Pv8 it is....

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

The one missing link in my setup got filled up today. The big screen TV.:)

Deccision Time:

I have been watching some brands of LCDs and Plasmas in show rooms for some time. But every time i came out i wanted go with a Panasonic. Don't ask me why.(Thank God ours is not like another popular AV forum where a science crowd hangs out and thrash guys for making a simple statement like this new CDP X of mine is better sounding than my older Y CDP, asking them to prove it "scientifically")May be i am biased towards Panny. May be the excellent 29 CRT i have been enjoying for the past 4-5 years has made me very reluctant to give up this brand. So i knew in my guts i will go with a Panny finally and thats what happened.

But the one vexing question was deciding between a Full HD and a HD Ready.But the Tatasky pictures i have been watching on Full HD TVs always horrified me. Cause its DTH we will be watching for 70% of the time. I knew my betterhalf will surely become a bitterhalf if she has to watch these kind of DTH pictures, since she watches the TV whole of day time. I also did not want to watch the DTH movies and sports channles with that kind of quality.Then i talked with our dear mod Ram for a couple of times.The amiable young man was kind enough to give me his time and guide me. The first thing he asked me was my viewing distance.When i told him it is 8 feet now, and likely to increase to 12 feet in 3 months time, pat came the repy... HD Ready it is. Ram said at 8 feet a 42 inch FHD is not going to make any diffrence.So i decided to save myself a cool 27-28k and go for a HD Ready.Cause if it was FHD i would have certainly gone with the G10 and the best price i was quoted was 67-68k after exchange.Couple of more minutes with Ram i decided to choose PV8 over C10.For the simple reason the PV8 is a tried and trusted warhorse.Some of you guys may not think much of my decision of going with a 2008 model.But there it is.As the famous saying goes... YMMV..

Disclaimer:I am not asking you guys not to go for the FHD. But always watch out for your viewig distance wrt to the screen size you are buying.

So the TV was delivered at 8.30 pm yesterday. Me and my son set the TV up and decided to watch some DVD pics first.

The Big screen experince is something you have to feel in your own home.You can never perceive it in a showroom.Going from a 29 CRT to PV8 was like changing your car from a Santro to Honda City.:D All of us were wowed for sure.

DVD Perfromance

Fed the Terminator Salvation DVD into my Oppo and upsclaed it to 720p. The DVD certainly looked better than on my CRT. Being a scifi movie it had a lot of dark scenes.The black level was very good.Then we fed the movie 'Paycheck' and the pictures were really nice.The quality of colour combo and details on the big screen was very evident.Then ripped DVD movies were tried.Whereas they looked excellent on my CRT the PV8 exposed them.Being 7GB files compressed in to 4.7GB DVDs the pics looked pixallated. But the TV proved its full potential when the BBC's Earth docu was played.This is a 1080p content burnt on a DVD. When the picture came on the TV, upsacaled to 1080i, there was a collective gasp from all of us.We were taken aback by the pictrues we were seeing.I know this word is a cliche on the forum guys.But the word 'awesome'came to my mind for the first time since we powered on the TV.I am eagerly looking forward to get a Media Player and feed some 1080p and 720p content to the TV.When i saw this DVD i was convinced my decision was right not going for the FHD.

Tatasky Perfomance:

Well guys, the DTH pics are certainly a notch down from my CRT.That is only to be expected i know.But not as bad as the pics i were seeing on FHDs.Channels like HBO,Starmovies and MGM are looking pretty decent.The letters on the tickers runing on the news channels are absolutely clear. The tamil channels looked ok.Now on to the sporting action. The TV's refresh rate was set to 100Hz. Yesterday night we watched a ManU football match on Star / Espn channel.The TV handled the fast football action without any issues.The ball even during the flight was clearly visible and there was no blurr and judder movements.Then today we watched the cricket action on Neocricket. Due to the foggy conditions in the Feroz shah kotla The PQ was not clear enough.Then watched the first test between Australia & Pakistan in Melbourne on Star Cricket.The MCG looks fantastic on the big screen.Can't wait to watch the Indian Team take on these aussie thugs on these big australian grounds on the big screen.The only downside is i have to watch the DTH in zoom mode because of the image retention problems.The PQ drops due to this.The Tataky logo seems to be transperent on the PV8.Is there a risk with this logo? Guys please clarfy and also tell me if i have to watch like this for 1000 hours.

Price and Dealer.

Guys i was not prepared to part with my Panny 29 CRT on exchange. So i decided to give away my mother's 12 year old Toshiba 21' CRT and move the panny CRT to her.Now she can watch the always scheming,screaming and wailing Sun TV serial charecters on a bigger and better screen.:D So after the exchange of this 21 incher the price i paid was 40K for the TV with 3 years warranty.

The dealer i got the TV is Hamsaveni Electronics,TTK Road, Alwarpet.The contact person is Mr.Sudharshan.He is a former SBI employee and he owns the shop. With my all round enquiries for various TVs the best prices were always given by this dealer.If someone else are giving better prices in Chennai then i don't know them anyway. I paid the money yesterday afternoon by 3.30 and the TV was delivered by 8.30pm to my home yesterday night.I recommend this dealer.His phone number is 24982421.

Disclaimer: Guys i don't have any commercial interest with this dealer.

I have some questions to ask the present PV8 owners but i think i will put them on hold.This already has turned out to be a big post.Thanks for your patience guys.If this post can help someone to decide on their TV i will be prtty happy.:)

I want to record my special thanks to Ram(MBR) for helping me in a big way to decide on the TV.And to all the forum guys who are always there to help each other.This forum really rocks no doubt.:clapping:

Thanks and Cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Congratulations Srikar...:yahoo:....like you already have thought....go for a Media Tank or a BDP....PV8 certainly deserves HD stuff....enjoyyyy:clapping:

And PICTURES pleasssseeee

Congrats on you purchase:clapping:

As you told all the points were already in the forum and most of the people like here Panny:)

The debate of FHD and HDR is a long one and sometime depends on our need and spending time and ofcourse viewing distance we can save big bucks...If you are not going to watch anything in Full HD then HD ready should be fine.

Will dropin sometime with my PS3 to check the PQ Quality... Hope you will not mind...

Regards

Srini

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your wishes.:)

@srini.. You are always welcome sir. It will be a pleasure.:)

cheers,
sri

Hi,

Congrats on your Plasma! It is good to see the PV8 still holding its own. That was a good price for the TV.

Regards

Congrattts!! welcome to big screen club!

For the simple reason the PV8 is a tried and trusted warhorse.Some of you guys may not think much of my decision of going with a 2008 model.But there it is.As the famous saying goes... YMMV..

sri

Any heard that - It is better to go with known devil than unknown angel!

Sri - congrats on your new acquisition!

Can you tell me any difference that you notice when watching cricket? I have always felt that watching cricket on a CRT is a far better experience than on LCDs or Plasmas owing to the motion lag - however negligible it might be. I like following the cricket ball with my eyes and have always found the experience not so nice. What are your views?

Sri,

Congratulations on your big screen TV. Nice overview too. Hope you enjoy for a number of years without trouble. About a year ago, when we purchased our big screen TV, Panasonic was also one of our prime choices, but all local stores did not get any stock of the then current models. We waited for more than one month, and then decided to buy something else. BTW, we had to buy a LCD (and not a plasma) because our living room where the TV is housed always gets a lot of natural light. In addition, I also feared that the logo of the DTH company at a fixed place in the TV may be harmful for the TV when watched for long hours.

Vortex,

I am a cricket buff. I have played the game at a decent level (opening batsman) and as you may know my son (another opening batsman, but left-handed) still pursues it seriously. In our household, cricket is watched the most. In my 37" LCD TV (with BigTV STB) the reception is very good. You can watch the ball very clearly on to the bat and then off to the boundary (if Sehwag is batting :D) without a problem. There is another CRT TV also in the household, but we like to watch games (even EPL football) on the big screen. Since we do not have any HD material, and have only a modest no. of DVDs, one huge criterion for us at the time of selecting the TV was its SD performance with cable and STB signals.

Regards.

Hi all,

@vortex - No bala i am not seeing any drop in quality while watching the cricket match.I can clearly watch the ball out of the hand of the bowler,off the bat and even in its flight to the boundary.And the stadium like MCG looks awesome on the big screen as i have mentioned earlier.Its a shame tho' that my first match on my big screen involving India got abandoned due to pitch conditions.:sad:
For the love of me i can't understand why good grounds like Chepauk are being continuously ignored while these grounds with crappy pitches get match after match:rolleyes: But i am digressing here....

@asit: May your next TV be a Panny sir:)

Any heard that - It is better to go with known devil than unknown angel![/QUOTE]

Well its true Hemant is it not?:lol:

@ Media Player owners- Guys any one of you here playing 1080p or 720p movies on the PV8 thro media players? If so can you tell me if these pictures look better than your DVDs?

Also please tell me which one is better, WD TV LIVE or Xtreamer?

Thanks and cheers
sri

Last edited:
Vortex,

I am a cricket buff. I have played the game at a decent level (opening batsman) and as you may know my son (another opening batsman, but left-handed) still pursues it seriously. In our household, cricket is watched the most. In my 37" LCD TV (with BigTV STB) the reception is very good. You can watch the ball very clearly on to the bat and then off to the boundary (if Sehwag is batting :D) without a problem. There is another CRT TV also in the household, but we like to watch games (even EPL football) on the big screen. Since we do not have any HD material, and have only a modest no. of DVDs, one huge criterion for us at the time of selecting the TV was its SD performance with cable and STB signals.

Regards.

Wow - so that brings the number of cricket passionates to three in this forum - counting Dinyaar and myself. Curiously I am also an opening batsman and bowl legspin:). Dinyaar and I have had a few absolutely riveting conversations over cricket. And I certainly would like to pick your mind on cricketing aspects. I am sure I could stand to learn more about the game I love.

Hi all,

@vortex - No bala i am not seeing any drop in quality while watching the cricket match.I can clearly watch the ball out of the hand of the bowler,off the bat and even in its flight to the boundary.And the satdium like MCG looks awesome on the big screen as i have mentioned earlier.Its a shame tho' that my first match on my big screen involving India got abandoned due to pitch conditions.:sad:
For the love of me i can't understand why good grounds like Chepauk are being continuously ignored while these grounds with crappy pitches get match after match:rolleyes: But i am digressing here....

sri

Good to know that, Sri. I, for one, have been awfully sensitive about the difference in depiction of motion (especially in sports telecasts) when it comes to LCD or Plasma TVs. Personally I felt the Plasmas much more tolerable in this respect than LCDs. But I have never really thought of getting one because just about the only program I watch on TV is cricket. And I cannot brook any compromise on that regard. One of these days maybe I can drop in and watch a game with you:).

Hi bala!

Will be a pleasure to have you home:) And murali_n and me are also planning to
have a check on your tube amp if its not a much of a bother.

cheers,
sri

Hi bala!

Will be a pleasure to have you home:) And murali_n and me are also planning to
have a check on your tube amp if its not a much of a bother.

cheers,
sri

Sure thing, Sri. Murali_n did speak to me a few days back and I invited him over as well.

Back