PS3 Slim Confirmed - USD 299

I bought the PS3 slim off ebay yesterday. It should reach me soon. Not sure if it is launched in India yet. But this is supposed to come with bill and warranty at Rs.18990/-.

IMO, both are fantastic deals and it was difficult to make a choice. I just went for the PS3 Slim because it can do DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD.

Congrats Santhosh, Finally I get some additional sales incentive :cool:

Hope to see you online, are you planning to buy any games at all now? If you need anything PM me, I can ship it to through friends :)

Sony India hasn't announced the New Slim version of PS3 as of yet in India, so the ebay deal most probably has to be a parallel import stuff. I have confirmed the prices of the import from Hong Kong here in Delhi and it was quoted around 17.5K for the Slim.
The fact would be confirmed as soon as someone recieves this Slim PS3 by checking out its region coding which should be C and 5 if its an official product otherwise its an import and the warranty for which would not be entertained by Sony India.
Its clearly mentioned in the listing that the warranty is from the dealer which confirms its grey status.
Thanks Ashish. When I asked the seller, he confirmed that mine is Region A and 3. Like you mentioned, it is a one year warranty from the dealer not by Sony India meaning I have to send it back to them for repair/replacement.

From what I understand, it is better to get a Region A player because most of the movies are made for USA (which is also in the same region)? Can you please throw some light on what the number denotes in the region code? Is it DVD region code?

Thanks Ashish. When I asked the seller, he confirmed that mine is Region A and 3. Like you mentioned, it is a one year warranty from the dealer not by Sony India meaning I have to send it back to them for repair/replacement.

From what I understand, it is better to get a Region A player because most of the movies are made for USA (which is also in the same region)? Can you please throw some light on what the number denotes in the region code? Is it DVD region code?

Region A is for the US and also most releases tend to be superior in the US rather than the Region B & C. Eg - The Shawshank Redemption & Also Watchmen (Directors cut in US & Theatrical in other regions).

There is a list of blu ray movies which are region-free, could be of interest to you.

Blu-Ray Movie Region Coding Database List

Also region 3 for DVD's is from Hong Kong, So may be your's is shipped from Hongkong. Are DVD's sold in India region encoded, I don't think so. I've a PAL DVD player sourced from UK which reads them all. I think you're good to go.

Unless and untill you don't rent dvd's from rental library's it shouldn't be much of a problem. I too have the same region PS3 which is unable to play any Indian DVDs which are region encoded to 5.

Thanks Ashish ji. Region A BDPs can be soft hacked to play all DVDs right?

At first don't give me so much respect by calling Ji, it makes me feel older, except PS3 all dedicated BD player can be made multi region only for playing DVD's through remote codes.

yes between ps3, bd 50 denon 1909, onkyo 606 and iron man BD - the sound was richer somehow when it was bitstreamed. LPCM sounded weak and hollow and the center channel was the one that suffered more - this was more for the ps3 than the bd50.

Well this was tested for one blueray movie only - dunno how others fared.

+1 to that...after reading this thread...I changed the LPCM to Bitstream(though it popped up a message saying few sounds on BD Movie won't be played). SQ was significantly good over LPCM. What made me wonder was Onkyo 606 showed TrueHD logo when bitstream is enabled for 2.0 setup also(I don't know if its related or not)....

Another thing about PS3 Slim(don't know about PS3 & PS2) consoles from US are 240V compatible. No need of step down transformers. Manual says 120V but a friend of mine used the US made console in Europe. Now, I too run my US made console on 240v.

cheers,
Naren

Region A is for the US and also most releases tend to be superior in the US rather than the Region B & C. Eg - The Shawshank Redemption & Also Watchmen (Directors cut in US & Theatrical in other regions).
Fantastic Teky, feel much better now:)

Unless and untill you don't rent dvd's from rental library's it shouldn't be much of a problem. I too have the same region PS3 which is unable to play any Indian DVDs which are region encoded to 5.
For DVDs, I have a Pioneer multi-region player, so not a problem.

+1 to that...after reading this thread...I changed the LPCM to Bitstream(though it popped up a message saying few sounds on BD Movie won't be played). SQ was significantly good over LPCM. What made me wonder was Onkyo 606 showed TrueHD logo when bitstream is enabled for 2.0 setup also(I don't know if its related or not)....
Thanks for confirming Venkus. BTW, whats involved in the Hard Disk upgrade of the PS3 Slim? Is it just replacing the 120 GB with a 500 GB 2.5 inch sata Hard-drive?

Thanks for confirming Venkus. BTW, whats involved in the Hard Disk upgrade of the PS3 Slim? Is it just replacing the 120 GB with a 500 GB 2.5 inch sata Hard-drive?

Hi Santhol,
You are welcome brother. I am glad you found my response useful. Regarding HDD upgrade...After you upgrade to new HDD, the console will ask you to install/upgrade the firmware via USB or Internet...and...if your HDD is not FAT32..then PS3 will do it for you..

In case you need directions to upgrade to new HDD on Slim..

YouTube - PlayStation 3 Slim Hard Drive Upgrade (HOWTO)

Happy Diwali..Enjoy

Cheers,
Naren

Last edited:
I've got 2 used PS3 games for sale and 1 new one.

1) Ridge Racer (255rmb)
2) Mobile Suit Gundam (255rmb)
3) Gundam Dynasty Warriors (NEW) (430rmb)

I bought Gundam Dynasty Warriors for 480rmb, but I'm selling it for 430rmb. I just don't have time to play and they're just sitting there. All are "real" PS3 games. The used games are barely played as well. All come with original packaging and also the instruction booklet.

please PM me if interested!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back