quad 22L2 or B & W 684 speakers

Hi square wave,
Have not heard the stratos extreme version. Would u know some specs?
If it is considered an upgrade from the 7 BSST to the stratos then it should be some amp!!!' as the 7 BSST is a 600 watt mono where as the extreme(at least what i read) is a 200 wpc stereo power amp!!!! at less than a quarter of the bryston price!!!!
REGARDS

Hi Dinyar,
Odyssey amps are designed with high quality parts and the design is from the ultra hi-end manufacturer called symphonic line in Germany.
Manufacturer, Hifi, High End, Duisburg, Germany
As you already know, Watts does not tell the full story. I have a friend who owns a Mark Levinson amp which is just 100watts/channel but weighs around 50kg. Price is also very subjective. You have to pay a lot for the brand value?)
The specs are here. They have a basic , a plus and an extreme version to all the stratos. The difference is the current capability. I have the plus version.
60,000uF (Std)
120,000uF (Plus)
180,000uF (Extreme)
Odyssey Audio Hong Kong - Stratos Power Amp

Dear Neo,
Ya i know of the amp being good and a real bargain. I believe the guy sells direct and hence can offer at a lower cost. Of course watts is not everything.
But even the THD figures are pretty different. The 7 BSST is a super amp. Very neutral and really robust and drives speakers like the 802(demanding speaker and can drop down to almost 2 ohms) with ease so when it was suggested that the guy is selling his pair of 7 bsst and upgrading to the stereo stratos it seems a little far fetched.

Lastly from my experience (limited as it may be) the stratos is generally compared to the Rotel RB 1080 at least in the US and u have people who are fans of both amps in the same price range.

Regards

The reason to switch amps can also be other factors other than raw power. It could be that he started to enjoy music more with the odyssey.Or he may prefer the sound of the odyssey. It could be anything. Anyway it is for sale. He listens to the vandersteen 2ce speakers.
I had once checked the odyssey khartago (smaller version of the stratos) against the rotel rb 991 and a 1080 and one MF power amp and there is absolutely NO COMPARISON The odyssey is in a different league.

If you enjoy the sound, you can go to any level with power with the stratos. There are people who use the extreme version monoblocks with very demanding speaker systems. Most sane people are quite happy with the plus or extreme version of the stratos stereo.

I have been hanging around in the audiocircle forum of odyssey audio, AA etc for a long time now and people never compare odyssey to any rotels.
Brands like odyssey , Audio by van alstine, Salk audio etc…are able to sell at very competitive rates because they avoid much middle men and do not have most of the over heads like big brands.They are ussually compared to hi-end brands.

Last edited:
Hi Square wave,
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Actually i mentioned the stratos/rotel comparison as thats what i had heard from my friends in NY. In fact one of them did mention that if i could look beyond big names the stratos would be a far better amp than most rotel and like amps but they are a low profile brand and keep costs low. If i recall both the rotel 1080 and the stratos were 1100 USD.

Actually when i had an all rotel combo i too was part of the rotel forums(club rotel-dominated by americans). But since we were all owners all that u really heard were praises about the amp being the greatest bang for the buck etc. I still feel the rotel was VFM(at least the price i acquired it at) but there are definately way better,cleaner amps out there for a little more outlay.

I respect ur view on the amp and i see u are a proud owner. Are u from Gujarat? Reason i ask is a few guys i know from ahm/surat are always raving about this amp where as i have yet to see one with any mumbai dealer

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Dinyaar,
I am in Bangalore.
I was contemplating Rotels at one point. I agree they are great value for money. They along with the Nad C272 power amp are two of the greatest budget bargains in separates now. But if one needs to go beyond, you have to look at better gear.
Inner detail, great macro/micro dynamics, iron grip in the lower frequencies, great soundstage was what I was looking for. Bryston sounds great too. The gentleman might have liked the odyssey voicing better.

I respect ur view on the amp and i see u are a proud owner. Are u from Gujarat? Reason i ask is a few guys i know from ahm/surat are always raving about this amp where as i have yet to see one with any mumbai dealer

Regards

Hey I'm aware about a lot of decent stereo set up's surat & haven't come across any body using odyssey, let me know if you know some one as i'd like to give it a hear once again.
Thanks.

Hi NEO,
Sure. There is a MR Rashmikant on this forum who was all set to buy the Nad c272 power amp and i replied to his thread. Later he called me with details of the stratos and the pricing/availability and he is in surat.
U could contact him thru this forum. He will call me soon so i will also try to put u guys in touch.
The other person who raves about this amp is from Ahmedabad and a classmate of mine who at the moment is holidaying in the US.
Regards

Hi square wave. I had a luxman 2 decades ago and later went in reverse gear and had the nad/rotel pre/powers for a while. Have sold of the lot last year and gone for the Bryston and i like it.
Of course the gentleman must have liked the stratos more i just wish i knew earlier as the new 7bsst s are priced very steeply and i have an uncle who is looking for suitable amplification for his 804 s. Having said that i dont know if 2 monster monoblocs would be their choice!

Regards

Hi All
This is my first post here. I have been meaning to introduce myself and post here for some time but never got around to it. Its great to see all this audio discussion in India and nice to see some discussion on the Odyssey products. ARN Systems in Bangalore is the authorized dealer for Odyssey products.

Just to be upfront here - even though I am not an employee of ARN, I am associated with them. We are trying to bring in products that we believe are value for money. Odyssey is just the start of a few that are in the works. I will post information on other brands as and when it gets finalised.

I was contemplating jumping in to reply to a few posts on Odyssey but square wave has already done justice in his replies and its probably good that it came from him lest people think that its conflict of interest ;). Some of you have already sent me an email for the contact address of the person selling his Bryston's. If you dont hear from him (as he travels frequently) I can follow up with him. As to why he is selling them, I dont want to speak for him but square wave did indeed hit the nail on the head in saying that watts are not everything. The difference between Odyssey and Bryston is the tonality and they are not alike. Odyssey amps are known to excel in one area - musical involvement. I understand that this is subjective and dont mean to tread on any toes but look at the many posts on audio review and audio circle and this is how people best describe it.

I also realize that in India there arent anywhere near the options that are available in the US and elsewhere. From time to time, I do get products from different vendors. If there is interest here from people we could have small demos at ARN (time and logistics permitting :)) of these products, most of which you may not have had the oppurtunity to listen to in India.

cheers
Sridhar

Welcome to the forum Sridhar.

You didn't have to wait to introduce yourself. There is a dedicated section on Introduction on here.

Thanks mate. I know the rasmikant dude. He has still not bought the amp & it seems he may upgrade his speakers b4 the amp .I guess i'll wait till then.
Regards,

Hi NEO,
Sure. There is a MR Rashmikant on this forum who was all set to buy the Nad c272 power amp and i replied to his thread. Later he called me with details of the stratos and the pricing/availability and he is in surat.
U could contact him thru this forum. He will call me soon so i will also try to put u guys in touch.
The other person who raves about this amp is from Ahmedabad and a classmate of mine who at the moment is holidaying in the US.
Regards

for what it's worth i had b&w 603 older version of 684 same thing big floor stander with 2.5 and two kevlar speakers and one aluminium one and the day i auditioned quads i sold mine setup but could not afford the quads as thier price in canada was steep to say the least... an other australian dude at avs had a similar story he sold his cdm7 series to get quads and he could not be any happier...so hope you enjoy your setup nanda ...any feedback/first impressions welcome....thanks

Hi guys,
I do not intend to change th discussion but till some time thre was a spark of debate over Dali IKON 6 and would like to know more about it.

Infact I listeneed with my untrained ear a month back and could not judge much. It was paired with a yamaha v497 stereo amp.
Hey ranjeet you own this speakers boss! How is this for movies since I'm more into that and own a Yamaha rx v663 now.

Also in one review I read this goes till 4 ohms and better suited to amps that complement that impedance. The manual for my receiver states 195rms @4 ohms, so this should be okay...?

Also which sub you're using, is it the IKON SUB?

The combintion yamaha v663 + dali IKO 6 FS + IKON SUB = good?

Awaiting inputs. Thanks for

Hi Anooj
where are you based? we are dealers for Dali Ikon 6 in Bangalore, however I personally believe one can do much better for the price. Its been my experience in the last few months that people who come in looking for a DALI end up buying an Usher (most) or MA RS6 (a couple) isntead.

cheers
Sridhar

Hi Sridhar,

I am based in Hyderabad and heard the speaker in Vector Hyderabad and was quoting mrp - 73200(asin magazines). anyways he would show a MOP as 70K(inclusing 12.5% tax). Do you think that's ona higher side ?

iyet to listem MA SR6 amd Usher:)confused:where in Hyderabad).

let me see this weekend.

regards,
Anooj

Unfortunately, no Usher in Hyd as yet, should be available in Delhi in the near future. MA, I am not sure but you can look around at the dealers there. I know there are Dali Ikon 6 fans, but personally I dont like them. In any case, hear them all and make a decision, use reviews as a guideline.
can you make a trip to BLR? you can hear much more equipment at once...:)

cheers

Hi guys,
I got an offer for an used quad 909/99 pre, power combo and and used oddessy stratos power and oddessy candela tube pre. If both the prices are more or less the same, which one should I go.
regrds,
nanda kumar

Hi guys,
I got an offer for an used quad 909/99 pre, power combo and and used oddessy stratos power and oddessy candela tube pre. If both the prices are more or less the same, which one should I go.
regrds,
nanda kumar

hi nanda though i have not heard the units here first hand but the golden rule in audiophile books is AVR...Seprates and for stereo be all end all is Tube amps... and that is why i think for your purpose and taste tube is the way to go... hope this helps thanks

Unfortunately, no Usher in Hyd as yet, should be available in Delhi in the near future. MA, I am not sure but you can look around at the dealers there. I know there are Dali Ikon 6 fans, but personally I dont like them. In any case, hear them all and make a decision, use reviews as a guideline.
can you make a trip to BLR? you can hear much more equipment at once...:)

cheers

Now guys you got Usher over threre that is really something as it is hard to find them here and only way to get them is take a leap of faith and buy them online without a looksy/aud. but then i have only heard good things about them at avsforums...enjoy.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back