QUERY: Line-out to Active Subwoofer

sonosphere

Hi,
Some songs sound very good while played in "Direct Mode" thru my Onkyo 5105 AVR. However the Active subwoofer is not supplied any signal during this mode.

To get benefit of Active subwoofer I wish if there was a way to take a branch from my DVD line-out...
... pass it thru a crossover-unit sending out only low frequencies
... and feed the same to Active Subwoofer's Line-In.

QUERY:
I want to know if any crossover product like above exists, that accepts line-in signal and sends out only low freq signal(..say all freq below 120Hz), suitable for an Active subwoofer's line-in.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,
Some songs sound very good while played in "Direct Mode" thru my Onkyo 5105 AVR. However the Active subwoofer is not supplied any signal during this mode.

To get benefit of Active subwoofer I wish if there was a way to take a branch from my DVD line-out...

QUERY:
I want to know if any crossover product like above exists, that accepts line-in signal and sends out only low freq signal(..say all freq below 120Hz), suitable for an Active subwoofer's line-in.

Thanks in advance,

To make it simpler try looking for Line level input and output in your subwoofer, if it exists then you simply have to run a pair of wires from your front channel on your Onkyo to the line level input in the subwoofer and then run another pair of speaker cables from the sub line level out to the front speaker channels, after doing this please disable the subwwofer in the speaker configuration menu under the Onkyo's setup menu and then select the full range for the front speakers again in the Onkyo's setup menu. After doing the requisites now you have to adjust the crossover settings for your front channel speakers which you would do on the subwoofer rather than your amp.
Remember to disconnect any other cable runing to your subwoofer from your amp before making this setup work.
Here in the above setup we are using the crossover settings in the subwoofer and would work as you require.

Try "Stereo" mode on your Onkyo AVR, this passes on the low-freq signal to the sub also, along with the mid+highs to the front 2 speakers.

"Direct" is 2.0, whereas "Stereo" is 2.1 or 3.1 in Onkyo AVRs (center channel also is active, not sure though).

To make it simpler try looking for Line level input and output in your subwoofer, if it exists then you simply have to run a pair of wires from your front channel on your Onkyo to the .....
Here in the above setup we are using the crossover settings in the subwoofer and would work as you require.

Hi Ashish,
There is a Line-input "RCA" connector on my Active Subwoofer's backpanel, but no output terminal. Hence the routing suggested by you is not possible.

Thanks for feedback,

Try "Stereo" mode on your Onkyo AVR, this passes on the low-freq signal to the sub also, along with the mid+highs to the front 2 speakers.

"Direct" is 2.0, whereas "Stereo" is 2.1 or 3.1 in Onkyo AVRs (center channel also is active, not sure though).

Hi Skumar,
I have tried "Stereo Mode" which does include the subwoofer output, however there is minor degradation in clarity of signal, especially noticeable in good digital recordings involving plucked guitar strings.

If such crossover product doesn't exist, then I have to resort to "Stereo Mode".

Thanks,

Hi,

QUERY:

Thanks in advance,

Probably this may help you

Ahuja Sound Solutions

To make it simpler try looking for Line level input and output in your subwoofer, if it exists then you simply have to run a pair of wires from your front channel on your Onkyo to the line level input in the subwoofer and then run another pair of speaker cables from the sub line level out to the front speaker channels, after doing this please disable the subwwofer in the speaker configuration menu under the Onkyo's setup menu and then select the full range for the front speakers again in the Onkyo's setup menu. After doing the requisites now you have to adjust the crossover settings for your front channel speakers which you would do on the subwoofer rather than your amp.
Remember to disconnect any other cable runing to your subwoofer from your amp before making this setup work.
Hello Ashish,
could you please explain why do we need to run another pair of wires from sub line level out to front speaker channels. From my understanding the wire which is connected to the line level input of the sub will send all the audio signal to the sub and with the croosover adjustment in the sub it will just output the filtered signal.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Ahuja Sound Solutions

How much does it cost? I am planning to use Tapco Juice 800 PA power amp for my DIY sub. Is this kind of crossover network required? Any idea about other options like variable xover? Tapco Juice is having a sub sonic filter @ 35Hz. As far as i know it will cutoff above 35Hz, in that case how to fill the gap upto 80Hz which is set from the AVR?

Hi Skumar,
I have tried "Stereo Mode" which does include the subwoofer output, however there is minor degradation in clarity of signal, especially noticeable in good digital recordings involving plucked guitar strings.

If such crossover product doesn't exist, then I have to resort to "Stereo Mode".

I presume you tried the crossover settings on your AVR (SPeaker setup) if it exists. If not yet, try the same in conjunction with Stereo mode.

Hello Ashish,
could you please explain why do we need to run another pair of wires from sub line level out to front speaker channels. From my understanding the wire which is connected to the line level input of the sub will send all the audio signal to the sub and with the croosover adjustment in the sub it will just output the filtered signal.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

In the above mentioned case we are connecting the front speakers through the sub and not the amp in in this scenario we will be using the mannual crossover which exist in almost every sub, my point in the above case was as the Onkyo HTIB we were discussing didn't had pre outs otherwise we would have used that whereas now we are running the wires from the speaker terminals of the amp to the subwoofer left and right speaker in terminal and we would be taking the output from the sub for the speakers from the out spreaker teminal but since this guy's sub doesn't have those terminals on his sub so the entire piont of conversation is needless.
I hope the above explanation clear you about my idea.

Hello Ashish,
thanks for your reply. Let me put my question in a different way. Say we have a integreted stereo amplifier without any sub woofer pre outs and a active subwoofer like Wharfedale sw 150. Then what is the best way to connect the subwoofer to the stereo amplifier.
Thanks.

Hello Ashish,
thanks for your reply. Let me put my question in a different way. Say we have a integreted stereo amplifier without any sub woofer pre outs and a active subwoofer like Wharfedale sw 150. Then what is the best way to connect the subwoofer to the stereo amplifier.
Thanks.

In your case the above solution would work as I had Sw150 once so I know that it has speakers terminal in and out so you could work out the above route for your solution.

Ahuja Sound Solutions

Hi Jaudere,
I checked the link. I think this crossover will work for Powered output (650 watts RMS) from a power amplifier which is subsequently fed to a speaker.

In my case it the crossover needs to work with Line-out level of power, which is probably in millivolts (don't know about mini-watt applicability here)

Thanks for reference,

I presume you tried the crossover settings on your AVR (SPeaker setup) if it exists. If not yet, try the same in conjunction with Stereo mode.

Hi S. Kumar,
I have tried the crossover settings. But the aforementioned guitar sound doesn't improve.

So I believe that the crossover circuits which become active in "Stereo Mode" are degrading the signal noticeably in the top frequencies, hence the they don't sound as good as Direct Mode (in Direct Mode the AVR absolutely avoids all processing circuits like EQ, crossover etc.)

Regards,

Hi Jaudere,
I checked the link. I think this crossover will work for Powered output (650 watts RMS) from a power amplifier which is subsequently fed to a speaker.

In my case it the crossover needs to work with Line-out level of power, which is probably in millivolts (don't know about mini-watt applicability here)

Thanks for reference,

hi,

sorry but i didn't get your statement. do you mean to say you are looking for a active crossover which works before amplification? there are plenty of options but most of them have balanced XLR in. you may check nx-audio web site for example.

so what you can do is connect your DVD out to active XO (2 way with sub out.) active XO output goes into "mutlichannel analog in" of AVR. eg Mid freq connected to front in, hi freq connected to surrounds and sub connected to centre. then you connect the speaker out of AVR to respective speakers.

you can go through my thread "crossover question". cranky has given fantastic inputs in that thread

Last edited:
hi,

sorry but i didn't get your statement. do you mean to say you are looking for a active crossover which works before amplification? .....
you can go through my thread "crossover question". cranky has given fantastic inputs in that thread

Hi Jaudere,
Yes. I am looking for what you call "active crossover". Can you tell me contact details/web link where I can get this. I would prefer an active crossover where I can select crossover freqs for e.g 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz. Such selection is available in some Active Subwoofers. Since my sub from Onkyo 5105 doesn't offer this, I need the active crossover to give me this flexibility.

Thanks for feedback,

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back