Radio tuners with dial and slider window

gobble

Which are the AM/FM/SW tuners available with a dial knob and slider? I dont want a complete radio but want to recreate the vintage sound using a DIY low watt mono tube power amp section and a 4" speaker for that slightly over-driven sound with a crunchy and aggressive midrange.

Is it possible to pair a digital tuner with a knob and slider and get rid of the button controls? Assume the electronics expertise is available locally. For example if my Hitachi KH-WS1 (WorldSpace Radios) can be re housed in a box having a slider and knob. I can find expertise to do it for me if this is feasible.

The other part of the challenged posed is - what DIY tube amp kit do you recommend for that over-driven sound with a crunchy and aggressive midrange and a chunky bass? Less than 10W is ok.

Budget is approx INR 8000/- for the analog tuner or radio with aux-out.

TIA

Which are the AM/FM/SW tuners available with a dial knob and slider? I dont want a complete radio but want to recreate the vintage sound using a DIY low watt mono tube power amp section and a 4" speaker for that slightly over-driven sound with a crunchy and aggressive midrange.

Is it possible to pair a digital tuner with a knob and slider and get rid of the button controls? Assume the electronics expertise is available locally. For example if my Hitachi KH-WS1 (WorldSpace Radios) can be re housed in a box having a slider and knob. I can find expertise to do it for me if this is feasible.

The other part of the challenged posed is - what DIY tube amp kit do you recommend for that over-driven sound with a crunchy and aggressive midrange and a chunky bass? Less than 10W is ok.

Budget is approx INR 8000/- for the analog tuner or radio with aux-out.

TIA

over the top, gobble -

if you get a (workable) response on this forum - i will eat my hat! (i have one)

I am not getting what do u want? You want a used analouge tuner?

Do not want to sound pushy but yes i can arrange a silver pioneer tuner

I recently saw a Sansui digital tuner from the '80s which has a slider window and a dial. Looks amazingly beautiful and old school with bulbs being used for the backlit panel.

Gobble, why not use something like that as a starting point and use the line out to feed the tube?

Gobble,
If you want to use valve amp section of the radio, why do you need dial knob and sliders ?
By the way you may get dismantled vintage valve radio, spool tape amp section on ebay. (Just be aware of 120 V and non working stuff) Radio valve amp section will not work with low output of modern sources.

I recently saw a Sansui digital tuner from the '80s which has a slider window and a dial. Looks amazingly beautiful and old school with bulbs being used for the backlit panel.

Gobble, why not use something like that as a starting point and use the line out to feed the tube?

Exactly what I intend to do. A radio amp may need a special design to protect from RF maybe, but thats somethign I intend to discover along the way.

Is that sansui for sale? What model?

Regards

Gobble,
If you want to use valve amp section of the radio, why do you need dial knob and sliders ?
By the way you may get dismantled vintage valve radio, spool tape amp section on ebay. (Just be aware of 120 V and non working stuff) Radio valve amp section will not work with low output of modern sources.

Yes yes you read my mind. I was thinking of scouting the radio shops in Bangalore to find parts. if you know a shop local to your place, please drop in and check for my sake.

I want to listen to AIR FM and SW too. So its not just about a new amplification thing.

I am considering the product R601P Tube Hi-Fi FM/AM Classic Radio on this page http://www.audio01.com/eng/productClassical.htm

Because it has EL84, the sonics of which promise a crunchy and aggressive mid range when pushed http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson Tone Tips_ Output Tubes/, exactly like my old bush radio. Note I am not looking for silky smooth sound but a raw open and airy one (hopefully without fatigue - my radio certainly did not ) to drive a 4" full range. Slightly over driven like a guitar amp. My 100+ badly recorded Indian/Carnatic CDs will hopefully come alive and sound better on this with some sacrifice of detail.

Unfortunately the R601 is a solid state tuner with a tube amp section. Analog tuners are really more fluid and musical whereas solid state tuners are a downright shame on this front!! And I know this from experiencing the sound of the 1970s Bush Radio for decades. Hence looking for alternatives.

Regards

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back