Query: Coax Digital Vs Analog connection

sonosphere

Hi,
When I was auditioning for AVR's I was told by the salesman that connecting DVD player audio output thru Coax digital cable to AVR Coax Digi input will give better sound compared to DVD Analog output to AVR Analog input.

Query:
1. Is what salesman saying actually true? (lets consider we are using the best cables for Coax and analog, so both are at par)
2. If its true, what is the reason that makes Coax option give better sound?

Thanks in advance...
Regds.

Hi,
1. Is what salesman saying actually true? (lets consider we are using the best cables for Coax and analog, so both are at par)

He is true, you will be using the digital-analog conversion of the DVDP if you are connected thru the analog mode. Where as in the coaxial route, the DVDP passes the DD/DTS signals as read from the DVD to the AVR and the AVR will do the decoding.

Both DVDP and AVRs will have DD/DTS decoding and it is better to send the raw signal to AVR and let it decode. Most often than not, AVRs will have a better DAC module compared to DVDPs.

Query:

Just my 2 cents

Yes the salesman is right.

Co-axial & optical are better used in raw mode when you want the AVR to perform the decoding operations. They are less prone to noise and interference( as explained by many experts in this forum).

Also RCA cables are not preferred for longer distance.

Experts here would add more comments.

(I somehow liked stereo thru rca connection)

Hi,
When I was auditioning for AVR's I was told by the salesman that connecting DVD player audio output thru Coax digital cable to AVR Coax Digi input will give better sound compared to DVD Analog output to AVR Analog input.

Query:

Thanks in advance...
Regds.

well I have tried and tested in most environments - all sound similar (provided its a decent DVDP like say a Pioneer 610 and a AVR such as Denon 1709, onyo 606 etc).

Well using a good DVDP like Oppo 980 (13k) or even the Pioneer 610 (8-9k) etc which has got good DACs - using the analogue connections would make mroe sense than say using a budget AVR which costs 20k say.

Better the DAC - better the sound whether it happens in the DVDP or AVR does not matter.

Optical/Coaxial i.e. digital connections make connections easier since you can use one cable for signal passthrough to the AVR directly which does the decoding instead of using 6 analogue connections for DVDP to AVR.

Please note there is a lot written over quality of coaxial over Optical - over shorter distances (used in most home setups - coaxial~optical quality. Coaxial is prone to electrical noise, optical is also prone to noise/signal breakage over short distances - but everything depends on the environment.

Over longish distances - its a question of cost - many use RCA cables over 20ft length without any problems. A 20ft optical/coaxial cable will cost less than 6 (for 5.1) analogue cables right?

So net net if you use a a 2k DVDP and a 20k receiver - let the receiver do the decoding. If you use a 10k DVDP like 610 - let the DVDP do the decoding. Simple;)

Hi S. Kumar, Susanthace, Suprateep,
your answers have resolved the query at it's root... the DAC stage.
Thanks a ton.
Regds,

By and large all the AVRs outperform the DVDPs since they are with better DACs. The only instance I've found analog to be better than digital is with my Asus STX SC where the Asus DAC performs better.

By and large all the AVRs outperform the DVDPs since they are with better DACs. The only instance I've found analog to be better than digital is with my Asus STX SC where the Asus DAC performs better.

just pulling you leg dude......so you are saying that a yamaha 363 DACV is better than oppo 983:p

just pulling you leg dude......so you are saying that a yamaha 363 DACV is better than oppo 983:p

You are correct bro!

It's just that economics do not go that way. I've friends with Onkyo 3100 and a budget Philips/Samsung DVDP. Those with the budget for an Oppo will definitely have a better AVR. In the scheme of things a DVDP or a CDP is alloted the least budget. More is spent on speakers, amp, and even wiring but not on the source itself. Some people I know swear by Monster but will use a budget DVDP instead of a dedicated CDP or a PC with a good SC.

That's what I meant, not disagreeing with you. Now we are both pulling each other's legs.

BTW how is the flu situation in Pune?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back