quad 22L2 or B & W 684 speakers

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the replies ,
Their is no dealer for quad in bangalore to give me an audition, it seems designer audio has got only brokers instead of dealers.
I am thinking of visiting bombay just to audition quad with their own pre/power combo and b & w 684 with rotel amps. Hi ranjeetrain could you suggest me any other speakers where i can audition in bombay. As far as the amps are concerned i may visit US and pick up one but i am worried about their 110 volts current. please advice. How much is proac 140, quad & 684.

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the replies ,
Their is no dealer for quad in bangalore to give me an audition, it seems designer audio has got only brokers instead of dealers.
I am thinking of visiting bombay just to audition quad with their own pre/power combo and b & w 684 with rotel amps. Hi ranjeetrain could you suggest me any other speakers where i can audition in bombay. As far as the amps are concerned i may visit US and pick up one but i am worried about their 110 volts current. please advice. How much is proac 140, quad & 684.

First of all, please leave B&W 684 alone. Those are nowhere near the quality of other speakers we are talking about here.

ProAc studio are very good speaker. So are Dalis. So are Monitor Audio.

Bangalore and Mumbai are top two places for Audiophile. How I wish I were in that cities. But yeah, sort of I'll visit Bangalore sometime.

Okay seems that I started a rant of some sort. Coming back to the subject, I'll post the info where you can audition these. Or may be some fellow Mumbaikar can oblige.

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the replies ,

I bought one Amp in USA. Salesman and others there were non-committal about their working on Indian voltage. I told myself I had to risk it. I bought the amp and a voltage converter. I brought them back and plugged in praying for all being well.

My prayers were answered. The amp doesn't ever feel its not in USA ;)

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the replies ,

• Sharper Image, Mumbai
  • U-Square Electronics & Electricals, Mumbai
  • Onkyo Sight & Sound India, Mumbai
  • Sound Decisions, Mumbai
  • Travencore Balers (For ProAc)

Hi nandakumar

I am using Quad22L for the past oneyear , its very musical and best suits for Classical and easy listening . i am using it along with Pre and Power from NAD. Sounds terrific . You must audition Quad before trying any other speakers.

regards

Hi,
I was in the same boat couple of years back. Listened extensively to B&W dm 604 ( horrible sounding ? not in the same league as the others discussed here), quad 22L (pretty decent), Proac studio 125 (quite good), Dynaudio AUD 52SE ( not very good with jazz /classical) and the Acoustic portrait MS 301. I finally picked up the Acoustic portrait. I used to have a NAD amp powering these. Recently picked up an Odyssey stratos amplifier. Awesome combination and a very significant upgrade to the Nad. I have checked quite a few power amps at home (Rotel, musical fidelity,Some DIY, Nad etc..) None gave me such a significant improvement.
Keep your mind open. You will save money and enjoy more.

Hi Nandkumar,
Here is ur list for speakers in bbay:-
B&W- AVI @ 22004040
Dynaudio- The soundsmiths @ 66351888
Kef - Pro Fx @ 66608163/4
PSB - Lakozy @ 23697001/2
Totem -Innovative IT@66325010
Monitor Audio - Boomerang@26194452/9820194171
Quad-Designer Audio@ 23520320

Some of these chaps will also offer some other lesser known options. I dont know where pro acs can be got in bombay.

Regards

Hahaha dear Unleash am sure bengaluru(hope i spelt it right) is very happening for the audiophile but aamchi mumbai is not far behind!

First of all, please leave B&W 684 alone. Those are nowhere near the quality of other speakers we are talking about here.

ProAc studio are very good speaker. So are Dalis. So are Monitor Audio.

Bangalore and Mumbai are top two places for Audiophile. How I wish I were in that cities. But yeah, sort of I'll visit Bangalore sometime.

Okay seems that I started a rant of some sort. Coming back to the subject, I'll post the info where you can audition these. Or may be some fellow Mumbaikar can oblige.

HI Ranjeet,
Not that i like the 600 series B&W at all but pro ac apart why cant they be compared to the other brands like Dali, MA, Quads in the said price category?

Are u referring to ur personal musical preference or are u actually questioning the actual quality of the 684 and the others in the series or is it just a case of overpricing puts it out of reckoning?

Am just curious?

HI Ranjeet,
Not that i like the 600 series B&W at all but pro ac apart why cant they be compared to the other brands like Dali, MA, Quads in the said price category?

Are u referring to ur personal musical preference or are u actually questioning the actual quality of the 684 and the others in the series or is it just a case of overpricing puts it out of reckoning?

Am just curious?

Okay, I'll *try* to answer :)

B&W 600 series - To be honest I haven't heard the new 68x series. But I have heard old 600 series extensively and I have following to say.

B&W 600 is a disappointment of a speaker if you buy in India. DM 603 S3 INR 65k before taxes and DM 604 S3 INR 95k before taxes. They HARDLY sound THAT expensive. I contacted B&W and they sent me some info with a proprietary DVD-A to audition. I wasn't impressed. I mean the sound wasn't just right for that money. Bass was loose, midrange vague and highs unclean (I am talking relative to the money here).

That was the time when I was out hunting for a speaker of my own. I saw many that could blow the B&Ws out of water on sound/rupee basis.

If you buy B&W in UK/Europe, they are a fair deal. 700 series is better, CM very good and 800 series excellent. 600 series is an excellent VFM too, only if you buy them in UK.

Monitor Audio - MA are another VFM brand. RS6 has received a very good press around the globe. I consider them good speaker as campared to other equally priced European brand. MA speakers offer great cohesion across the range and are reasonably priced.

QUADs *were* a huge hit in the past. Their speakers, electronics all were top notch. But they are no longer among the leaders.

Dali - Dali are from Denmark (probably the country of speaker manufacturers). DynAudio, Dali, Jamo, see the line up. Denmark has a tradition of manufacturing fine-sounding speakers. If it were not for chauvinistic audio industry of UK, we would know Denish brands as world leaders in Loudspeaker industry and not UK.

Do not mistake Dali for being an entry level player. Dali starts where companies like Wharfedale end. Personally, I rate Dali as high as DynAudio. Dali spakers offer the best musicality, precise timing, best cohesion, best soundstage, sweetest treble. I can write paragraphs to describe the Dali sound. You have to hear Dalis to believe the sound. I can predict the outcome however, you'd be blown away.

So when I say leave the B&W alone, I say that based on - sound/rupee. And if you ask why is that my top preference - the answer is - its India. Hi-fi is a very expensive hobby here. Lets try to guide the askers in a direction that will give them more sound per rupee.

Hi Ranjeet,
Thanks for making the effort for the detailed reply.

Am a die hard B&W fan but have heard all the speakers u mentioned and also owned a Dyna(contour 1.3SE) at some time.
I wont get into the pricing issue but i will just mention a few speakers from the brand i like would be 704,805,803,802 in that order. Have finished with the first two and would love to own the 802 if i had the space for it.
Best Regards

Hi Ranjeet,
Thanks for making the effort for the detailed reply.

Am a die hard B&W fan but have heard all the speakers u mentioned and also owned a Dyna(contour 1.3SE) at some time.
I wont get into the pricing issue but i will just mention a few speakers from the brand i like would be 704,805,803,802 in that order. Have finished with the first two and would love to own the 802 if i had the space for it.
Best Regards

Great. So when you finally decide to *throw* your 805, please inform me. I'd be standing outside with the garbage collection truck :D

Dear Ranjit,
Haha sure buddy sure but that may take a while as the prices of real estate in bbay mean my house upgrade will take much longer than i hoped and sadly so will the speaker upgrade. I do like these speakers(and i didnt pay local retail) but they never really sparkled with amps from Nad,Rotel etc(i mean the pre/powers) so if one is opting for similar u will really have to go with better, cleaner amplification.
Best regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back