Question on Pioneer BDP 180 DAC

sumit_4palz

I have been using Pioneer BDP 180 for a while. Playing an Audio CD gives me a fantastic sound no doubt about.

However when I give Flac file as input using USB the quality is not that great. Makes me feel USB music doesn't take DAC route. Is that the correct understanding?

Set up : My BDP 180 is connected with Yamaha RXV 473 and Wharfedale tower speakers.

Have you connected the bdp-180 to rx-v473 via HDMI? In this case DAC of rx-v473 will be used.

If you have connected the analog RCA out of bdp-180 to rx-v473, the built-in DAC of bdp-160 will be used. So USB playback also uses the DAC in BDP.

I have been using Pioneer BDP 180 for a while. Playing an Audio CD gives me a fantastic sound no doubt about.

However when I give Flac file as input using USB the quality is not that great. Makes me feel USB music doesn't take DAC route. Is that the correct understanding?

Set up : My BDP 180 is connected with Yamaha RXV 473 and Wharfedale tower speakers.

How have you connected the BDP to AVR? Through analogue out or digital out? Try switching between the DAC of BDP and DAC of AVR. Maybe one of them will give a better sound.

Have you connected the bdp-180 to rx-v473 via HDMI? In this case DAC of rx-v473 will be used.

If you have connected the analog RCA out of bdp-180 to rx-v473, the built-in DAC of bdp-160 will be used. So USB playback also uses the DAC in BDP.

Sorry forgot to mention. Its connected via HDMI.

How have you connected the BDP to AVR? Through analogue out or digital out? Try switching between the DAC of BDP and DAC of AVR. Maybe one of them will give a better sound.

How have you connected the BDP to AVR?
> Yes

Through analogue out or digital out?
>HDMI Cable

Try switching between the DAC of BDP and DAC of AVR. Maybe one of them will give a better sound
>Will try that

Hi

Sometimes the quality of HDMI cables matter, also the pairing of 2 brands....I use Monster 700D cables to hook up the Pioneer BDP LX 55 to my Marantz NR series AVR.....sound is awesome on Direct or Pure Direct Mode. Normal Stereo mode is terrific.

How have you connected the BDP to AVR?
> Yes

Through analogue out or digital out?
>HDMI Cable

Try switching between the DAC of BDP and DAC of AVR. Maybe one of them will give a better sound
>Will try that

Since you have connected through HDMI the DAC in BDP-160 is not getting used in the chain. It is digital bitstream going to the AVR and the D-to-A conversion happens in AVR.

Since you have connected through HDMI the DAC in BDP-160 is not getting used in the chain. It is digital bitstream going to the AVR and the D-to-A conversion happens in AVR.
Exactly, that's what I thought. D to A is getting done by AVR. This is sad, if an Audio CD can be D to A converted why not USB ?

Dont you think its a product issue?

Exactly, that's what I thought. D to A is getting done by AVR. This is sad, if an Audio CD can be D to A converted why not USB ?

Dont you think its a product issue?
Not sure what you mean. If you set the BD player to output PCM instead of bitstream/pass through ,the D/A conversion will take place within the Bluray player. Bitstream will be needed when using 5.1 or more channels(Dolby,DTS etc.) for true surround sound. But if you intend to use stereo only, and prefer the BD Player decoding switch it to PCM and you are done.

Not sure what you mean. If you set the BD player to output PCM instead of bitstream/pass through ,the D/A conversion will take place within the Bluray player.
That's wrong.When you say DA conversion,then it had to be analog out and not digital.lt's internal decoding and not use of Bdp DAC.

Now some reasons why CD sounds better can be-

1.Transport system- USB receiver chip within bdp may not be the best.May CD transport better than that of usb.That's why some dacs purposely mention their usb receiver chip for better read.

2.May be poorly ripped FLACs.The codec settings,bitrate etc.

Ok, maybe I am confused. i have a cheap LG BD player 450, in the settings if i switch to PCM hdmi output, The Yamaha Rxv477 displays PCM and switches to stereo output. If i switch HDMI output to pass through,It displays DTS/Dolby digital etc. and switches to 5.1 mode.
Unless you are saying that BD players DAC output is restricted to analog output only.Than I may be wrong.

Yes,DAC is digital to analog converter.So the output will be via RCA(Red and white color connectors).
HDMI out is digital.lf Lg bdp has decoders within,then you should get 5.1 pcm out via hdmi out.
Make sure that any downmix setting is disabled.

Yes,DAC is digital to analog converter.So the output will be via RCA(Red and white color connectors).
HDMI out is digital.lf Lg bdp has decoders within,then you should get 5.1 pcm out via hdmi out.
Make sure that any downmix setting is disabled.
Thanks. I will try that and see.

Not sure what you mean. If you set the BD player to output PCM instead of bitstream/pass through ,the D/A conversion will take place within the Bluray player. Bitstream will be needed when using 5.1 or more channels(Dolby,DTS etc.) for true surround sound. But if you intend to use stereo only, and prefer the BD Player decoding switch it to PCM and you are done.

By default Bluray player is set to output PCM.

z1EdmE8.jpg
So i tried a few things. here's the menu of the BD player menu.
http://i.imgur.com/z1EdmE8.jpg
So if i switch to either PCM or PCM multi ch mode, the Yamaha receiver displays PCM and not DTS or Dolby Digital.i popped in Neerja Bluray disc which has both DTS and Dolby encoding. But switching to Primary pass-thru it displays the selected codec correctly. I use straight mode in yamaha and it displays 5 speakers if in Primary pass-thru mode. 2 if PCM multi-ch. Also the pass through mode is much louder in volume compared to the PCM mode. Is this how it's supposed to work?

That's wrong.When you say DA conversion,then it had to be analog out and not digital.lt's internal decoding and not use of Bdp DAC.

Now some reasons why CD sounds better can be-

1.Transport system- USB receiver chip within bdp may not be the best.May CD transport better than that of usb.That's why some dacs purposely mention their usb receiver chip for better read.

2.May be poorly ripped FLACs.The codec settings,bitrate etc.

I have narrowed down the issue, its poorly ripped flac files causing the problem. The audio cds I ripped myself works fine but downloaded flac doesnt sound that great.

Its not a Pioneer BDP - 180 issue.

z1EdmE8.jpg
So i tried a few things. here's the menu of the BD player menu.
http://i.imgur.com/z1EdmE8.jpg
So if i switch to either PCM or PCM multi ch mode, the Yamaha receiver displays PCM and not DTS or Dolby Digital.i popped in Neerja Bluray disc which has both DTS and Dolby encoding. But switching to Primary pass-thru it displays the selected codec correctly. I use straight mode in yamaha and it displays 5 speakers if in Primary pass-thru mode. 2 if PCM multi-ch. Also the pass through mode is much louder in volume compared to the PCM mode. Is this how it's supposed to work?
It seems.LG is not sending 5 ch PCM correctly.
Either Yamaha is automatically down mixing it as stereo(or stereo mode) or some more option in LG(like downmix) has to be disabled.
Also try pressing audio stream button on LG remote and see if helps.

It seems.LG is not sending 5 ch PCM correctly.
Either Yamaha is automatically down mixing it as stereo(or stereo mode) or some more option in LG(like downmix) has to be disabled.
Also try pressing audio stream button on LG remote and see if helps.

There isn't any other setting in the LG BD player besides whats in the snapshot.
May be the Yamaha receiver has something going on. I shall check out and post if i find anything.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back