Projector Screen Size & Video Source Quality Discussion

I use my projector daily 3 to 4 hrs ..... playing games on PC watching movies Bluray.

and on weekends i use it for continuously 10 to 12 hrs .... not turning it off for 5 minutes also. No issues faced till now using it from past 3 months.

How many hours does that work out to till date.....The Lamp hours???

I have bit of a motion sickness problem and at times large screen close triggers sickness in lot of panning shots like formula1 race or even cricket match. No problem in movies though.

I am using 120in at 10ft.

I have bit of a motion sickness problem and at times large screen close triggers sickness in lot of panning shots like formula1 race or even cricket match. No problem in movies though.

I am using 120in at 10ft.

120" @10feet? that's big man :)
Il be around same distance and mostly will go for 100". I am worried if a guest will have to pull a chair and sit at 8 feet on the 2nd row. I guess il give the guests the 10ft seat if that happens.

Last edited:
120" @10feet? that's big man :)
Il be around same distance and mostly will go for 100". I am worried if a guest will have to pull a chair and sit at 8 feet on the 2nd row. I guess il give the guests the 10ft seat if that happens.
My HT room is 11x15. All my AV equipment is located opposite to screen behind sitting position. There are two Benefits of this. One I don't see any blinking lights from various equipments. Second, it leave some room between chairs and rear speakers in 7.1 setup.

So the sitting is at approximately 10ft with recliner pushing back may be another foot.

Yes the screen is big but for movies the experience very good. No guests allowed its strictly two people only.

Irrespective of the screen size, back bars' appearing on the top and bottom is normal when watching video sources that were originally recorded in a widescreen aspect ratio.

The film industry uses two major aspect ratios 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 (16:9 is the easy way of labeling the 1.78:1 aspect ratio)

I do not understand the reason you are opting for a 4:3 screen... :confused:

Re: Would you buy a 100" screen for 9 feet viewing distance

How you say it is 4:3, the specs states it is 16:9, 100 inch, 7*5. Am I missing anything?

Here are your basic formulas for calculating projector screen dimensions. They are slightly rounded for your convenience.

Simply put, a 16:9 projection screen is 1.78 times as wide as it is high. 16 / 9 = 1.78 (rounded)

If you know your projector screens diagonal size:

Projector Screen Width: The width of the projector screen is approximately 87% of the projector screens diagonal, so multiply the diagonal measurement by approximately 0.87.

Projector Screen Height: To calculate the projector screen height, multiply the diagonal by approximately 0.495. In other words the height of the screen is just a bit less than 50% of the diagonal.

Example:
Diagonal Size of a home theater screen: 100?

Projector screen width: 0.87 x 100? = 87 inches
Projector screen height: 0.495 x 100? = 49.5 inches

hope this helps

Thanks for taking time to explain.

As per your calculation, if the 7*5 , 100 inch is 7*4 it would be perfect 16:9.

Right now it looks like the height is little bit extra as it is 7*5. Will it be a big difference, I guess, the 16:9 can still be achieved.

Would you settle for a 100" screen for 9 feet viewing distance ?

Would you settle for a 100" screen for 10 feet viewing distance ?

Opinions please.
I think 92 inch screen will be suitable in your case but why don't you check some shops which are available with screens for comfortable viewing.You can visit them and they will direct you to select the right one.Last month,i was in need of a projector screen which i bought from elitescreens.They are available with variety of screens for all dimensions.You can also visit online at elitescreen.com

How you say it is 4:3, the specs states it is 16:9, 100 inch, 7*5. Am I missing anything?

they r saying its 16:9 coz u can also use it for projecting 16:9 ...... but its basically a 4:3 screen.

there are others who can show a 10x8feet screen and say that u can use it for 100" 16:9 ...... Yes, u can use it for projecting a 16:9 100" image but the other part of screen is just useless.....its basically a 4:3 screen.
Thats what happened with me when I was searching for installing a screen for myself :D but luckily I ended up with a good 7x4feet perfect 16:9 screen.

Cheers,
Aditya

Its Simple mathematics buddy.

16/9 = 1.78
7/5 = 1.40

It means that if you use the entire screen's height for a 16:9 programme/movie, your image's width will exceed the border by the excess factor of 1.78 over 1.40.

As a result to adjust your image somehow on your screen as big and as wide as possible, you will try to fit the source programme's width instead on your screen. Now its quite obvious the reverse will happen- the resulting height of image will be less than your screen's height and your screen will show some blank area either at top/bottom.

Your screen is closer to 4:3 screen because 4/3 = 1.33 which is closer to 1.40 than 1.78

This is the reason Aquarian and myself bought the 7*4 screen. You see 7/4 = 1.75. This is as close to 1.78 as it can get. very very minimal screen area gets blank, coverable easily by a black tape/cloth/paper.

EDIT: I noted later that the issue was explained well by hydrovac. I still hope this helps.

Last edited:

Its Simple mathematics buddy.

16/9 = 1.78
7/5 = 1.40

It means that if you use the entire screen's height for a 16:9 programme/movie, your image's width will exceed the border by the excess factor of 1.78 over 1.40.

As a result to adjust your image somehow on your screen as big and as wide as possible, you will try to fit the source programme's width instead on your screen. Now its quite obvious the reverse will happen- the resulting height of image will be less than your screen's height and your screen will show some blank area either at top/bottom.

Your screen is closer to 4:3 screen because 4/3 = 1.33 which is closer to 1.40 than 1.78

This is the reason Aquarian and myself bought the 7*4 screen. You see 7/4 = 1.75. This is as close to 1.78 as it can get. very very minimal screen area gets blank, coverable easily by a black tape/cloth/paper.

EDIT: I noted later that the issue was explained well by hydrovac. I still hope this helps.

Perfect explanation :)
I hope you understood the concept now Murli ;)

Should you use high gain grey screen for high contrast projectors like Epson TW8200?
Reason behind is white walls..
And personally being high contrast lover..

Back