Question about source for deal wood/pinewood

GeorgeO

I need some of this can anyone point me to a source in Bangalore? Width is 11-12 inches, thickness about 3/4 inch and length about 1 1/2 and 3 feet.

This is usually sold as waste from crates/cartons of stuff that is shipped from overseas

Thanks

Yes for the baffle. I saw rubber wood yesterday at the timber market, but the sheet has a lot of small pieces so the grain is not uniform.Since this is for cosmetics only

I know a deadwood dealer but that's on Mysore road. He buys and re-sells packaging crates and other similar stuff. Not sure if you are OK with travelling this far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is usually sold as waste from crates/cartons of stuff that is shipped from overseas

Thanks

Are you planning to use it for the baffle? Those are soft wood, an alternative to that is rubwood.

Apart from that, normally these wood are with high Moisture content - Shrinkage,swelling wrapping could be an issue if not seasoned.

Apart from that, normally these wood are with high Moisture content - Shrinkage,swelling wrapping could be an issue if not seasoned.
....and holes as well, but they have beautiful grains and look fab when polished. Commonly used in wood-panelling and off-late in gates.

George, I hope these will be used in addition to an MDF/Plywood baffle - more from a cosmetic standpoint? I don't think they can hold the drivers firmly on their own.

I have been told of a source on Bannerghatta Rd near IBM, will go there tomorrow and see what's available.
If you are willing to go that far, I can take you to this chap on Mysore Road.

Found a source today (on Bannerghatta Road just after the IBM office) and bought my pine wood and got it planed there. I also found a CNC router shop that does woodwork , plan to take the wood there tomorrow and get the baffles cut. If it is done well I will recommend him and give details.

The pinewood is sold at around 35/kg for plank width above 10 inches, and 30/kg for narrower planks. It looks a bit grimy, but once it is planed looks much better.

You mean BB plywood or BB? If BB plywood, I asked a friend who is in the plywood business, he said it wasnt available in India.

Yeah I meant BB plywood, I got the same reply from someone who is also in the business.

Someone else mentioned you might get it in Delhi, but did not say where, at very high rates.

Alternatively import it yourself if you can manage it, none of the options seem to be viable so far. Thanks for the reply.

On the topic of wood, does anyone know where to source Baltic Birch?

Decadent_Spectre said:
Someone else mentioned you might get it in Delhi, but did not say where, at very high rates.
Hi DS,
Many of us have tried looking for Baltic Birch in India but in vain. If you find it anywhere in India, please share. Even at high rates, it will be simpler to buy from India than import.

It may not be an exact substitute, but void free Marine grade plywood (IS-710:1976
standard) has been used by folks here. I used 19mm IS-710 Marine ply
for my Sachiko build.

Yes, marine ply is the best available option.

You have to understand that Baltic Birch veneer is not available here-what we have mostly available is local or East Asian varieties of timber. Shipping logs of timber is not feasible from distant locations since this is lower value that the finished product-e.g New Zealand MDF. These logs are peeled for the veneer used to make commercial plywood. In addition the urea/phenol formaldehyde resin that is used for bonding the layers also plays a part in the quality of the final product, as does the quality of pressing/ heat application(void free)

It may not be an exact substitute, but void free Marine grade plywood (IS-710:1976
standard) has been used by folks here. I used 19mm IS-710 Marine ply
for my Sachiko build.

What brand do I go around asking for in the market?

Yes, marine ply is the best available option.

You have to understand that Baltic Birch veneer is not available here-what we have mostly available is local or East Asian varieties of timber. Shipping logs of timber is not feasible from distant locations since this is lower value that the finished product-e.g New Zealand MDF. These logs are peeled for the veneer used to make commercial plywood. In addition the urea/phenol formaldehyde resin that is used for bonding the layers also plays a part in the quality of the final product, as does the quality of pressing/ heat application(void free)

Actually, having purchased timber and visited a few lumber yards around Bangalore, I have been told that timber comes from Assam, Burma, Bhutan and as far away as Australia. I forget the name of the tree that is from AU, but the logs are available locally.

--G

If you are still interested in Scrap wood as it was mentioned in first few post then you can come down to Whitefield in Bangalore. Near my home there is scrap dealer and I saw 2 truck loads of packing wood offloaded 2 days back. It is still lying there and you can get these woods at throwaway price.

You can get there if you want so.

What brand do I go around asking for in the market?

--G

Every major brand (kitply, Century etc) has Marine Grade ply. You have to
look around. The better brands put all the specs and also the
wood (Gurjan, Keuring, Poplar, Eucalyptus etc) which goes into it, as well IS-710 certification.
Number of layers (ply/piles) is very important for audio. 19mm marine grade typically
have 13 ply. More is better.

For ex -

Marine Plywood | CENTURYPLY

I have also heard about Defence/Air Force packages from eastern/Russian
bloc being packed in Baltic Birch.
Maybe you can try the scrap dealers, or tap any contacts inside Yelahanka.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back