Question about source for deal wood/pinewood

Actually, having purchased timber and visited a few lumber yards around Bangalore, I have been told that timber comes from Assam, Burma, Bhutan and as far away as Australia.

BTC = Burma Teak. Mostly imported by traders in Kolkata (who have control over the trade), then distributed all over India.

Aside: there was a lady called Shernaz Dinshaw in Mumbai (used to be a radio jockey for Radio Midday, no less!) who carved potty seats from BTC and sold them under the trade name "Bumma Teak".

I think Assam must also have teak wood since climate is tropical. Bhutanese plywood ought to be pine or softer woods.

I forget the name of the tree that is from AU, but the logs are available locally.

Australian Jarra/jarrah/jara is famous.

I am looking for the wood which is ubiquitous in US. One of the many uses is in fences in US. I am not sure what it is, Cedar or Pine. It looks like the one in the pic below. What wood is it? And how much would it cost here?

stock-photo-close-up-of-panels-in-a-pine-wood-fence-5022766.jpg

This is used in packing cases and called dealwood or pinewood available here in Bangalore quite cheap-sold by weight as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Australian Jarra/jarrah/jara is famous.

Thats right! You got it , thats the name I heard.

Every major brand (kitply, Century etc) has Marine Grade ply. You have to
look around. The better brands put all the specs and also the
wood (Gurjan, Keuring, Poplar, Eucalyptus etc) which goes into it, as well IS-710 certification.
Number of layers (ply/piles) is very important for audio. 19mm marine grade typically
have 13 ply. More is better.

So all IS710 certified boards can be assumed to be void free?

--G

If you are looking for Mahogany wood, small logs (~2'), let me know, you can take it.
I need like 4 pieces each approximately 2 feet long, 3 inches wide and 0.5 inch thick. I like the looks of this wood, its lightness and softness. Hence I was behind this wood. I am not sure how to get it from you though....I mean from Cochin to Pune. :(

This is used in packing cases and called dealwood or pinewood available here in Bangalore quite cheap-sold by weight as I mentioned in an earlier post.
What kind of packing? The ones I see around are some horrible wood. Like the ones used for packing mangoes/fruits. Anyone can easily break them with hands. I think it is mango wood.

What kind of packing? The ones I see around are some horrible wood. Like the ones used for packing mangoes/fruits. Anyone can easily break them with hands. I think it is mango wood.

Dont even attempt to break mango tree wood with your hands, your hand will break, its really hard and being used widely.

Does someone know a good source of pinewood in Pune? I think an AV rack made of pinewood would look good, especially if stained properly.

rakhee aluminium from hosur is supposed to have it. their mobile doesnt work, LL is 04344-242173. It gives too much of noise, other number on the web is the residence number!!
I have dropped them a mail asking for BB. lets see what they say

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back