Quitting the roon habit

I am about pull the trigger on this:
Intel NUC10i7FNH
8GB RAM
128 GB SSD
1TB SSD for internal storage

Any thoughts before I do so, anything I should add or leave out.
Any advantages of my HDD storage being an SSD? It's just 5k more.
Is it silent..Fanless

Yes very much possible ;
Many have done it on Roon forum. You can't dual boot that's all
My apologies - can you please link the Roon forum if you would be so kind - I have been looking unsuccessfully.

I am about pull the trigger on this:
Intel NUC10i7FNH
8GB RAM
128 GB SSD
1TB SSD for internal storage

Any thoughts before I do so, anything I should add or leave out.
Any advantages of my HDD storage being an SSD? It's just 5k more.
Just ordered, will keep this thread posted on whether it's an improvement over my 11 year old Mac mini :)

My NUC (10th gen i7) arrived yesterday completed with 8GB RAM and 2 SSDs.

Plugged it in today, set it up. Setup was a breeze, 10 min job.

It is great. I went in with zero expectation except for easy DSP in Roon.
Got two improvements:

1) Roon is super responsive, as some FMs told me to expect.
2) I have not blind A/Bed this, but I think the noise floor went down, a lot. This could be a placebo effect because this was supposed to happen in my mind, but I am quite sure it did go down, a lot.

Overall quite happy with this investment.

Perhaps down the line an Akasa fanless chassis, and a LPSU are in order, but for now. I am gooooooood.

Oh that's a good nuc.

I use the nuc8i3beh and Roon works fine with this as well. I have 16gb ram and samsung 970 Pro SSD. Altho my offline music is mainly stored on the WD HDDs I have (4TB, 5TB) and one Seagate 1TB.

I use Fidelizer Pro 8.8 which is good imo.
I did experiment with HQ player as well but now don't bother anymore with it.

I have a i7 nuk with two 5TB hard drives connected. Running Roon rock on it. Works flawlessly. IMO it's the best music software in the market. And now with Roon ARC it's even better. I hesitantly took the plunge a couple of years ago and went for the lifelong subscription. Never regretted it.

The Roon UI sure is pleasing but I don’t understand why we pay so much each month when there is Apple Music Available for ₹75 per month and is excellent.

The Roon UI sure is pleasing but I don’t understand why we pay so much each month when there is Apple Music Available for ₹75 per month and is excellent.
Tell me one device that plays lossless apple music into a stereo other than the eversolo streamers.

Roon is expensive but you are free to use something else like bubbleupnp if you don't care much about the UI.

Exactly my thought is - why pay someone for just tagging and organizing the music? A one-time fee would have been nice. There is some hidden nexus, for sure :). Just my thought, sharing with friends here, and don't want to set an argument with those who use it :).

Exactly my thought is - why pay someone for just tagging and organizing the music? A one-time fee would have been nice. There is some hidden nexus, for sure :). Just my thought, sharing with friends here, and don't want to set an argument with those who use it :).
Was in the same boat. So I wrote my own software using mpd as the backend. I have developed a concept of Karma for a song. If a song gets played often, it earns a Karma. If a song is unlistenable and I skip it after few seconds, it looses karma. A new song added to the collection starts with a karma of 50. Everytime I play any song it gets tagged with date, played time, duration and rating. If I play a song and skip in few seconds, it decreases the karma of a song. If I play a song again and again often, it gains karma faster. If I give a high rating to a song, it again gets extra karma. Over a period of 5 years it has learned which songs I like, which songs I haven't played over a period of few days (all configurable).

So to play my favourite songs I do the below and my playlist gets filled with my favourite songs. It doesn't matter if you are using plain raspbian or moode, volumio, etc

mpdplaylist --karma > 60 --clear --playlist=now

So If I want to listen to my favourite hindi songs not heard in the last 2 months, all I have to do is run the command

mpdplaylist --minrating=7 --incgenre=Hindi,Qawwali,Ghazal --daysnotheard=60 --clear --playlist=now

If I want to listen to any song which has Kishore Kumar

mpdplaylist --incartist="Kishore Kumar" --minrating=7 --incgenre=Hindi,Qawwali,Ghazal --daysnotheard=60 --clear --playlist=now

If I want to list to songs by Kishore Kumar, excluding duets

mpdplaylist --artist="Kishore Kumar" --minrating=7 --incgenre=Hindi,Qawwali,Ghazal --daysnotheard=60 --clear --playlist=now

I want to listen to hindi songs excluding Kumar Sanu

mpdplaylist --exlartist="Kumar Sanu" --minrating=7 --incgenre=Hindi,Qawwali,Ghazal --daysnotheard=60 --clear --playlist=now

An important component of this was requirement of a music player that could tag and also have buttons to rate the song. So I use cantata. So if you are using any raspberry PI player (official Raspbian or 3rd party images using Raspbian like volumio, dietpi, volumio), cantata will seamlessly connect to the mpd instance. Cantata runs on all Linux versions, Macbooks, macmini, and Windows, but not available on andriod or IOS.

1710608468375.png

the software also scrobbles the track to last.fm and libre.fm and those sites also give me analytics which show me my song preferences etc. So any song that gets played in my house goes here

If you are into mpd, then you can use it. I have licensed it under GPLv2. Maybe one day I will come up with a UI, but I wrote it for myself and so no UI but the simple but powerful linux command line. Software can be downloaded from below

If you want to do apt-get install then one can use my binary repo on open build service

They do have lifetime billing for $829.99 if one wishes to opt for.

I’m surprised to see the number of Roon nay-sayers here! I’m extremely impressed with the software,not just the GUI but also its ability to integrate various DSP options. I use a convolution filter that I’ve created using Focus Fidelity and use this with a sever with a renderer DAC. As a music software, it ticks all the boxes for me and I’m an extremely satisfied user!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back