Rare gramophones-radiograms-records

That Lakshmi Shankar Vinyl (with other two stalwarts) has very good recording, if not the best. The music is best ofcourse.

I don't know which word will be the best to praise you. What you have shared here is simply mind blowing. You have opened an important page of history. The HMV did have a good relationship with Kolkata. In Dumdum stable of the HMV many treasures were born during the hay day of record player. The newsletter that you have given here reveals the two revered Bengali singers, Tarun Banerjee and Konika Banerjee whom we , the people of Bengal admire .The recording of Tagore's masterpiece Kaalmrigaya at the Dumdum studio of HMV ..,.. just spell binding.kudos to your endeavour to present a glimpse of history.
Regards
spelling shall be Kanika

Hello Mr. Jaskar, Greetings. I donot remember exactly when and from where I got this reord. Hope it was from Babu of Pammal.
I donot have an extra copy to share. Such old ones,just happen to fall in hands ... Anyway I will put your request in mind and if I get to come across any such old one will let you know.
Thank you. Will you please share the audio? 9443194846

I happen to see the movie "RRR" recently and one frame caught my attention a bit deeper... the below one(see the highlighted portion in blue)
RRR-Victrola.png

That board, which reads "Vicrolas" and Victor Records W.S. STRUVE BLOOMBER WIS.
Happy to see and one should appreciate the kind of Research they have done and detailed property Making of the Art department of the movie.

Now is it a Fact? I have no idea. The research team might have got the reference from some old photo.
My understating on the below might be wrong.....just my view...
The movie revolves around the era of British rule and Victrola is a American Company and "Victrolas W.S. STURVE" were the dealers in US.
May be they had a presence in India and Britishers would have allowed them to sell directly.
Out of my own interest I glanced through "The Gramophone Company's First Indian Recording 1899-1907" Michael Kinnear's book and could not find any reference.
Any way very happy to see that board in the Movie.
JFYI. Below is the Original U.S. Dealer's board.
RRR-Victrola-sign.png

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back