PS3 Slim Confirmed - USD 299

you still can watch a lot of blu ray movies on a PS3 as nowadays most of the movies are region free as well.
Vj

has anyone compared the SQ difference between bitstream/ lpcm?

If a person has a good AVR which has good DAC then it would sound better while bitstreaming from PS3 even if its lossy Dolby Digital or DTS as compared to LPCM.
The main disadvantage of LPCM through Ps3 is that if you use the pure direct mode in the AVR then Ps3 sounds scratchy and is a bit harsh on ear, whereas if we use various Sound Processing modes on the AVR then this problem is solved to an extent because of the audissey coming into action, but then the processing plays with the signal and distributes it to each speaker as it is programed to do and we are not able to take the true and lossless advantage of the HD audio.

has anyone compared the SQ difference between bitstream/ lpcm?

yes between ps3, bd 50 denon 1909, onkyo 606 and iron man BD - the sound was richer somehow when it was bitstreamed. LPCM sounded weak and hollow and the center channel was the one that suffered more - this was more for the ps3 than the bd50.

Well this was tested for one blueray movie only - dunno how others fared.

I bought the PS3 slim off ebay yesterday. It should reach me soon. Not sure if it is launched in India yet. But this is supposed to come with bill and warranty at Rs.18990/-. I also made use of the Ebay Diwali offer and got a tiny external 60GB Trek Hard disk.

Here is the link:
eBay India: SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SLIM 120GB WITH BILL + WARRANTY (item 110444494431 end time 21-Oct-2009 09:30:00 IST)

Also on ebay is the PS3 (80 gb model) at Rs.16990/- here:
eBay India: SONY PLAYSTATION 3 GAMING CONSOLE 80GB + 2 GAMES FREE (item 190341322500 end time 21-Oct-2009 10:30:00 IST)

IMO, both are fantastic deals and it was difficult to make a choice. I just went for the PS3 Slim because it can do DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD.

I bought the PS3 slim off ebay yesterday. It should reach me soon. Not sure if it is launched in India yet. But this is supposed to come with bill and warranty at Rs.18990/-. I also made use of the Ebay Diwali offer and got a tiny external 60GB Trek Hard disk.

Here is the link:
eBay India: SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SLIM 120GB WITH BILL + WARRANTY (item 110444494431 end time 21-Oct-2009 09:30:00 IST)

eBay India: SONY PLAYSTATION 3 GAMING CONSOLE 80GB + 2 GAMES FREE (item 190341322500 end time 21-Oct-2009 10:30:00 IST)

IMO, both are fantastic deals and it was difficult to make a choice. I just went for the PS3 Slim because it can do DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD.

The original PS3 can do DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD as well..

Very good price. I enquired at grey market and were quoting 19500 :eek:

Here is the link:

The original PS3 can do DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD as well..
I meant the slim can bitstream the HD formats as against LPCM in the original PS3. To me this is important as I plan to use this as a Blu Ray player as well.

Very good price. I enquired at grey market and were quoting 19500 :eek:
Nice to see you here Kiran. Welcome:clapping:

Sony India hasn't announced the New Slim version of PS3 as of yet in India, so the ebay deal most probably has to be a parallel import stuff. I have confirmed the prices of the import from Hong Kong here in Delhi and it was quoted around 17.5K for the Slim.
The fact would be confirmed as soon as someone recieves this Slim PS3 by checking out its region coding which should be C and 5 if its an official product otherwise its an import and the warranty for which would not be entertained by Sony India.
Its clearly mentioned in the listing that the warranty is from the dealer which confirms its grey status.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back