Quad Vena Owners Thread

darmstadtium

Hi Fellow Audiophiles

A little introduction of myself ,i am a new FM in hifivision . I am originally from Chennai ,settled in Mumbai for last 5 years .I recently fulfilled my Teenage dream of owning a decent stereo system :yahoo:. I acquired a Quad Vena integrated amplifier from HIFIMART and thus wanted to create a ownership thread wherein other owners or interested future buyers of this amp can communicate and share their experiences

Let me kick off this thread by asking for suggestions related to speaker upgrade :)
I have paired it with Boston acoustics A26 bookshelf speaker on stands . Can any FM who owns this amp suggest me a speaker upgrade within 50k ? :rolleyes:

Thanks
Karthik

I have been trying different Inputs and gauging the sound quality.

a) APPLE Port (USB Type A)

I connected my IPAD 3 to this port using the lightning cable and found the sound to be quite pleasing .Please note that IPAD doesnt support FLAC natively .You need to either download the free FLAC player apps or the paid version which I heard is better sounding than the free versions floating around in app store . Sound stage was not great but clarity and bass were fine if not loose.

ITunes Radio through IPAD acted a bit finicky when connected through this port, I found that it stutters quite a bit sometimes when connected and other times it played perfectly fine. But it plays perfectly fine on Bluetooth.
Normal music playback was perfect though with no issues.

Verdict: Over all its perfectly fine for casual listening

b) Bluetooth

QUAD Vena supports the supposedly better Bluetooth format called APTX. I have a one plus one Phone which unfortunately doesn't support Bluetooth APTX. Any ways, I connected the quad Vena to my Bluetooth which is an extremely simple affair and once paired, it automatically pairs with my phone almost every time as long as I had the Vena on Bluetooth source mode and my phones Bluetooth is ON. Almost every time. Other times I had to manual connect the Paired amp through my phones Bluetooth menu. Not a deal breaker for me.
I found the sound quality to be almost the same as that of apple Dock port. Whatever minimal loss there was in sound quality when compared to the apple port was negated by the fact that I can control the playback lying down in my bed wirelessly.

Again I would rate the sound quality through Bluetooth to be quite good for casual listening or party times. In fact it may surpass most peoples expectation for sound through Bluetooth. I will update this when I get my hands on an APTX enabled Phone.

Verdict: Over all its perfectly fine for casual listening

c) Optical Input: Toslink

I am using an extremely basic Bandridge Optical cable 1.5 feet Bought on Amazon for 150 bucks. I connected My PS3 with my Quad Vena through the same. Playing Indian Audio CDs I found that the sound quality is definitely better when compared to Apple dock port or Bluetooth (obviously). The bass is much more defined and the sound stage improved immensely. Voices sound very sweet and overall theres a big improvement to sound definition .Playing games with good background score like Crisis series sounded amazing though the optical Input. Gunshots sounded really good and so did my grenades: P
Unfortunately I couldn't find an easy way to connect my PS3 to my Vena through line level inputs. For those who are not aware, PS3 doesnt have line level outputs. It only has a HDMI port and an optical Output. Now thinking, I find this incredibly stupid on Sonys Part.

Verdict: Over sound quality is much better than Bluetooth and apple dock port

d)Coaxial Input:

I am waiting for coaxial cable from Amazon at the time of writing this. I am planning to connect my Airtel HD DTH to the quad. Will update soon

e)USB Type B:

I had no great expectations when it came to this input type. But it surprised me, in fact shocked me. I connected my oneplus one to an OTG cable and that in turn was connected to a USB Type A to Type B cable to the Vena and I installed the USB audio Player Pro version on my Smartphone which sells for around 550 Bucks on Play store. The sound in one word is mind blowing. Mind you I am no seasoned audiophile but I found the playback to have gained immense depth, sound staging, separation and what not. My only extremely minor complaint was that the bass extension was less in this mode but it compensated by making the bass lines very tight. Over all I was blown away by the sound quality through this input and it made me listen to entire albums of chesky records binaural recordings which usually I dont do. Stereo imaging improved vastly compared to all other inputs I tried and I truly felt that this was Hi-Fi sound and not just good sound which was through the other inputs I tried
My research suggests that the USB audio Player Pro app on android app store had a major part in this over all sound improvement so I would whole heartedly recommend that app even though its a paid one

Verdict: Simply put if you have this Amp and dont have a CD player, this is the input to get your moneys worth

Last edited:
Thanks, lovely write-up. You conveyed the USP's on the product. Can I know the speakers you drive them with Vena?

--
helium

Congratulations on your purchase darm...

Very nice write up indeed and very detailed too. I will certainly give a try to that usb player pro. I have a Lenovo tab and will just plugging a mini usb OTG cable into the usb in on my stereo amp do the trick? Or will I need any additional cables in between.

As regards speaker choice, the elac uni-fi ub5 seems to be very highly regarded, and will be within your budget too.

If you are looking for excellenct sound staging and vocals, and don't mind loosing out on a little bass, you can consider the elipson planet L. The most stylish speaker I have every seen. But slightly above your budget and costs 60k.

If you are looking for a smooth and refined sound the qacoustics concept 20's come to mind.

For pace and punch the Dali zensor3 used to be the usual suggestion. But now the elac uni fi ub5 takes that crown. But music is a very personal thing, what sounds good to me might not be acceptable to you. So auditioning is the only way out. And take your amp with you to the speakers you are considering. Speaker + amp synergy = audio bliss

Same here. How is the SQ of the Quad Vena when using the inbuilt dac ? If the dac is a good one (I have a meridian explorer), i would be interested in it because it leads to a simple setup.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back