Purchase of Full-HD TV - Expert Advice Required.

Sy Almighty

I've tried finding my answers by researching a million review websites. Finding this Forum is a Godsend. So here is my Dilemma.

I've a tough job trying to convince my dad to throw out our ancient Philips 21" CRT and get a new Tech TV. So I need to give him Valid Reasons and Arguments as to why he should even spend the money I'm asking him to.

Here's what is my requirement:

0. A Budget Maximum of Rs.50,000/-

1. PLASMA (with Progressive Scan or similar technologies to avoid Pixel Burn) or LED Backlit-LCD only (Minimum 100Hz Refresh Rate/Motion Flow - This condition is preferable but not compulsory).

2. 32 inches to 42 inches.

3. Full HD 1080p compulsory.

4. Minimum 3 HDMI Ports, 1 USB Port (Optional but would be great), Regular AV Out Port for Old DVD Players.

5. Should be able to connect my PC/Laptop to TV.

6. Good Enough Sound.

Last but not least, please feel free to give me tips or advice on anything else YOU think I may need to ask the Retailer while purchasing the TV.

Thanks a lot guys. If this exact same criteria has been asked please post a link to the thread as I could not find it.

Last edited:
Here's what is my requirement:

0. A Budget Maximum of Rs.50,000/-

1. PLASMA (with Progressive Scan or similar technologies to avoid Pixel Burn) or LED Backlit-LCD only (Minimum 100Hz Refresh Rate/Motion Flow - This condition is preferable but not compulsory).

2. 32 inches to 42 inches.

3. Full HD 1080p compulsory.

4. Minimum 3 HDMI Ports, 1 USB Port (Optional but would be great), Regular AV Out Port for Old DVD Players.

5. Should be able to connect my PC/Laptop to TV.

6. Good Enough Sound.
Within the limitation of your budget, your options are rather limited and your best bet would be to get the Panasonic TH-P42X20. If you are really particular about the "good enough sound", then you might want to look at the Panasonic TH-P42A20. Do keep in mind that neither of these are 'Full HD 1080p' but take my word for it, that for any TV equal to, or smaller than 42 inches, it really makes absolutely no difference whether you get a Full HD 1080p or a HD Ready 720p TV.

Within the limitation of your budget, your options are rather limited and your best bet would be to get the Panasonic TH-P42X20. If you are really particular about the "good enough sound", then you might want to look at the Panasonic TH-P42A20. Do keep in mind that neither of these are 'Full HD 1080p' but take my word for it, that for any TV equal to, or smaller than 42 inches, it really makes absolutely no difference whether you get a Full HD 1080p or a HD Ready 720p TV.

well i cannot even make that difference between 720p and 1080p in 50" also unless i come very close.the viewing distance is a very critical factor and i didnt realise its importance till i bought the tv,but dont worry 720p itself is very very good, no comparison to the SD we used to watch all our life.IMHO more importance need to be given to other parameters like contrast,color rendition/signal/motion processing etc than going for the 1080p

but take my word for it, that for any TV equal to, or smaller than 42 inches, it really makes absolutely no difference whether you get a Full HD 1080p or a HD Ready 720p TV.

1. I intend on getting a Blu-Ray DVD Player in the near future in which they say the movies are rendered at 24 frames per second for which they say 1080p would make it look awesome.

2. I also hear these days Games are released for 1080p resolution.

3. If I take up SunDirect HD / TataSky HD / DishTV HD which mostly I will, will 720p give the same clarity as 1080p?

So, in regard of the above 3 points, is 720p good? I love rich colours and clarity. So would love for it to look that way. Tips brothers?

1. I intend on getting a Blu-Ray DVD Player in the near future in which they say the movies are rendered at 24 frames per second for which they say 1080p would make it look awesome.

2. I also hear these days Games are released for 1080p resolution.

3. If I take up SunDirect HD / TataSky HD / DishTV HD which mostly I will, will 720p give the same clarity as 1080p?

So, in regard of the above 3 points, is 720p good? I love rich colours and clarity. So would love for it to look that way. Tips brothers?
Uff.. the doubting never ends. Arre baba jab bola na, there will be no practical difference between Full HD 1080p and HD Ready 720p on a 42" or smaller TV. This applies irrespective of source, ie. Blu-ray/DTH HD/Games. As stated by 'borg' in his post above, the fact is, it is very difficult to tell the difference even on a 50" TV and the only reason I state 42" or smaller, is because I don't want get into arguments with some over zealous LCD fans.

Regarding, Blu-rays and 24 frames per second, as it states that is the number of 'frames per second' and has nothing to do with the resolution. You would still get 24 frames per second even with the 720p resolution.

Regarding games, first of all there are very, very few games that are native 1080. Secondly, lots of gmaes don't even support scaling to 1080 and only play upto 720. Finally, none of this matters on a 42" or smaller TV anyhow. That is, not unless you plan on viewing TV from 3 - 4 feet only.

According to the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF), a group that consults for home-theater manufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, resolution only comes in fourth amongst factors that determine picture quality.

1. Contrast
2. Color Saturation
3. Color Accuracy
4. Resolution

Last edited:
HI,
Go4 samsung 32" fullhd c630 series.It suits to ur need.it is available 4 RS 41000 at pai .it can play all format.worth for money.with remaining 9000 rs go 4 sony blueray player if u have money buy sony ps3. :licklips:

HI,
Go4 samsung 32" fullhd c630 series.It suits to ur need.it is available 4 RS 41000 at pai ,bangalore.it can play all format.worth for money.with remaining 9000 rs go 4 sony blueray player. if uextra have money buy sony ps3(.sony ps3 RS 19900 WITH 120 GB HDD)It will play all blue ray movies,inbuilt 5.1 dolby,plays good quality games .1 of beauty is remote is superb. Instead of normal blue ray player go4 sony ps3 .every penny is worth and its wifi ready.u can browse net ,ur pc etc.

Go4 samsung 32" fullhd c630 series.It suits to ur need.it is available 4 RS 41000 at pai.
Why would you recommend a 32" TV when you can get a 42" for the same price? I am also willing to bet that the 42" plasma will be better than the 32" LCD, irrespective of their resolutions. On the 32" TV, you can't tell the difference between 'Full HD'
or 'HD Ready' even if your life depended on it.

DEAR SANJAY,
I AM insisting full hd because of clarity.u must try blue ray,mkv format and dvd format on hd ready lcd to full hd lcd. also 42 "entry level plasma has lot of issues.u may c different threads in this forum.plasma is worth only above 40 " size.
sachin

u must try blue ray,mkv format and dvd format on hd ready lcd to full hd lcd.
I have lots and lots of experience with all kinds of TVs, be they LCDs, Plasmas or CRTs. Also, I have watched hundreds/thousands of SD and HD movies/documentaries on these different types of TVs, to atleast know enough to justify my suggestions made earlier in this thread.

I AM insisting full hd because of clarity.
Having repeated myself several times in this thread alone, I will say this once more, there is no practical difference in "clarity" between 'Full HD' and 'HD Ready' on a 32" TV. I wish you would read my posts more carefully before responding.

also 42 "entry level plasma has lot of issues.
I am not sure what "lot of issues" you are referring to. I wish you would specify the issues, rather than just making such blanket and dismissive statements.

u may c different threads in this forum.plasma is worth only above 40 " size.
Isn't 42" above your quoted 40" size? Since I am recommending a 42" Plasma, I suppose you are in agreement with me then.

Hi sanjay,
i am just expressing my viewpoint.nothing personal.after at all we r helping each other about technical views and better choices. Regarding plasma issues lot of people r experiencing black level issues wrt panasonic plasma tvs .also lg and other plasma tv (mfrs) not selling latests plasma in indian market,so we r not getting latest models in indian market.

Finally too much technicality kills enjoyment .

Hope finally it is upto individuals to see,feel hear and get ready to pay for what they experience an dlie.

Well you easily get a samsung 40" FHD lcd like the C530 within your budget,has excellent contrast and image processing.
Or if you buy them in sukhsagar mall located in gandhinagar next to the main bus stand you can get a sony 40" EX400 for 44k but without warranty.

if you can control the lighting in your room go for plasma(advantage .better PQ, no viewing angle issue) otherwise go for LCD.Unless it is an IPS panel viewing angle is problem for LCD displays

go for plasma(advantage .better PQ).Unless it is an IPS panel viewing angle is problem for LCD displays

Well its not true.
While Viewing angle of IPS is good,but the VA based panels are more then enough,only TN lcds are bad.

Well its not true.
While Viewing angle of IPS is good,but the VA based panels are more then enough,only TN lcds are bad.

VA is defenitily better than TN, but has off angle color shift problems,

i am just expressing my viewpoint.nothing personal.after at all we r helping each other about technical views and better choices.
Sachin, nothing meant or taken personally on my end either.

Regarding plasma issues lot of people r experiencing black level issues wrt panasonic plasma tvs
Actually I am not too sure how much this is a real problem, atleast for most people, rather than an issue that has gotten magnified on the net with not enough substance to it. Even if there is an issue of reducing blacks, I feel that even after the reduction, the Panasonic plasmas will stil l be well ahead of the average LCD in black levels, for the Panasonic plasmas are that much ahead in black levels of the average LCD.

also lg and other plasma tv (mfrs) not selling latests plasma in indian market,so we r not getting latest models in indian market.
I am not to sure of the LG plasmas, but I can assure you that Samsung is selling their very latest models and surprisingly this year even Panasonic is doing the same.

Finally too much technicality kills enjoyment.
I totally agree with you on this. Too many people get too involved in the semantics of things and forget that ultimately it is the picture in front of you that matters. It is keeping in line with this, that I strongly recommend the Panasonic 42" TVs over any LCD in their price range, specially if the LCD is only 32".

Last edited:
i think it also depends on the purpose for the tv.. if you have ambitions for a mega entertainer getting a 720p will remain at the back of your mind even if you couldnt tell the difference. If its a living room tv its ok. for 50 k you will get sony bx 400 full hd 1080p so if you are willing to spend 50 k why get 720 p when you can get 1080p and be future proof? not that i know what the future holds but it should last you your money's worth :)

getting a 720p will remain at the back of your mind even if you couldnt tell the difference.
I am truelly stumped & speechless to answer that one.

If its a living room tv its ok. for 50 k you will get sony bx 400 full hd 1080p so if you are willing to spend 50 k why get 720 p when you can get 1080p and be future proof?
Maybe because ultimately it is not the semantics of 'resolution', frame rate', 'contrast levels' etc. etc. that matter, but rather the overall picture quality that one sees. Once again, I repeat the following:

According to the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF), a group that consults for home-theater manufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, 'resolution' only comes in fourth amongst factors that determine picture quality.
In order of importance:
1. Contrast
2. Color Saturation
3. Color Accuracy
4. Resolution

get 1080p and be future proof?
1080p is not the 'future', it is very much, the 'present'. So how would 1080p make the TV future proof? If 1080p does not matter today on a 32" - 42" TV, then it will certainly not matter in the 'future' either, ie. even when in the 'future' we have 'Super HD' (4096 x 2160).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back