Rare Find - Akai AP-D40 DD TT

Anil kumar

Found this beauty few months back here in Bengaluru, this TT was brought back to life ! dismantled, cleaned, moving parts lubricated, reassembled, it sounds surprisingly as good compared to Technics SL-D 20 which i had.

Front-2.jpg

01-6.jpg

02-6.jpg

13-2.jpg

08-3.jpg

03-5.jpg

04-6.jpg

05-6.jpg

09-3.jpg

06-5.jpg

07-4.jpg

14-3.jpg

10-3.jpg

Last edited:
Immaculate ....... looks better than the 'big' named ones. Daresay, might sound better too. Never expected Akai to have such a solid built!

Congrat Anil. You have given the TT a new lease of life. The TT is lucky to have found you:)

Love all the pics, especially the one with the stroboscope. Sweet!!

Last edited:
Hi Anil,

:licklips: WOW looks brand new, great find. Your special touch shows its magic on the TT. Do give us a review of the listening experience.

Enjoy :)

Found this beauty few months back here in Bengaluru, this TT was brought back to life ! It was dismantled, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled than tested, it sounds surprisingly as good compared to Technics SL-D 20 which i had.

Congratulations on a wonderful find and a superb job done!!!
It looks awesome!!!
Did you do all the work yourself?

Regards.

Found this beauty few months back here in Bengaluru, this TT was brought back to life ! It was dismantled, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled than tested, it sounds surprisingly as good compared to Technics SL-D 20 which i had.

Front-2.jpg

01-6.jpg

02-6.jpg

13-2.jpg

08-3.jpg

03-5.jpg

04-6.jpg

05-6.jpg

09-3.jpg

06-5.jpg

07-4.jpg

14-3.jpg

10-3.jpg

hi. I have the same model tt.it has a shure m55e cart with an n55 stylus. Didnt knew it is a rare find. Rgds.visu

Anil,
Looks really classy!!

Please share some "before restoration" pictures as well?
Where did you get the Dust cover buffed?
Is the cart an AT91?

hi. I have the same model tt.it has a shure m55e cart with an n55 stylus. Didnt knew it is a rare find. Rgds.visu
IMO, rare or not depends on how many other TTs you know off that exist in this condition today:).

Last edited:
Thanks soundofmusic, Chid, santhosh, denom,miroflex, stevie, cmsajith,visvan1970 & olly42

@miroflex: i did the servicing part myself. restoration took 3 sundays
@cmsajith: paid 2k, but it came without headshell & stylus
@santhosh: i have not not taken any pictures before restoration. But dust cover had lot of minute scratches, which i removed by polishing with cerium oxide. I used MINCREAM to clean plastic parts. Stylus is AT91, but it will be fitted with Shure 97XE soon.

Anil

Cant believe it was restored, you gave it complete life with factory finish look. You are master class ...Keep it going.:clapping:

Anil , I could imagine how a 2k player will look like and the condition of that. But after the restoration it definitely looks much better then a 75k player. I hope it sounds like a hi end player too. Kindly share with us your listening experience with this TT.

regards

Hi Anil.
nice to c ur shining Akai tt.
was this tt in mint condtn, as seen in pict , or u cleaned it with some solution,
thanks for ur cosmic photos and brouchere on this forum.
how do u clean this tt looks brand new .
hope we can also manage to do the same to keep our tt chakkachak
thks bye

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back