Surprising discovery about projector screens

prateekatasniya

I used to think :

1) just a decent white fabric/material would be sufficient to get quality visuals. So any brand or even DIY can save a lot of money on screens.

2) The projector quality matters a lot and the screen hardly matters. So use the max budget to get a quality projector.

Finally I found this.

I'm sure few might have experienced this, but many are still unaware of the kind of impact a projector screen can have.

hope this helps :)

A Question.
The tests in the video is placing the Test screen (micro perforated acoustically transparent) ON the existing screen , without any gap between them, so how far or to what extent is the light bleeding from the test sheet getting reflected back from the existing back screen affecting the brightness/contrast ?

for example in this video DIY Dual-Layer LCD monitor - to change brightness/contrasts , something on similar lines , does it affect when we have 2 screens placed one above the other.

I would like to know if the result would be different , when these 2 screens are placed side by side without anything behind - or say, a Black wall with 3-6" gap.

A Question.
The tests in the video is placing the Test screen (micro perforated acoustically transparent) ON the existing screen , without any gap between them, so how far or to what extent is the light bleeding from the test sheet getting reflected back from the existing back screen affecting the brightness/contrast ?

for example in this video DIY Dual-Layer LCD monitor - to change brightness/contrasts , something on similar lines , does it affect when we have 2 screens placed one above the other.

I would like to know if the result would be different , when these 2 screens are placed side by side without anything behind - or say, a Black wall with 3-6" gap.
Oh.. i must have mentioned this point in the video.

The difference in the video is almost half of the difference you can perceive in reality. ( By this I mean in reality the test samples seem to be much more brighter and better than the installed screen) - so even if the sample material seem to have advantage of being placed directly in front of the installed screen, the phone camera have more than nullified that advantage.

The existing screen has black backing material behind it.

The comparison method is a bit crude but yeah I personally felt that the difference was humongous and so did my wife.
that is why I have changed the screen in my room.

The difference was so significant that Post installation my wife said " it feels as if we have installed a big TV in our room"

I used to think :

1) just a decent white fabric/material would be sufficient to get quality visuals. So any brand or even DIY can save a lot of money on screens.

2) The projector quality matters a lot and the screen hardly matters. So use the max budget to get a quality projector.

Finally I found this.

I'm sure few might have experienced this, but many are still unaware of the kind of impact a projector screen can have.

hope this helps :)
Doesn't the black level decrease with the sample screen in this video? How are the blacks in flesh?

Doesn't the black level decrease with the sample screen in this video? How are the blacks in flesh?
Black levels decreased because the screen gain is high when compared to the existing screen. (As this is In my bedroom, which is painted in a very light shade)
When installed in a dedicated home theatre room the blacks will be hardly affected.

The overall contrast ratio has significantly increased because the whites are way more brighter than before.

Did you notice how the depth of the image is increasing when the sample material is used. ( Because the contrast ratio is increasing)

Black levels decreased because the screen gain is high when compared to the existing screen. (As this is In my bedroom, which is painted in a very light shade)
When installed in a dedicated home theatre room the blacks will be hardly affected.

The overall contrast ratio has significantly increased because the whites are way more brighter than before.

Did you notice how the depth of the image is increasing when the sample material is used. ( Because the contrast ratio is increasing)
Got it. Yes, I can see the depth of the image after you mentioned it. 👍

yes, screen does make lot of difference in the final image and sound quality. the lumina screen which you are comparing has better gain compared to your existing screen, so it looks brighter. but it has many issues as well. the lumina screens weaves are easily visible in bright scenes and it creates dirty screen effect. so it reduces image quality in that sense. there are even better products than lumina to get the best picture and audio quality in India. also the audio transparency is not so great in lumina screens compared to better brands .i have tested almost 14 screen brands from all over the world for sound transparency, weave visibility, gain and color temperature.
please don't go for perforated screens, those are very bad for audio and picture quality. higher gain does not mean it is better.

There are two woven AT screen models.
The pro version's weave aren't creating any issue.
( I have changed my screen )
I will try to sit closer and see if I can notice any issues.
I will also test the Acoustical transparency of this screen soon and update.
Though Seymour screens are regarded as the best, they aren't directly available in India and are expensive.
Lumina screens are decently priced unlike other expensive screens which can cost even more than the cost of the projector.
The perforated screen sample is also available in non perforated version but I was only sent the perforated version.
I would reserve the use of perforated screen only in cases where that 1.4 gain is an absolute must. ( Which happened in case of - home theatre of the decade- AVSFORUM )
the non perforated 1.4 gain screen looks like a good option in cases where high brightness on a big screen is needed to get that bright HDR images

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back