PV8 vs. PV80

Vj@HiFi

Downloaded a comparative spec table for both, but could not make any difference. Am I missing something?

This LGPQ60 certainly seems to be good contender. All things equal (which they are not) the power consumption alone seems significantly lower.

Downloaded a comparative spec table for both, but could not make any difference. Am I missing something?

This LGPQ60 certainly seems to be good contender. All things equal (which they are not) the power consumption alone seems significantly lower.

pv80 vis-a-vis pv8

additional HDMI slot
additional sd card slot for picture viewing (no playback of Divx and mp3 files unlike LG pQ60)
vreal engine for better PQ (none seen as per me side by side) and automatic contrast adjustment with respect to ambient light.

Addtionally

LG gives richer reds (not refined) like older generation bravia sony LCDs but a quick comparision with pv8 (side by side) with DVDs of Matrix, Spiderman, Serenity showed pv8 with more natural reds and greens, better contrast hence better colours, and deep blacks unlike LPPQ60.
LGPQ60 looks better with benzel (i prefer the staid business looks of the panny
If budget is not a constraint go for the 42 full hd LG Jazz TV - its PQ is good or better than Sony S/V series anyday with pleasing pciture and sound clarity. Although i do not prefer the LG lcds - this series is actually great and prices are aroudn 65-69k AFAIK

pv80 vis-a-vis pv8

If budget is not a constraint go for the 42 full hd LG Jazz TV - its PQ is good or better than Sony S/V series anyday with pleasing pciture and sound clarity. Although i do not prefer the LG lcds - this series is actually great and prices are aroudn 65-69k AFAIK

well i am not sure about those claims as LG lcd having a better quality then sony S/V series,but to me and number of people and review sites its the quite the opposite.

well i am not sure about those claims as LG lcd having a better quality then sony S/V series,but to me and number of people and review sites its the quite the opposite.

review sites are just for pointers. I believe my own eyes for end results - sony pics mostly (in T/V Series and W series of late tested) had too much of reds, image was highly processed and not natural as say for an Pioneer or even a Panny pv8. Even the panny LCD (the higher model L series) had better colour and clarity reproduction.

I tested quite a few TVs in the 32 LCD segment with fellow member manair - LG, Sharp, panny, Sony, Samsung etc.

The Samsung 5 series B was head to head with panasonic
Next was Sharp
Next LG
Next Samsung 5 series

LG does not actually match the others but the LG Jazz 80 is actually pretty good. It matched and dispatched the Samsung 5 series and Sony V series by quite a bang.

I think rather than go in for the pv8/pv80 it will be better to wait for the pana x10 to come out (not more than a month away, AFAIK). Or you also have the new Samsung B450 that has already launched in India. At least according to the Samsung website.

Both these models have in common with the PQ60 the following 2009 technological advancements:

1. 600hz sub-field drive (I thought it was a marketing gimmick but since all three competing brands feature this - under the same name - it must be a genuine new tech) for better rendering of fast-moving images

2. 0.001 ms response time

3. much lower power consumption (almost half as much as pv8/80 for all these 3 models)

Doesn't make much sense to go in for last year's model. Particularly when you consider that the PQ60 costs almost 15k cheaper than the model it replaces, the PG61UR!

I had noticed that Samsung LCDs screens have more reflection than a standard Sony or other makes. Has anyone else noticed this?

About PQ I think each person will have his own opinion. Otherwise no one would have bought a LG or Sharp or Panasonic, of course, budget also plays an important role.

As for me, as of today, I will NOT buy anything other than a Sony LCD.

review sites are just for pointers. I believe my own eyes for end results - sony pics mostly (in T/V Series and W series of late tested) had too much of reds, image was highly processed and not natural as say for an Pioneer or even a Panny pv8. Even the panny LCD (the higher model L series) had better colour and clarity reproduction.

I tested quite a few TVs in the 32 LCD segment with fellow member manair - LG, Sharp, panny, Sony, Samsung etc.

The Samsung 5 series B was head to head with panasonic
Next was Sharp
Next LG
Next Samsung 5 series

LG does not actually match the others but the LG Jazz 80 is actually pretty good. It matched and dispatched the Samsung 5 series and Sony V series by quite a bang.
again when looking at colors in ur own eyes he or she preferences are subjective.when u say PQ of Lg jazz 80 better or equal to sony V series any day means that it exceeds it in all parameters,which in reality it doesn't so while ur above post was specific ,the post prior to that is a bit misleading without saying the reasons.

I had noticed that Samsung LCDs screens have more reflection than a standard Sony or other makes. Has anyone else noticed this?

well samusng uses a glossy screen to help improve blacks and contrast,but unless the person using those tvs in a dark room or light conditions in such a way that it doesn't show any reflection then there is no use if the tv can even show 0.0 dc/m2 of black since due to the reflection of light u wont even notice those blacks.

Last edited:
Visited Ezone today. Panasonic Plasma PV8/PV80 not currently available. The sales guy said it will take about a week or so after placing an order. So how does this work? Once order is placed, do they actually re-order from Panasonic or get it from elsewhere? Question is, why are they not stocking these and waiting for ordering piece by piece as customers ask for it? Any idea?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back