Radio Tuner Recommendations (Used/ New)

sgmane

Hi Folks,

If one has to get a radio tuner (Used or New), what needs to be looked into?

Some Simple questions i need answers:

* Does radio tuner come with remote? (I do not see any or may be very little information on ebay USA of radio tuners with remote)
* When buying what should one look at (digital or analogue)?
* I understand (from other threads and through browsing net) there are not much standalone radio tuners (either digital or analogue) in indian market. So if one needs to buy, what models one has to look at (Means after which year of manufacture is it ok to buy the tuner)?
Eg: Year dating 1990 earlier is good enough to buy?
* Do also specify brand/model which is good (ofcourse not high range like ARCAM/Cyrus) to buy as used under $150?

* Any checklist one needs to have before buying radio tuner? (If so, do let me know)
* In the thread (i read somewhere, not sure though), i did see one has to keep an eye from buying radio tuners in ritchie street chennai because they source most used stuff from singapore/malayasia. So what needs to be looked into? (I also found an ad on net about one person named srikanth from chennai- he is supposed to be a dealer selling such tuners - not talked to him yet)

Iam sure there are other questions too, if any one would like to share them (with answers too), that's highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
hey SG, i might be getting my hands on a Sansui TU-317 tuner from 1978. A highly regarded tuner of the time. I am not sure I will have any use for it (since I listen to radio mostly in the car). If I don't I'll get in touch with you to see if you're interested. But I might just decide to keep it also :)

Tuner availabality is itself very LOW .so find which one is available and then seek opinion...

About remote - in earlier discussion about tuner I found from manual yhat yamaha tuner had remote input but remote was not provided -if connected to yamaha receiver with remote that remote controls it!

Heard analougue tuners -vintage were better -never tested the fact!

If you are liucky yio can get tuner around 1.2 K to 3 K -if it is working buy it!

Tuner availabality is itself very LOW .so find which one is available and then seek opinion...

About remote - in earlier discussion about tuner I found from manual yhat yamaha tuner had remote input but remote was not provided -if connected to yamaha receiver with remote that remote controls it!

Heard analougue tuners -vintage were better -never tested the fact!

If you are liucky yio can get tuner around 1.2 K to 3 K -if it is working buy it!

My question arised because i do not know which brand/model or the manufacture year is good. So i am not in position to select the good (if not the best) brands/model! [For good reviews/brands of receivers/cd players/ tuners (but are of high cost) whathifi.com is the place. Is there any other site that tells about tuners?]
Apart from the "presets" what else need to be checked? I have seen very few models with less preset stations say 10 or so, is ok, keeping in mind with the current trend of so many channels available!

My question arised because i do not know which brand/model or the manufacture year is good. So i am not in position to select the good (if not the best) brands/model! [For good reviews/brands of receivers/cd players/ tuners (but are of high cost) whathifi.com is the place. Is there any other site that tells about tuners?]
Apart from the "presets" what else need to be checked? I have seen very few models with less preset stations say 10 or so, is ok, keeping in mind with the current trend of so many channels available!

Did you get a chance to glance through the reviews posted on fmtunerinfo.com? They have reviews of pretty much every decent tuner ever made.

While we wait for the tuner experts to chime in, I thought I'll post this. I do not know too much about tuners but if I was looking for a decent tuner, this is what I'd do:

1. Decide on the budget, including shipping.
2. Search the usual places like ebay, agon, etc., for tuners listed within my price range AND ne shipped worldwide
3. Shortlist about 5-6 candidates that appear to be in reasonable condition.
4. Check fmtunerinfo.com (and possibly other places with extensive reviews) for performance reviews as well as any 'gotchas' that you need to be aware of for the selected model.
5. Ping the seller and finalize the deal.

Just FYI, the following would be the brands I'd be interested in:

1. Sansui
2. Marantz
3. Pioneer
4. Kenwood
5. Yamaha

Take a look at this.
Check out the tuner link.

I bought a used Technics ST-G40L localy for Rs. 1300/-. Works perfectly.
Its a FM-LW-MW Digital tuner. I connected it with an old AM Loop antenne. The all three lights for signal strength came on. Not yet checked FM, have to buy 20ft 75 ohms RG-6F cable.

View the pic

hello sgmane
you may try the tuner from Cambridge Audio. it has a remote and is priced around 23k. talk to palani, he should be able to help you out.

thanks for the link. Can't find the 901 there.
What is the difference between digital and analog? Which one is better?

regards

Take a look at this.
Check out the tuner link.

I bought a used Technics ST-G40L localy for Rs. 1300/-. Works perfectly.
Its a FM-LW-MW Digital tuner. I connected it with an old AM Loop antenne. The all three lights for signal strength came on. Not yet checked FM, have to buy 20ft 75 ohms RG-6F cable.

View the pic

@grubyhalo
Thanks. That would be a kinda checklist for me.
shall dwell further. Well now i do know some good brands to be considered.

@sulivan
Thanks for the link. Good! Looks decent!
Thats a deal! Me took looking into that range. But no success yet. Ebay USA offers good deals :), but shipping is double the cost of the product itself and adding to it, the excise factor too!!! :sad:
Congrats on your purchase.

@krauss
Should thank you for pointing. Well that range is tooo far away from my budget. May be once my cash box starts overflowing, i shall consider this!!! I do know CA offers good products. But beyond my reach at this point of time!

hey SG, i might be getting my hands on a Sansui TU-317 tuner from 1978. A highly regarded tuner of the time. I am not sure I will have any use for it (since I listen to radio mostly in the car). If I don't I'll get in touch with you to see if you're interested. But I might just decide to keep it also :)

Hi, is anyone willing to sell a Sansui TU series tuner? thanks Nitin

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back