Query on audio CD

vishal_k

Hi guys

I've some doubt on cheap audio cd's selling these days. my friend has bought 'delhi 6' CD @ Rs 160 and now t-series is selling that same CD @ Rs 45. so, if i buy this Rs45 cd, is there any downgrade in audio quality compared to the previous one?
Aso if anyone bought these cd's, howz the quality of the disc compared to highly priced discs..?

Thanks venkatcr, my bad luck, i've placed order of five cd's from flipkart, today is the expected delivery date, will update soon as i get delivery. but during purchase flipkart shows it as audio CD rather than mp3. also what care should i take when the courier guy come, as this is my first online purchase..?

When you go the flipkart website and sort the audio cds from lowest to highest price there are several cds starting at the price of 42. Even the Swades CD is priced at 42 which is also written on the cover as MRP.

They could be actual Audio CDs not mp3s because OP is talking about an old movie which was released in 2009.. they might have some stock left which they want to clear off so selling at lower rate...

Hi guys

I've some doubt on cheap audio cd's selling these days. my friend has bought 'delhi 6' CD @ Rs 160 and now t-series is selling that same CD @ Rs 45. so, if i buy this Rs45 cd, is there any downgrade in audio quality compared to the previous one?
Aso if anyone bought these cd's, howz the quality of the disc compared to highly priced discs..?

Since Delhi 6 is an old album, they would be selling it at Rs. 45. At the time of launch of the album the price would be obviously high.
They would have already got the profit for this album by now and whatever they can earn is extra, hence selling it at low price.:)

I don't think there will be any downgrade in audio quality, unless it is converted from MP3. If T-Series holds the original rights for this album it should be original.

I guess catch is the popularity of music and the artist.. People still buy albums from Kishore Kumar and Modh Rafi but Delhi 6.. I doubt :)

But from what I gathered from the pics was that this is not discounted price but the printed MRP. Search for the Swades album you will see the MRP of 42 printed on the cover. So whats the catch ?

@ vishal_k Have you received the CDs yet ?

I guess catch is the popularity of music and the artist.. People still buy albums from Kishore Kumar and Modh Rafi but Delhi 6.. I doubt :)

I buy Kishore Kumar and Mohd. Rafi between 100-200, so I am very suspicious about this. There is a catch somewhere.

Cheers

Kishore Kumar and Mohd. Rafi CDs are usually collections of their good/rare/best songs, they would be difficult to procure if they are rare, a search in google might not give you enough results.
But with reg to albums like Delhi 6, you can even get FLAC's of them now from internet , so from manufacturer's perspective, they will try to yield the most out of it. One of the ways is to sell good number of them by quoting low MRP's as the production cost of CDs have come down like anything now.

Kishore Kumar and Mohd. Rafi weight in gold, no matter whats the price, there were, are and will be thousands of listeners to buy

I give a few example from my past experience

there many T-series CDs in the range 42/- to 60/-
Dance Dance, Qyamat Se Qayamat Tak, Tezab, Mr. India, Commano, Waris, Aitbaar, Sadak, Aashiqui,DIl hai ki Manta Nahin.....(list goes long) - surprisingly all of them are DDD and sounds fabulous, don't believe me, just compare them with the Vinyls and you will understand the fidelity, I myself have found hardly any OST before 1990 to be in DDD, and I have all these LPs and CDs, in SQ my vinyl FLACs have defeated majority of Universal and HMV CDs, but these CDs are hard to beat as they sound so clear and balanced

I have plenty of Regional original CDs which are less than 50/- and they are way way superior to Saregama's over processed OSTs @ 120/-, I strongly feel its wise and better to buy CDs when it comes to OSTs that are being released as "digitally processed vinyls" at 799/-

so price of the CD shouldn't be a deciding factor, I assure you Saregama's CDs and Mp3 CDs don't sound too different as both of them have lost the fidelity during the transfer, all my observations are for OSTs before late eighties when Kishore Kumar died

my 2 cents only

Arnab

i dont find the ACD prices for indian film music in the INR 40-60 range too low, especially for older movies. Considering the fact that base manufacturing cost for the CD and cover with literature itself is not more than INR 5/- (!) (may be even less, this info is from a insider source). add to that the royalty which indian music producers command, which is much lower as compared to international artists, INR 40-50 is a reasonable price. Infact I find prices anywhere upwards of INR 100 for hindi film and pop music, to be rip off, i.e. cashing in on the success.!- Quality of recording might vary, but dont think that has a very big effect on the price...

I have plenty of Regional original CDs which are less than 50/- and they are way way superior to Saregama's over processed OSTs @ 120/-, I strongly feel its wise and better to buy CDs when it comes to OSTs that are being released as "digitally processed vinyls" at 799/-

so price of the CD shouldn't be a deciding factor, I assure you Saregama's CDs and Mp3 CDs don't sound too different as both of them have lost the fidelity during the transfer, all my observations are for OSTs before late eighties when Kishore Kumar died

my 2 cents only

Arnab

@akd
Noob question :eek: - what is OST?

I have found that, in general, a lot of CDs made in India are of questionable quality, regardless of price. I have numerous Carnatic music CDs that cannot be played or ripped by programs such as EAC. Most of these CDs are Rs. 150-200 and since they have no visible defects, cannot be easily returned. My most recent experience was with a CD by Indian Ocean which cost upward of Rs. 300 but wouldn't play at all. So, don't worry if a CD costs only Rs. 45 since it may be just as good (or even better) than a CD that costs several times more.

just to update, received all the 5 CD's in excellent condition and they all are original factory sealed audio cd's. listened each and every cd and SQ wise they are excellent as i can't distinguish its sound with 200Rs CD as i am using 12yr old sony audio system (MHC-GX2000) and it sounds same with all CD's.
Thanks to all of you guy's and i really appreciate your help...

JFI, these Rs42 & Rs45 tags are pasted over actual MRP(Rs 160) of the cd's. as in the pics, it is clearly visible that the actual MRP of 'Lakeer' is Rs 135.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back