Query related to Ripole woofer setup

I have a home-theatre to feel 20Hz, so to say.

The ratio of performance versus costs reduces quite bit in what you are suggesting. You know, from start my intention is to put least possible money to get best possible sound quality. Ripole make one step ahead in that direction for me. It is quite apt bang for buck design for me.
If you see top view, difference between Ripole and H is the pressure chamber port. And that port infact increases Fs of drivers with the loss of SPL. I am okay with it. All designs are one or the other a set of compromises.

I do not think 20 Hz of sound produced by a Tabla can be felt. But, I can feel such low frequencies coming out of kick drum. Air volume handled by the drum is quite more.

OB uses walls to create 3D image.

Actually, we both should listen together while discussing, then only it will be cleared. I know Ripole is good but you can not realize it unless you hear it. Just like the way you once were convinced that 6 to 8 inch high Xmax drivers are the best for low frequencies and I followed bigger dia paper cone drivers with quite low Xmax for the same purpose, I am again saying, as you now liked OB, listen to Ripole some day.

I have branded cabinet speakers, branded subwoofer, home made MLTL speakers and OBs. Mine and friends (who listen in my home) opinion is that, for music, Ripole performs quite good. So, the opinion is coming post listening to various systems one after the other on the same day. Requesting thus to listen a Ripole and then make your opinion. A design data, statistics, parameters and net opinions are not the ultimate thing. So many variables are there to change final listening experience, that it is too useless to come to any conclusion without a personal audition.

Having two driver per cabinet for Ripole design is to increase SPL. One should do it only when the rest of the system has SPL very near to those Ripole drivers.
In my case the difference is nearly 9, so I am fine with it. If I have to use Ahuja 12 FRX, I have to go for two drivers per cabinet. And then I would have gone for R907 design (my original starting point for coming to DIY).

Ripole has a big disadvantage of cabinet resonance. That should be taken care.

When I see frequency responses in Foobar and check whether they match with actual output (ofcourse by my ear only), I see that lower frequency till 30 Hz are quite loud yet well defined and controlled.

Good thing of Ripole is quick dissipation of sound. That is another advantage I got while changing the cabinet.

Edit: Added 6th paragraph.

Last edited:
and almost nobody can hear anything at 20hz. that frequency range is supposed to be felt. only the one who have 'felt' it would understand....for others ignorance is bliss! i belive strongly that if during recording there is music content at 20hz then reproducing and hearing/feeling it will complete the quest for audiophile music and tremendous fun of listening to music. you can appreciate Zakir's true geniousness when you hear the lower octaves that his beats produce.....ofcourse achieving that is the true challenge. so pls dont limit yourself to 40hz! it is possible to reach 20hz and try to do that. meanwhile keep enjoying the music....

Actually almost all of us hear 20Hz at young age.
Feeling a sound is not hearing. Although both happens due to difference in air pressure. This ignorance to me is not a bliss! At home I would like to hear than feel music. At a Rock concert, one would like to feel a thump chesting feel of sounds, that's cool.
Which instruments are there which play near 20Hz, quite less. Striving to achieve that for a cost need to be practically checked.

I know what few percentages of sound of any music I am missing by not hearing till 20Hz. There is no ignorance there in taking this decision in designing a speaker.
But without listening a speaker with a different (unheard yet) design concept yet considering that as unworthy is unwise IMO.

Well. As I said you won't understand what you are missing until you actually hear or feel it for yourself. My point is simple. A simple sealed sub would offer better performance price ratio than any other types.... And gives opportunity to reach as low as 20hz. Multiple sealed subs will beat everything to dust. I am also sure rather than dipole bass it's the mid bass to high frequency that decides that 'spaciousness' and room filling 'openness'. Dipole etc are only there for handling room modes better.

Dear Soundnovice, I take your opinion and others as opinions.
I thank you all for your opinions.

I think this is the first Ripole here in HFV (at least).

I am not good at describing qualitative evaluation of a seaker like I read in Six moons, here and other sites. I would have been comfortable in giving a quanitative rating.
I will try to do that as I listen, experiment with it more and more.

Post three months of listening, qualitatively speaking, I am very happy with the performance of the Ahuja driver and Ripole cabinet combination.

It efficiently lowers Fs of the Ahuja driver enabling it to make wonderful lows.
Big difference in SPL between Philips HiQ and the woofer worked in tune with reducing efficiency of the woofer due to Ripole cabinet.

Bass has a blank, dark background. It has sonic presence, represents different characters of percussion with accuracy. It has feel of lows too but not too much of chest thumping kind, which makes me even happier.

Attached below are my drawings for design and fabrication of Open baffle design with Ripole bass section which others can use or refer to.

I do not see purpose of holding a design information with me only, hence it is for all and any to use and make one.

I will be immensely happy if this design works for others too.

I myself am quite happy with the process of DIY and the result that came out of this design.

This design had two goals in addition to getting all the benefits of open baffle design, ie;

a) Lowering Fs, resonating frequency of bass driver
b) Compact and visually respectful design

was wondering if there any simulator software for ripole / dipole designs. By that way it will be able to simulate all possibilities before you go for the build? Usually box simulators are available for sealed, vented, 4th/ 6th order bandpass speakers etc.

There used to be a TL box simulator available from Martin King earlier (mathcad based). This simulator helps to model the TL box and provides FR, impedance, phase based on input parameters like line length, cross-section areas, stuffing based on driver TS parameters.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back