Pune AV meet 2012 - Feedback

jbgude

Guys it was a pleasure to meet up with all of you. On the suggestion of one "our netas", I would like to throw up some points for consideration on the subject of organizing our meets and play the devil's advocate:

1. For a room of that size we used we need to cut off the attendance, ideally to about 25.
2. Have a break after about every 2 hrs to reduce fatigue.( more on this)
3. Have a strict rule of no LOUD talking while tests/ comparisons are ongoing!
4.We need to play a set of tracks, ideally by (pre) voting: covering all aspects of music, Vocals and Instrumentals / High tweet -Cymbals /Heavy Bass/ Mid range -and use at across all tests.
5. Preferably, play music at lower volume levels ( except Hard rock etc)
6. We need to have a basic set up done one day previous, if not at least a couple of hours earlier.
7.Plan our apparatus for 1. Entry level 2. Mid range 3. High End and
play in all 3 rooms " Western soft rock - classical / Hard Rock/ Hindi / Instrumental etc etc , or have it vice-versa.

Since, all of us have different tastes in music, boredom is sure to start after the initial period of enthusiasm and curiosity: People start to get distracted or bored if :
a) they do not like the sound
b) the music is not to their taste ( Hindi / Western/ Hard / Soft )
c) it is too loud or too soft( cannot hear clearly)

I observed and experienced these aspects during the meet and sadly, I too was guilty of the same offensive behavior( talking while the music was playing):eek:

Ideally, we should try to get a venue like or a school / college which has several rooms close to each other, we need to plan a date well in advance like airlines etc we can make a few extra "bookings" for the inevitable drop outs and last minute attendee requests. Of course, we may have to plan a schedule of around 8 to 10 hours as we cannot always be lucky to have as accommodating a host as Viki.(just saw Viki's post for the next meet:p)

Well, these are among the first thoughts, I am sure we can get feedback and suggestions for improvements from all members of our forum.

Thank you to all the organisors and volunteers once again, for all your efforts.
Perhaps someone can start a vote/ poll on these and other aspects.

Hi JB,

Noted the contents of your mail & of this post. Most do make sense so let us hope to incorporate them for future meets. Constructive discussions like this will help all of us.

:)

All points valid, and will be factored in when we plan the next one.

As reg the space, just wanted to let you know - last time we had 34 sign ups, but only 15-20 actually showed up. Accordingly, with 35 signing up this time, we expected maybe 25-30 max. Instead, we actually had 37 at one point ! So, the population density was a bit high, but then again, hey, the more the merrier !

Viki

my 2 cents:

1st priority to be Quality Music (That's what it is all about, right? :) )

1) Predefined test tracks, one of each genre
Reason: This will test the equipment across all genres
Observation: The dominant genre was Fast music and Rock (or sub-genres).

2) Well mastered tracks
Reason: known to all

3) Same tracks to be played across all gear (even if it may be boring but it is very necessary)
Reason: So there is common standard and all equipment have a level playing field.

4) Well known tracks
Reason: Playing familiar tracks helps a lot. Instead of listening to new music, it is much better to appreciate known music and see how it sounds on the system. (Think Darde Dil ;) Just kidding. But you get the idea.. )

2nd priority to be Quality Music... ;)
3rd priority to be refer 1st point... :D

Just my humble suggestions in the spirit of good music, for music :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi JB,

Noted the contents of your mail & of this post. Most do make sense so let us hope to incorporate them for future meets. Constructive discussions like this will help all of us.

:)

Why my lord this has happened like previous chennai meet ?

Too many cooks (with different tastes) would always spoil the broth ... no pun intended. Serious listening CAN only happen in smaller batches. Larger gatherings may not be the way out for serious evaluations.

Valid Points.. Another observation - There were too many variables brought in during the start of demos ie. changing the amp, DAC and/or speakers at one go.

Once we have the confirmed gear in place, we draw up the demo schedule before the kickoff and stick to the schedule as much as possible.

Another suggestion. I believe this was done last time. Evaluation/feedback should be captured individually and then consolidated on a few key factors viz. SQ /tonal quality, balance, etc.. preferably on a scale of say 1- 10. Gets a little complicated but I guess that makes it more objectivity and seriousness in the whole thing. Post that we have a "Party" ?

my 2 cents:

1st priority to be Quality Music (That's what it is all about, right? :) )

1) Predefined test tracks, one of each genre
Reason: This will test the equipment across all genres
Observation: The dominant genre was Fast music and Rock (or sub-genres).

2) Well mastered tracks
Reason: known to all

3) Same tracks to be played across all gear (even if it may be boring but it is very necessary)
Reason: So there is common standard and all equipment have a level playing field.

4) Well known tracks
Reason: Playing familiar tracks helps a lot. Instead of listening to new music, it is much better to appreciate known music and see how it sounds on the system. (Think Darde Dil ;) Just kidding. But you get the idea.. )

2nd priority to be Quality Music... ;)
3rd priority to be refer 1st point... :D

Just my humble suggestions in the spirit of good music, for music :)

Thanks!

Valid Points.. Another observation - There were too many variables brought in during the start of demos ie. changing the amp, DAC and/or speakers at one go.

Once we have the confirmed gear in place, we draw up the demo schedule before the kickoff and stick to the schedule as much as possible.

Another suggestion. I believe this was done last time. Evaluation/feedback should be captured individually and then consolidated on a few key factors viz. SQ /tonal quality, balance, etc.. preferably on a scale of say 1- 10. Gets a little complicated but I guess that makes it more objectivity and seriousness in the whole thing. Post that we have a "Party" ?

jbgude, rohitmusic, jamz4nikz03 & anyone else who has similar ideas will form core committe & be the ones running the next meet. Lets see how you guys can take this forward. Myself & the others will put our feet up & watch the show unravel :eek:hyeah:

Why my lord this has happened like previous chennai meet ?

When 1 is part of organising committe, 1 has to accept brickbats more than bouquets, that is part of the game. Time for me to collect mine for this one :p

Too many cooks (with different tastes) would always spoil the broth ... no pun intended. Serious listening CAN only happen in smaller batches. Larger gatherings may not be the way out for serious evaluations.

How can we decide who can be part of the small batch & who can't??? VIP status kiska hai, kiska nahi??? :lol: Larger gatherings have their +ve's & -ve's/we just have to accept it as is :cool: Remember what happened during our last mumbai meet :rolleyes:

Critical listening sessions that the 3 esteemed FM's of ours have rightly pointed out can take place when we have a dedicated set-up, 1 only in each room, with maximum 3 seats. When vacant, the person interested can enter that particular room & decide how & what he wants to listen to. The others will have to patiently wait for their turn as well & not get annoyed :p

So suggesting the above members to analyse this particular scenario as well.

My 100 Rs. ;)

as long as you guys had fun.. just close the matter and move on..

please enjoy the music and more importantly the 1 or 2 or more friendships struck on that day.

PS : I think the guys who are interested must take up the initiative and implement it all.

Please remember these meets are honorary ones and has to happen in a day.. and all expectations cannot be met.

PS2 : I was not part of the meet but i liked seeing all the guys in person.

PS3 : Gusy interested in critical listening.. please get your ears certified for hearing freq 20 Hz to 20khz please..

PS4 : Hari - this is OT but if you are seeing this thread.. your speakers will not match with ALL setups and ALL rooms. This is true for my speakers and all speakers as well. Please make the TL's with 1 or 2 common amps in mind - depending on the target market and make it sound good with them.

mpw

Not possible to have rules of how many could attend.

The more the formality it is less fun.

You should take in lighter vein for having more fun and lesser critical listening.

In a group larger than 10 people and many equipment to review it is impossible to have critical listening.

More than anything we need to appreciate they made something happen which is not very easy in these busy days.

Thanks

IME, most systems need a little time to start playing to their potential. This is because when you are changing cables, it takes a little time to settle down, probably at least half hour. Also when you have more than one speaker in a room, the other speakers begin to act like passive radiators. Thats why most high end showrooms abroad have separate rooms.

Having said what is ideal, i am still in favor of meets like the one in Pune. What these meets achieve is that one gets at least an idea of the sound signature he or she likes. Then more research/listening can be done in a controlled environment to take a final call.

Such meets are very useful to help shortlist.

Friends, Please kindly treat these as just nice to have guidelines that can help all of us in the long run. :) Shared it from future meets perspective as feedback, since the thread asks for :)

Please kindly excuse me if it came across otherwise. Needless to say I have great appreciation for volunteers and organizers alike having been there done that - it is a thankless job. ;) This feedback is by us for us. :)

Humble Regards!

Last edited:
I think these kind of meets exposes one to the many brands and likeminded people. For buying decisions it is always better to audition alone or with one two trusted ears. ( pls adjust the bias of your trusted friends). These meets do help us in associating with each other and exposing us to different equipment and brands. So i am for not having any guidelines as such for these meets. Hats off to the ppl who have organised and hosted the event. Thanks a lot from all of us out here.

I think these kind of meets exposes one to the many brands and likeminded people. For buying decisions it is always better to audition alone or with one two trusted ears. ( pls adjust the bias of your trusted friends). These meets do help us in associating with each other and exposing us to different equipment and brands. So i am for not having any guidelines as such for these meets. Hats off to the ppl who have organised and hosted the event. Thanks a lot from all of us out here.

In fact I would say one such meet is equivalent to many months/years? experience. Otherwise there are very limited options especially for beginners. Only option is to visit the HIFI shops.

I think these kind of meets exposes one to the many brands and likeminded people. For buying decisions it is always better to audition alone or with one two trusted ears. ( pls adjust the bias of your trusted friends).

You should take in lighter vein for having more fun and lesser critical listening.In a group larger than 10 people and many equipment to review it is impossible to have critical listening.

I think these views just about sums it up for a meet like this ! Let us use them as an opportunity to get an idea of the speakers and the other equipment put on display/ trial.

One real negative from this meet for me is contracting this unrequired infection known as upgradeitis;)

Check this link

x56nuo.jpg

;)

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back