Questions about Punjabi mithai

GeorgeO

Guys

I have fond memories of a sweet that my father( an army officer), used to buy for us as kids in the 1950's-yes that's how old I am!! The great favourite was something he used to get from Pathankot called Palangtod, also known as Palangtod ka barfi. On a recent trip to Delhi I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Community Centre Okhla, and they were having a Delhi street food festival, where lo and behold I saw this.

My question is where in Delhi might i get some more of this(some for a friend who also has similar childhood memories). I will be making a trip to Delhi/Chandigarh this week and am willingto make an extra effort to lay my hands on some of this-if it means that I dont have to go all the way to Pathankot to get it. If there is any other recommended milk sweet, please advise.

Any pointers welcome

Cheers

George

Palangtod stuff you 'might' find in Karol Bagh side and North Delhi areas ... that would be quite far from your South Delhi abodes.

Can suggest .... Kalakand, Rasmalai, Khoya Barfi from the Panju stables ... readily available in South Delhi. Availabilty of the Bong varieties outstrip the others by maybe 10 to 1.

Last edited:
Ha! Bong stuff from ChitPark-that you suggested earlier is very high on my list-so if nothing else works I will take back a seer ( maybe maund is a better word) or two of that anyway!

Mysore Pak from Ananda Bhavan outlets in Chennai is the ultimate sweet indulgence for me! The ones we get in Mumbai are but pale images of the Chennai variety.

A distant second is perhaps the ras malai in a clay saucer I had long back in Halishar township (some 40-45 kms from Cal).

If you haven't already, try out Doda Burfi from Om Sweets (many outlets)

It was in great demand from my Hyderabad team mates when I worked in Hyderabad

In Delhi, my favourite shop is Bikanerwala in Karol Bagh.

Favourite sweets include:
Ghevar
Peta
Hot Jalebi (with Rabadi)
Kalakhand
Samosa (various types)
Almost everything in that shop :eek:hyeah:

On a related, there is a shop next to Bikanerwala which sells the freshest, softest, yummiest paneer I have tasted. We always carry back some for preparing some paneer dishes.

there are lots of Haldiram food outlets in delhi ... google them up ... else there's one called Kaleva near Bangla Sahib Gurudwara....go there...u wont be disappointed....

Has anybody tried the Mysore pak from GUNDAPPA or VENKATESHWARA SWEETS,two distinctly different types but just awesome....:licklips:

Hi Jls001

You can get mysore pak from Shri Krishna Sweets in Matunga or Chembur. Its the authentic stuff from Chennai.

Gundappas is located at Basaveshwaranagar circle near Pavithra Paradise and Venkateshwara at Balepet main Road,about 100 mtrs down the road towards Balepet from the old Majestic theatre..any help pls PM,i shall assist..
Chandruybl,
Both fantastic places for Mysore Pak, tastes even better when hot. Gundappas in Basaveshwaranagar is very good but not too many people know about it, so am guessing we live in the same vicinity. I live in Vijayanagar. I love the Venkateshwara sweets one better but Gundappas is next best and closer to home. Venkateshwara Sweets also has a branch in Gandhi Bazaar diagonally opposite Vidyarthy Bhavan (the famous dosa place).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back