Question to Opel Astra/Corsa/Swing owners

cha_indian

My search for used car continues!! Of late i have been offered quite a lot of Opel cars priced quite less than what a similar Maruthi/Ford would command. I know that Opel is not there in India, but just want to know how people are getting spares for Opel cars ? Someone told me that Chevrolet parts can be used in Corsa... Request all Opel owners to write their experiences regarding maintaining Opel cars ..

thanks,

To be frank, avoid! Sourcing parts is a pain. And usually 4-5 yr old vehicles have electrical related issues, which can end up quite costly.
How do I know :) ?
There's a Corsa in the family. Two close friends have Astra, Corsa. Most have ended up spending huge sums of money on maintenance or just plain neglecting issues because of the pain involved in fixing.
But the cars themselves are kinda good. I mean good ride, comfort, interiors, refinement etc. And yes, the petrols start guzzling fuel after few years of use.

I had a Corsa and an Astra, for about 10 years sold both in the past 2 years. I just loved the Astra, but started having issues with the hydraulic power steering oil seals and couldnt get replacements. GM doesnt support them anymore or does so at very high prices, so my suggestion is avoid Opels.

Great ride comfort, but gas guzzlers!

if the car runs well and has support (availability of spares etc) why would someone sell it ... except for upgrade. I bought a 2004 (or 2003) corsa for 1.2L from my colleague 2yrs back. The odo had 31k when I bought it and recently few months back I sold it for 90k when the odo was 44k. It did not have any major problems or any breakdown as the run-in was below average.
My recommendation would be to avoid buying cars (new/used) which do not have proper support. However, if you want to keep the car for short time you can make a calculated risk just like I did becas the margin loss is not high and acceptable.

Last edited:
Opel cars are too good in terms of ride quality, interiors, sturdy exteriors, and overall a very good package, along with German engineering. But the sad part has been that Opel has been unsuccessful to provide service in India, and Chevrolet has failed miserably in providing ASS to Opel owners. If you know a thing about cars and have contacts and are a risk-taker, there is a good reason to go for a 4- to 5-year-old Opel car IMO.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back