Projector screen setup

neo9999

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to setup a home theatre setup in one of my rooms whose dimensions are 12'(L) X 10'(W) X 10'(H). I've attached a diagram of the room and the positions where I plan to place the components.

The wall where the screen is planned to be placed has a window which i plan to cover with a curtain so that the screen flows over the curtain. Below the curtain/screen I plan to have enough height placement for a center speaker which will be placed on top of a cabinet containing my devices such as A/V receiver, bd layer, cabel box.

I wanted to know the best screen size I should go in for, to have best possible view as well not hurting the eyes. The projector is an Epson 8350 Powerlite. I plan to place the projector at the opposite end of the wall, wall mounted somewhere around 8 ft from the ground. My assumption is the projector center needs to be positioned at a level which is 1 to 1.5 ft below the start of the projector screen casing.

Should I go in for 106" screen or 92" screen for this viewing distance? I will be using recliner couch set in this room. I got a qoute of around 30K for a VueMax 106" screen.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Attachments

• hometheatre%20room.jpg
    hometheatre%20room.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 328
Epson 8350 is supposed to have lens shift hence you should have more placement flexibility than what you have described.
Suitable size of screen is more of a personal preference. I watch 120" screen from a distance of about 12-13 feet. Seems perfectly fine & comfortable to me and I would never go for smaller screen.

Thnks rshri...so you're saying I can place the projector at any point ..meaning directing towards center of the screen, but from a vertical standpoint perspective I can place it anywhere.

Any idea how good are these Vuemax screens? and whether grandview/liberty is better?

Secondly, I've been told that for projectors , you will need to connect a UPS to it to ensure correct supply is pumped into the projector.

Due to the sensitivity of the bulb filament, if there is any fluctuation in power supply then the bulb might go bust. The other reason is whenever the projector is switched off the projector does not shut off immediately and takes time.

Not sure if this is case for projectors bought from US or not.

Available lens shift should be both vertical and horizontal. Amount of shift depends on the PJ as well as distance from screen. I believe you wont have any problem with placement.
Never heard of Vumax. Liberty/Grandview has both cheap and expensive screens and thus quality differs from screen to screen.
A power backup is required to prevent any mishappening irrespective of where the PJ is from. You could either use a computer UPS or just use a power point backed by an inverter (if inverter is good quality & reliable).

Thanks rshri. I'm thinking of getting the projector first and then checking out the exact placement of the screen + casing, and then proceed to purchase the screen.

considering the rule that for full HD the optimum viewing distance is 1.5 times the diagonal screen size, your screen need not be more than 8 ft., that is 96 inch. Hence 92 inch would be the ideal size. If the source is not full HD, then more viewing distance is the better.

I would recommend 120" screen. Better to go with bigger screen if possible.

Many congratulations for getting into the my thy projector world.

In many a cases there will be lot of breeze from outside by which the curtains can not hold enough of it and in turn could hamper the stability of screen while the movie is in motion. It would ideally be better to have a fixed window with no opening.

If one is going for a big screen with smaller room height then there will be good scope of tower & center speaker getting distracted with the screen so please exercise more precaution.

The cable box may not be required because sooner then later i have seen many of them not using the projector to watch television.

About the screen size there all sort of views in watching larger image from a smaller room length and so forth. It is better that you buy the projector first and beam several full movies on the wall with different dimensions. By this you will have a clearer idea to which screen size appeals to you.

I will strongly suggest to keep away from 8350 because there are enough complains on foreign forums about the picture quality dropping by 75% for a minute or two and then luckily coming back to the normal good picture quality. I too am facing this problem while it seems other forum members are not having this issue.

The screen name which you have mentioned is not heard off so it could be better to go for some known brand.

V.

Thanks V.

The window has a sliding glass so it would be closed the whole time. Hence, I'm presuming it should not give any problem.

Reg. the screen size, you're correct I need to watch out for my towers.

I'm planning to keep a cable point inorder to view certain events like some cricket matches etc.

I'm surprised to hear about the epson 8350 projector, reg. the quality dropped down..I've already purchased the item and its coming to my place very soon via shipment. I'm hoping there is no issue.

Can you recommend any decent brands for the screen? My budget is around 30K.

I saw a sample of PVC carpet today. Would it be a good idea to setup this kind of carpet on the floor, from a sound absorption perspective.

With a 10x12 square room, I think you should plan for acoustics first. You have lots of speakers firing into that sealed , concrete walled room and it will be very boomy even at small volumes. Do spare some time on it before you start.
Also, Do I see 7.1 setup there? or is it 5.1?

I have been writing about the 8350 problem from last several months on this forum spread over various threads. However the good part is that so far none of the members have reported a problem unless they are not ready to write if there is a issue.

I do not remember which brand screen some of the forum members are using in your city have but it seems they are happy with the functions and will surely fit in your budget. If you will get in touch with them via private message then you could get very good help and not to forget the opportunity to see their dedicated room set up with special mention you can see their screens too in motion.

In my case i have 2 screens one of Dalite & other of DNP brand, these are high end screens and very expensive.

I am using thick carpet and do not have any idea about PVC carpet. The point is be careful with whatever you do, after all we know how difficult it is later to rectify. The good thing is that you are asking several questions before a buy which will save you from the small and bigger gallows of any wrong move.

V

I'm surprised to hear about the epson 8350 projector, reg. the quality dropped down..I've already purchased the item and its coming to my place very soon via shipment. I'm hoping there is no issue.

Can you recommend any decent brands for the screen? My budget is around 30K.

I saw a sample of PVC carpet today. Would it be a good idea to setup this kind of carpet on the floor, from a sound absorption perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks V. I'm hoping there are no issues with the 8350. Will post as soon as I set it up. Is there any link where you ordered the carpet from?

I'm currently based out of Pune. Is there anyone in Pune who can recommend a better screen. AV excellence recommended me VueMax.

Same goes for the carpet, anyone from Pune who has done this?

Thanks.

I have been writing about the 8350 problem from last several months on this forum spread over various threads. However the good part is that so far none of the members have reported a problem unless they are not ready to write if there is a issue.

V

My 8350 is about 250 hours old. So far (touch wood) no issues. It is performing very well.
Cheers,
Sid

I have been writing about the 8350 problem from last several months on this forum spread over various threads.
@Vinay
I don't understand. You act like a wealthy person. You also have highest possible respect & care for dedicated projector setups/rooms. Then why on earth did you settle for a budget projector like Epson 8350 in the first place? Why didn't you buy a more expensive projectors like JVC or Sony?
Even stranger thing - Why are you still needlessly suffering through 8350? Just dump it and buy JVC RS-55 for yourself! What's stopping you?

Hi Sidvee,

Can you please share your contact info ? would like to know more about your experience using the 8350.
I'm guessing you got this unit from the US, if yes, did you need to purchase a step down transformer as well as UPS? I've been told this projector can support dual voltage power supply.
Thanks.

Hi Sidvee,

Can you please share your contact info ? would like to know more about your experience using the 8350.
I'm guessing you got this unit from the US, if yes, did you need to purchase a step down transformer as well as UPS? I've been told this projector can support dual voltage power supply.
Thanks.

Yes I bought mine in the US. No need for step down, the unit is worldwide voltage. Not sure of power supply in Pune, but hyderabad sucks. So I use a APC UPS (i think it is a 600 watt unit), to power down whenever there is a power outage. Other than that just make sure you clean the filter with a small vacuum cleaner every 100 hours and you should be all set. Lastly Epson bulbs are available in India (probably more expensive than us), but at-least bulb defects will not render this unit useless.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Sidvee,

I can breathe a sigh of relief, I wasnt sure I needed a voltage transformer or not hearing from some electricians.

Power cuts do happen in Pune too and hence I wanted to check what precautionary measures I should take..will go with a UPS, though I was thinking more of those champion brands used for desktop machines.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back