purchasing outside india??

manu4panjab

has anyone ever bought any speakers or subwoofer or amplifier outside from india

if yes how much do they actually cost from their actual prices

and also share pros and cons of it

or is here someone who like to buy outside india and also paid them but never get his equipment

Yogesh, there are a number of problems in buying from outside India:

1. Voltage and plug issues

2. Some products are manufactured for specific regions. You will region and other issues with products such as DVD Players.

3. The product will NOT be supported in India by the local representative. Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha all specifically say the product will only be supported in country of purchase. Local distributors are so cheap that they will also not sign any annual maintenance contract after the first year is complete. International warranties have no value in India.

4. Customs is an unknown. You never know how they will react when you declare the products, You could get away scot free with no duty, you could be slapped some minor duties, or the products could be confiscated. Of course, of you know someone in customs, this problem could be solved.

5. If the total weight you are carrying is more than 20Kg, you could end up paying large sum for excess baggage. In addition, some airlines have restriction on number of packages you could check in. Singapore Airlines, for example does not allow more than 3 or 4 packages per passenger in addition to the weight limit.

Cheers

has anyone ever bought any speakers or subwoofer or amplifier outside from india

if yes how much do they actually cost from their actual prices

and also share pros and cons of it

or is here someone who like to buy outside india and also paid them but never get his equipment

you might have come across the 20 something website we discussed for ordering these items from US.

Out of the 3 items you have listed, I would suggest only AVR, as it is easier to bring, maybe in suitcase and also will not attract attention of customs. Getting from UK there will be no voltage issue. From US you will need step down converter (up to 1KW) available locally over here for 1.5k to 2K good quality say MX.

Speakers other than satellites, will be too bulky, risky for damage and attention for customs.:D Buy them locally in India.

Just bring it. Even with 2 or 3K customs Tannoy will be cheaper than Indian prices :)

Cheers

I enquired & found 70pounds for Tany rears ie Rs.5600 ,if added customs(ideally shldnt) +2400 Total cost 8k & in Mumbai 13k,

Either I can save 5k or 7.5k max:clapping:

Shopping from places such as Dubai may be very fruitful. As I found out when I got a NAD C372 recently.

Its a bit of a lottery with the customs like Venkat mentions, but there is a lot of chance that you get through unscathed. But even if you do end up paying the customs fee, you will still end up getting a great deal, most of the time.

However, the local suppliers may not be very happy to service a product that they have not supplied. This is one problem that you might want to think of.

not to mention some amazing offers you get for used or clearance gear in western countries

if the value of product is less than 25K INR you dont have to pay duty. but you need to be very sure that the model no. on the packaging and the invoice are the same. these are all basically when you are bringing them with you when you are travelling.

importing through air / sea freight would be a different procedure. if you are planning that, better to ask the shipper to arrange for a Door Delivery service, who will take care of the customs clearance and delivery. but there is a cost associated with it.

Hi Folks

Purchasing outside INDIA is adding up more trouble these days. Especially speakers not really worth the cost. All the brands are universally priced now a days. Dont take the trouble. Hi end electronics, its still a bet. But check the grey market price before you think of carrying it from abroad. Both principle are same :NO WARRANTY

Shyam prakash

I enquired & found 70pounds for Tany rears ie Rs.5600 ,if added customs(ideally shldnt) +2400 Total cost 8k & in Mumbai 13k,

Either I can save 5k or 7.5k max:clapping:

Shouldn't have to pay any duty whatsoever on a 70 pounds product as duty free limit is 25000/- for items bought in personal luggage.

I need to add that i would not buy electronics such as amp/receiver from somewhere like the US or UK where the power supply is different from ours and I would be forced to use transformers for connectivity.

It is in that light that a place like Dubai or Singapore assumes pertinence.

I need to add that i would not buy electronics such as amp/receiver from somewhere like the US or UK where the power supply is different from ours and I would be forced to use transformers for connectivity.

It is in that light that a place like Dubai or Singapore assumes pertinence.

I believe UK too has 230V power supply.
but as others indicated waranty is a major factor. especially with power fluctuations in India, lack of warranty could be a disaster.

I believe UK too has 230V power supply.
but as others indicated waranty is a major factor. especially with power fluctuations in India, lack of warranty could be a disaster.

For fluctuations we can and should use power conditioners here in India. But yes, for electronics unless you have contacts, it is always a risk to import. But it is all a compromise - just as in life. You cannot have it all and eat it too:)

If you want it that cheap - then there has to be something to pay for ultimately. I would think about it like that.

hey brothers

after all your replies i conclude that we should not buy outside india :D

Well if you have the money and can afford it then by all means buy from outside. A lot of high-end stuff is still not available in India, not even the grey market. Even for stuff that's available a high premium is charged which is not justified IMHO.

I will give you two examples. Around 3-4 years ago a friend wanted to buy Bose speakers (now I will not get into whether Bose is good or bad here), but the price quoted in Hyderabad for the speakers was ridiculously exorbitant. Instead we went to Singapore and bought the same speakers and also had a Singapore holiday for the same price.

Last year a friend wanted to have Stanley upholstery for his new car. For the quoted price in Hyderabad what we did was drive down to Bangalore in the new car and spent 2 days in Bangalore partying and also had upholstery by Stanley all for the same price.

On both occasions we had a good holiday, so if you can afford it then better to go abroad and enjoy a holiday too instead of parting with your hard earned money and giving it locally or even the grey market.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back