Q!uestion about speaker grills

GeorgeO

Folks

While all my speakers are built with drivers exposed and no provision for grills, both to enjoy listening without and filter, as well as to take advantage of the fact that we dont have any small kids at home( little pests sometimes,:D) I am considering doing it for a proposed build. I am aware of grill magnets, are these available locally?

Thanks

On that note, is there any special fabric that does not muffle the sound lets the SQ retain its open quality?

--G

Noob question: Can't you just use regular magnets on the speaker cabinet and the frame of the grills? How are grill magnets different from regular circular magnets?

Noob question: Can't you just use regular magnets on the speaker cabinet and the frame of the grills? How are grill magnets different from regular circular magnets?

I believe they are regular neodymium magnets but with a smaller profile and shape, to be recessed fitted onto the front baffle and then covered by veneer.

A similar discussion was started in this forum which went onto the verge of obscenity by someone whom we all love to hate. :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: Just kidding

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/8494-grill-magnets.html

Psst.....we love you suri......where are you?? :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Can the grill magnet damage the speaker magnet if we bring it too close to the cone?

--Gobble

Folks

While all my speakers are built with drivers exposed and no provision for grills, both to enjoy listening without and filter, as well as to take advantage of the fact that we dont have any small kids at home( little pests sometimes,:D) I am considering doing it for a proposed build. I am aware of grill magnets, are these available locally?

Thanks

These magnets are available in SP road. Don't remember the shop name but it is within 100 meters from Vishal Electronics on the opposite side of the road. The shop is easy to locate as they have put some magnets on display. They have a good collection of neodymium disc magnets of various diameters. I bought the 10mm dia ones for fixing my grills.

If you are planning to embed these magnets in the front baffle and also in the grill frame, make sure they are fixed securely, they are quiet powerful and can break away from the glue bond.

Any suggestions on the grill material? I have just completed my FR floorstanders and would like to put a protective grill. Dont want any accidents:)

Any suggestions on the grill material? I have just completed my FR floorstanders and would like to put a protective grill. Dont want any accidents:)

Sorry for OT George

Gopib,
More information on DIY work and a review with pics is mandatory here on HFV:D.... start a thread in DIY section..

congratulations man

cheers!!

KVN

Last edited:

Grill fabric is available in few shops in SP road that sell speaker enclosures. Some shops in police road also stocks it. You will be lucky if you get any color other than black :)

the cloth available on sp road for grill covers is just plain pathetic. its just some 40-50 bucks per meter. my 5 year old can tear it with one hand without putting much of an effort. I had better results with a black color dupatta. Check corrson for for grill cover, they are supposed to have some cloth thats about 700pm. or just get it from PE, thats what i did.

I had a nightmare due to the magnets for the grill. I wasnt planning to veneer, it might work fine with that. It was my mistake anyway, after gluing, the magnet was just about 0.25 mm above the surface and I chose to ignore it. Result: the puttying, sanding and painting became a nightmare and its still not smooth and does not look good. Lucky for me I messed up other things in painting and hence its screwed all over so does not matter. The good thing is that its for my desktop and covered from all sides but front and back. Grill will cover the front:lol: anyway, someday i'm going to repaint these. Right now I am going thru the pain of playing shit music so that the alpairs can burn in for close to 150 hrs.:mad:

Out of the 16 magnets i fitted, 3 were loose and kept popping out of the grill frame, so either use lot of hot glue or use something else.

The protection possible with fabric grill is very minimal - especially if kids are around. There is an easy way to enhance the strength of the grill and stop small projectiles from damaging the drivers. Use a layer of good quality pvc insect screen before the fabric layer. The saint gobain brand has a thin & strong screen that doesn't affect the sound quality.

George,

I have used Fostex FE206 the newer one En. Sourced through Borderlinx.

Antony,

I am also veering around to the idea of the insect screen. Probably frame it with a thin piece of some wood and then fix it. For fixing I would probably avoid magnets and go by one of your earlier posts (I think) where you had used some plugs. Will do some more reading and then go ahead, I just do not like the idea of grill cloth/magnet/glue/wood combo they do not seem to gel...

Cheers. Gopi

the cloth available on sp road for grill covers is just plain pathetic. its just some 40-50 bucks per meter. my 5 year old can tear it with one hand without putting much of an effort. I had better results with a black color dupatta.

Best to take your Missy to her favorite dress material shop and find the most funky prints out there perhaps? :eek:hyeah: Embroidery ... with mirrors ... Lucknow Chikan ... Batik ... and what about matching Pajamas for the speaker stands? :D

--G

Gopi

I heard Anil's Fostex 208 in a BLH and it was outstanding! I have the 167E, in an MLTL design. I was sorely tempted to do one more(BLH), like his then decided to go the Scanspeak way with an MTM design instead.

Another material which can be tried is expanded metal. There was
a discussion on diyaudio sometime back and some felt it does
not affect acoustics. I have used it for my Sachikos and am happy.
It is available in different degrees of "openness", and is about
Rs 25 per sq ft.

Expanded-Metal-Mesh2.png

4096d1231809511-steel-amp-2.jpg

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back