Query regarding AV shelf for receiver and speaker arrangement

kromastorm

Hi All,
I recently bought Denon X1600H and Polk Audio T series speakers (T50 tower, T15 bookshelf, T30 center and PSW 10 Sub). I have setup the whole system but having issue with positioning them as my living room has very limited space.

Let me describe my current system arrangement. I have a TV cabinet with dimension (50 x 18 x 16 ) in inch. It hold my 49 inch TV unit and now just about accommodating my receiver. I have kept the T50 towers behind this cabinet and the T15 book shelf on top of the tower for now, the center speaker is kept in front of the cabinet on floor, though its positioning is very bad. The subwoofer is placed between the cabinet and the wall. Due to space crunch, I have also kept my UPS behind the TV for short term arrangement.

When I was purchasing the TV cabinet, I was perhaps too short sighted to think about provisions for a receiver and speakers in future, now that decision feels like a blunder :(.

To resolve this issue, I need some arrangement to clean up the space around the TV cabinet by removing the receiver, subwoofer and center speaker. I was looking online for some idea to click but so far not found anything concrete. I did come across some ideas that look worth exploring, like FITUEYES, and SANUS, unfortunately these are not available currently. I am new to all this things and have no clue as to what would a good AV shelf look like.

Would like to get advice from knowledgeable members in finding a feasible solution for this. As I live in a rented place, my budget is limited to Rs 10K. Please let me know if it would be a feasible option in this budget.

Thanks in advance.

In my humble opinion most dedicated ‘AV-Racks’ will be higher than your budget. Sadly the situation right now is pretty bad, but your best bet might be to get something made by a local carpenter as per your specs. In case that is not an option and you are strictly limited by your budget -

Check this Ikea bench - https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/brimnes-tv-bench-black-30337699/

**You can also modify your search to perhaps look for “tv trolley” or “entertainment unit” on amazon. I believe there should be enough options in your price range.

Best of luck - hope you find something you like!

Thanks for the reponse. I will check it out. Due to lockdown situation in bangalore, and the pandemic still going on, I am unable to check this stuff at nearby carpenter shops. will checkout the online option you suggested.

Hi All,
I recently bought Denon X1600H and Polk Audio T series speakers (T50 tower, T15 bookshelf, T30 center and PSW 10 Sub). I have setup the whole system but having issue with positioning them as my living room has very limited space.

Let me describe my current system arrangement. I have a TV cabinet with dimension (50 x 18 x 16 ) in inch. It hold my 49 inch TV unit and now just about accommodating my receiver. I have kept the T50 towers behind this cabinet and the T15 book shelf on top of the tower for now, the center speaker is kept in front of the cabinet on floor, though its positioning is very bad. The subwoofer is placed between the cabinet and the wall. Due to space crunch, I have also kept my UPS behind the TV for short term arrangement.

When I was purchasing the TV cabinet, I was perhaps too short sighted to think about provisions for a receiver and speakers in future, now that decision feels like a blunder :(.

To resolve this issue, I need some arrangement to clean up the space around the TV cabinet by removing the receiver, subwoofer and center speaker. I was looking online for some idea to click but so far not found anything concrete. I did come across some ideas that look worth exploring, like FITUEYES, and SANUS, unfortunately these are not available currently. I am new to all this things and have no clue as to what would a good AV shelf look like.

Would like to get advice from knowledgeable members in finding a feasible solution for this. As I live in a rented place, my budget is limited to Rs 10K. Please let me know if it would be a feasible option in this budget.

Thanks in advance.

Can you able to share some pictures taken from corners and the layout(with dimensions) of the room, so you may get some better or alternate solutions from FMs to reduce the room clutter and improve listening experience.

Last edited:
Here is the current speaker positioning. I have moved the center channel from front of TV cabinet to above subwoofer as I had to constantly reshuffle its position when listening to something and when using TV audio.

The width of the hall is 14 Feet, length is 25 feet. Please let me know if any more details are needed on this.

PositionQuery - 1.JPG

At first look, a lot of things look wrong about that arrangement and not just the cabinet. The system should ideally be as much towards the centre of the wall and not in one corner. Given that the room’s breadth is 14’, it’s possible to get enough space around the speakers on both sides but not at this wall, because of the door. Can you shift it to the opposite wall? If not, even the longer wall (though not ideal) if it allows placing the system in the center. If possible, post a pic of the entire room for specific suggestions.

Secondly, the T15 are surround speakers. Why are you keeping them in front, ahead of the towers? Is that recommended by Polk, or what you saw at the dealer’s demo room? Ideally they should be placed at the left and right of your listening position (sofa/chair whatever).

One has more latitude in placing a sub, so you needn’t cram it in the limited space around the system.

When you decide on the audio shelf, give proper consideration to the height. It should be such that the two-third height of the TV (where typically you see faces of the actors) should be at eye-level with you in your sitting position for most comfortable viewing. So don’t go for too high a shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a far from ideal placement of the setup.
Yes, a speaker on either side of the door would be much better.
Surrounds kept in front will just muddle up the sound.
If you cannot fix them either side of or behind the listener, it would be better to not have them.

That said, can you have a different location?
Please give room layout (including doors and windows) or zoomed out pics to give the room layout.

Here is the current speaker positioning. I have moved the center channel from front of TV cabinet to above subwoofer as I had to constantly reshuffle its position when listening to something and when using TV audio.

The width of the hall is 14 Feet, length is 25 feet. Please let me know if any more details are needed on this.

View attachment 57799
As others have commented this placement is very bad.If you do not have any objection in drilling you can wall mount the tv and get a rack similar to the one in the image.You can also install f brackets and a glass mount for center channel. Towers in corner and sub in between the towers. Surround speakers you need to install behind your seating position.

Attachments

• C0A568B7-2020-42B1-B752-09A3F140912E.jpeg
    C0A568B7-2020-42B1-B752-09A3F140912E.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 49
Actually, I bought the whole system during lockdown. I am yet to call ProFX team for speaker setup, for now they had asked me to use 2.1 configuration during lockdown. But I just couldn't wait for this lockdown to end, hence I just connected the speakers and arranged them is as simple manner as I could think of.
The hall is connected though all other rooms, so there is not much space available to move this system to. The other end of the hall has the dining table and a small temple, which does not leave any space for this system to move around there. The only location I could possible move the receiver is around or in place of the sofa to the right side of TV. Hence my though of using a budget AV rack which could possibly help me move the receiver and center channel speaker. As suggested above, I can move the subwoofer somewhere else as well as the rear channel speaker ( though I am waiting for the ProFX team to help me with the rear speakers).

Drilling would not be possible, as this is a rented place and owner is very hesitant with any such changes.

Speaker Position.JPG

Adding a mock up design of the hall. The measurements are in cms.

Going through the photo and the hall layout I feel it would difficult to find ideal place for positioning the TV, Audio Units, Speakers then offcourse sitting arrangement. The opening around all the walls is a fashion of olden days in a compact space of living room.

The architect designed this layout assumes corner placement of old type CRT TV, which meets the need of olden days.

Whatever the way you arrange against the current wall (Main door side), still you have issue in seating arrangement and you can’t view TV from 45 degree angle for long time. Also, you will be missing the sweet spot and surround effects.

A blessing in disguise is, you have a lengthy room.
You can make partition using a partition cabinet (attached some reference images below) separating the Dining space from Living Space. With that:
  • You can have half height cabinet if you need view of sides, better lighting and ventilation. Backside of the Cabinet can be used for shelving crockery and other small stuffs. You can make it as simple as possible keeping in view the economics. Make it modular fitting, easy to disassemble, when you move to another house.
  • You can keep around 3 feet gap between Main door wall and back of the main sofa, which gives breathing space for rear speakers.
  • You can position rear speakers either on Main door wall, facing partition cabinet or facing each other on opposite walls, whichever give optimum sound experience. Sub can be kept at inner the side of Single sofa.
  • Dining table can be kept vertically or horizontally considering the convenience of seating and approach to pooja place.
  • Partition and Tower speakers can be placed at convenient place considering the movements and hassle free approach to surrounding doors.
Speaker Position2.jpg111.jpg222.jpg333.jpg444.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I would explore this option as well. The first reference image you have posted, it looks feasible. What do we call such a furniture, the other ones are high wall cabinets I believe, which is not suitable for a rented place.

I will try experiment with the subwoofer positioning for now. For rear speaker, will wait some more for lockdown to end and will call ProFX team for some help on that.
If I find some furniture similar to what you have suggested, I will go ahead with your suggested arrangements.

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I would explore this option as well. The first reference image you have posted, it looks feasible. What do we call such a furniture, the other ones are high wall cabinets I believe, which is not suitable for a rented place.

I will try experiment with the subwoofer positioning for now. For rear speaker, will wait some more for lockdown to end and will call ProFX team for some help on that.
If I find some furniture similar to what you have suggested, I will go ahead with your suggested arrangements.
If you search for 'partition cabinets' online, you will find flimsy design and expensive.
You need not to buy any new cabinet. *You can use the existing cabinet itself. You need to go for adding a Plywood for backside, extend with a cube, with exact height and depth, but total width of the cabinet can be maintained equal to that of main door wall (to have uniformity, i mean leaving a passage to Dining hall equal to that of Main door).
Fix a 1" thick strong plywood at the back, from bottom, with the height up to your TV, with strong bracing (I will suggest about how to make such fitment to manage the balance and weight, in case you go this way) and finish with laminate similar to main cabinet.
Speaker Position4.jpg

That would be enough for time being and economical and serve the need. If you are able to manage more expenditure, you can go for adding a 6" depth narrow shelves backside, facing dining hall, which can be used for crockery storage and increases the standing strength of overall unit (May be equal height of front cabinet or little above or up to full height, as you wish).
Speaker Position3.jpg
If you want to buy a new cabinet then look for some thing like this (Hope not necessary).
A regular cabinet with the width 60" - 72", height 20"- 24" inches, depth 18"x 20" + DIY way of adding plywood sheet at back. etc... You can also ask the cabinet supplier, if he can make this customization. I have shared few links of such readymade cabinets below.

Last edited:
IMHO
In Bangalore we get plenty of pinewood (Locally called Deal wood). This looks very good and price also very economical. You can catch a carpenter and go for a customized one. Also instead of a single rack you may plan for smaller units for different items.

Back