quick and dirty speaker stands

I like the idea. Have always intended to improve on my pile-of-books stands for my monitors. Actually, sonically, the books are probably good, but looks-wise, not good.

re the rods... in UK, something called studding is available, which is rod threaded for its whole length. You just cut it as you want it. Would be ideal for this. Is it available here?
before going for custom threading on rod, i went out searching for what u call studding. may be in SP road or somewhere they would be available, not sure.

If you can't get Custom threading / studding, You can buy iron rods, which used for building construction. Then buy respective size bolts and nuts and weld them with the rods's each ends. that will solve the purpose.

on another thought,
instead of one single rod, you can go for 3 or 4 hollow steel/aluminium rods which come with threading and are easily available in hw shops (usually used for windows,doors curtain). fill them with sand. moreover with silvery finish they all look good and dont need any painting

I like the idea. Have always intended to improve on my pile-of-books stands for my monitors. Actually, sonically, the books are probably good, but looks-wise, not good.

I second that sonically books are good. I have an 27 years old tower speakers which stand about 2 feet 9 inches. It is not exactly bookshelf but not very tall tower. so i experimented with various objects for raising it for better high/mid frequency response at ear level without disturbing the warmth of the sound. i used a pair of pavement tiles plus my daughter's electronics book(she passed out a year back and i could experiment with various thickness). Now treble was clear and mid range was also enhanced. Then i raised the height by adding another pair of tiles(I require a pair for each raise). But removed the book. Immediately the bass disappeared to a large extent and whatever was there was hollow. i placed the book above the tiles and now bass was back in full and in depth.
i still donot know the reason for this . Perhaps the hard tiles interaction with the speaker base has something to do with bass frequency and the books donot allow this transmission. Acoustics is science and ART rolled into one it seems.

Last edited:

I second that sonically books are good. I have an 27 years old tower speakers which stand about 2 feet 9 inches. It is not exactly bookshelf but not very tall tower. so i experimented with various objects for raising it for better high/mid frequency response at ear level without disturbing the warmth of the sound. i used a pair of pavement tiles plus my daughter's electronics book(she passed out a year back and i could experiment with various thickness). Now treble was clear and mid range was also enhanced. Then i raised the height by adding another pair of tiles(I require a pair for each raise). But removed the book. Immediately the bass disappeared to a large extent and whatever was there was hollow. i placed the book above the tiles and now bass was back in full and in depth.
i still donot know the reason for this . Perhaps the hard tiles interaction with the speaker base has something to do with bass frequency and the books donot allow this transmission. Acoustics is science and ART rolled into one it seems.

books provide better acoustic isolation. the basic reason why bookshelf speakers are called bookshelf is because these speakers are meant to be placed in bookshelf sandwitched between the books! books on both sides provide better cabinet deadening/damping so box resonances are reduced naturally. imagine books as extension to the wooden box side panels. lesser box resonance always allows better bass frequencies. my two cents :cool:

Books are, essentially, lumps of wood! But possibly even denser. Since thinking about that, I wondered about getting stands hewn out of solid blocks. Of course, one could always use the whole block. Pieces of tree trunk for speaker stands. Visually, it could look pretty, umm, organic.

Well, this is a fantasy now that it seems that the skill to do such a job is no longer cheap, but still I like the idea!

Of course, could just buy these.

If it is good enough for Gobble, it's certainly good enough for me! :D

I'm fairly serious about the isoAcoustic stands, although unsure whether this would just be an expensive way of tidying my desk up. Anyway, not in the short term: short-term spending is ear-marked for more audible gear.

soundnovice's excellent DIY remains an attractive and practical alternative.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back