd player is dual voltage.

I'm getting a cabinet designed to accomodate the units + transformer , and separately get concealed wiring for all the wiring done.

I will probably need to check on a small cabinet near the projector to house the UPS.

Last and most imp aspect is the screen,..I've been given a reference from AV excellence which I posted earlier for Vuemax screen. I've not heard of anyone on this forum commenting on this brand, so even I'm not sure..earlier I didnt want to spend more than 20K on screen, but I'm getting to know that motorized screens basic starts from around 28-30K. :-(..

I didnt want to spend more than 20K on screen, but I'm getting to know that motorized screens basic starts from around 28-30K. :-(..
Screen is not something that you will be replacing anytime soon (if ever). So I suggest you spend the extra money for motorized if that's what your heart is set on. But even some manual pulldowns are semi-automatic in the sense that they have self-lock and slow self-return. You can settle for that if you want to stay on budget.

I too had considered making my living room as a theater but i realized various problems and dropped the idea.

• There is too much of sunlight and very large sliding windows. I hate curtains in a projector set up.
  • If one has to go in kitchen then has to cross the living room. There will be too much of food odour from kitchen.
  • There are maintenance issues of gadgets in living room.
  • The shape of the living room is very odd (L shape).
  • If someone is at the main door, he has access to the movie and has to be paused.
  • The neighbor's flat owner talks sometime too loudly when someone is at their door, so their conversation sweeps into the living room.
  • In living room there are over 51% of the contents which have got nothing to do with the private theatre.
  • It is near to impossible in having a carpet in common area such as living room.
  • 2 A/C's would be required in a living room and the worst is i could not do away with the 3 fan's.
  • It is impossible to set a 5.1 in living room and i did not want to abuse a movie by using 2.1
  • It is also impossible to get the acoustics done in a living room.
  • Many more reasons

The most important is that a living room can never beat a higher end dedicated room for movies or projector related activities.

On the other hand i truly understand and appreciate the reasons to why many of them have a theater set up in their living room due to lack of space etc.

V

A cozy place [ small hall ] can also be used almost like a dedicated room .
However you have to fix what to achieve... a hall only i use for viewing.

For me i Dont have a Dolby Surround , even though AVR etc are there for me stereo from towers is enough , this saves me from soundproofing , placement issues .. fake surround from software sometimes i use .

I will post trick to make hall look like cinema with velvet walls :) soon ...

for distance part 5-8 meters is fine for 100inch , mount the screen lil high for towers if u have and no extra space .

It is very true that one has to be very strong in facing the upheaval's of life otherwise one could be heading for much bigger problems then anticipated. While that is a another story that luck plays a major part in our life.

V

@Vinay,
I apologize if my posts sounded insensitive. My intention was certainly not to belittle anyone.
Ups and downs are part of life. I myself went through very difficult times after 2009 recession and my life & career has yet not recovered. It may sound strange but I am sure that situations I faced would have made a weaker person commit suicide. Yet I tolerated everything and I still continue to enjoy life as it comes :)

I feel it is very important that you visit some forum members who have a private theatre at home in Pune because that will give you many more ideas. While Kaushik always has many ideas especially the intelligent cost saving one's.

Since you have limited time you can always come on a week-end, you can start very early in the morning, by 8 you can be at my place. This way by lunch time you can be at your home.

I too was considering wooden panels on the side wall but gave it up because acoustics will suffer and then there was a good scope that it may not look nice while the cost would go up dramatically.

I will suggest that you please consider to complete as much as possible work now itself even if it means going 30% beyond budget because the problem is that to later on do things does not go well for reasons we are aware of.

V

Thanks Kaushik, Vinay for your suggestions...

Kaushik, can you please share, if you dont mind, now itself how you plan to make hall look like theatre? I'm right now setting up my house interms of carpentry/electricians so would help if I could incorporate those ideas in some way at my place too.

Vinay - thanks for the carpet suggestion, I wish I could fly to Mumbai and come and see your theatre setup..unfortunately I'm running against time and I might not have the opportunity to make it to Mumbai..

I thought of setting up some wooden panels too on the side walls, but I'm trying to see with the curtain over window(front portion) and with the carpet, will check if that helps to absorb/sound proof the sound. If that doesnt help much then I plan to setup wooden panels later on.

Hi,

would anyone happen to know any contacts in Pune who have setup home theatre etc with acoustics treatment?

I saw a demo of Liberty Grandview screen couple of days back. Pretty decent, he even showed a demo using paper on the screen and how transparent the paper can look..but the media he was using was perhaps not an original bd media, and hence I didn't find the saturation levels exciting..and even though he was using a Mitsubishi HC 4000 projector..so couldnt make up my mind actually..He was selling the Liberty screen for around 20 K motorized version for a 100" diag screen. Surprisingly his installation cost is around 2K..he was using some kind of glass wool based material for carpet flooring..and the walls were acoustically treated...

I'm thinking, its probably the acoustic treatment that makes the effects sound so good in these home theatre show rooms, or atleast its doing 50% of the job..

I've been listening to quite a number of demos at number of showrooms and I'm kind of frustrated that I dont get to hear the same sound at my home :)...so I'm know thinking of investing in some acoustic treatment and hoping it will make a difference..will if it fits the budget :D

so Vinay, you're right in that way, to make one time investment in these matters...if you know 100% for sure it does make a difference..:)

Thanks

Good that you have come to this thinking. Let me put it this way, the amount of value/return that you are going to get by doing acoustic treatments is many times over compared to what you would get out of the spending in electronics/equipment. The money spent on acoustics is well spent.

And, if you do it right, you will find that its not that expensive at all.

Hey Guys
Anyone has info on a Benq LED projector, saw it on gadget guru, no lamp burnout and price I think approx Rs45,000/-

Hey Manoj,

I had a quick glance at your theatre room post. Did you do any treatment for your windows? or used a thick curtain(the red one) to cover it up and then the screen flows over it?

I have the same situation in my room.

Thanks.

My window is on the left wall of the room, about 4 ft from front wall. There is no window behind the screen. I didn't do any treatment for it. Just covered it with a thick, blackout, red curtain to not let any light come in from it. That's all.

The thick curtain still passes little light though. If you put your eye to it, you will see some bright light behind. If your screen is flowing infront of the window, then you may need to double up the curtains. Also, on the edge of the curtains, you will see light reflected. Just build up something like velvet valance to absorb that light as well.

Another option will be to use a screen backing with velvet if you can.

Neo,

Have you decided on a screen? What dimensions?

I used a Blackout cloth screen and it is perfect!

Also you are Welcome to visit my Home Theater any day you want.

Thanks,
Alok (From Noida)

I used a Blackout cloth screen and it is perfect!
Also you are Welcome to visit my Home Theater any day you want.
Congrats on your setup, Aloklala :) Please post pics!
I am assuming that you bought blackout cloth from US on some recent trip? How did you frame it?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back