Raspberry PI questions

GeorgeO

Folks

I am seriously considering getting a RPI for my son.Primary use is as an audio player but it's possible that he may also use it as a media player. I can get a kit(which version should it be?) from amazon.com or amazon.in/flipcart, if available, or from SP Road.

What do I need, and how simple or complex is putting one together? I have a young CS graduate to assist me in getting it together and up and running. What should be a decent budget for parts including a case?

TIA

Hi George

What is the prime purpose of using the RPI?

By media player you mean a computer feeding data to dac?

And by audio player you want headphones to be connected directly to it ?..

Hi George,

You can order the latest Raspberry Pi 3 from Amazon. You need a class 10 memory card. You need a power adapter as well. You can use any smart phone mobile charger if you have one handy. I am using this case.

This is all you need if your son is going to use it just as an audio player. I am using MOODE player and it works really well. You might need a card reader to connect the memory card to your computer to install MOODE on the memory card.

Thanks,
Sam.

Rikhav
Looking at connecting it to powered external drive to play audio in the first stage, ideally controlled via Android phone. If that's tough, then will go via NAS and wifi.

Rikhav
Looking at connecting it to powered external drive to play audio in the first stage, ideally controlled via Android phone. If that's tough, then will go via NAS and wifi.

Why not possible?
That's what we use it for
You have many free tailor made audio only OS available
It has its own control page. You just out the IP address of the raspberry pi on your Android device and all will show up. All should be in same network
You can also use mpd control app available on Android and iOS
Raspberry pi distros always need little bit of tinkering but everything is there on the web with commands , you just follow the instructions which are given step by step

I will suggest moode audio to you as now it has auto update feature. All this distros are updated regularly but till now one had to download the image and remove sd card from raspberry pi and connect to card reader and transfer image
Not anymore after this auto update feature

You can use external powered drive connected to USB , no need for nas

Now it's not advised to use USB to connect to dac as USB snd network share same bus. Maybe if not for crtical listening it should be ok

Alternatively you can use hifiberry digi plus card which will give spidif out to raspberry pi and then you can connect to external dac
Or
Hifiberry dac pro board which will make raspberry pi into a full fledged dac and you will have RCA line level outs

Hifiberry can be ordered from main company in Switzerland or from its resellers throughout the world , sadly none in India

Another option is to buy cubox which is something like raspberry pi but superior to it but comes fully cased and has spidif out capability from factory

Raspberry pi has the maximum software support though I.e. all developers make their softwares for raspberry pi. Some are also made for cubox and others

Don't worry if all this sounds very confusing to you. Was same for me when I tried raspberry for first time
Even now since I don't know linux some commands coke up for tweaking and it's all confusing.
All I have to do is to have patience and find a step by step guide
I am using my raspberry pi to output data stream from hqplayer to it and am happy with it

Folks

I am seriously considering getting a RPI for my son.Primary use is as an audio player but it's possible that he may also use it as a media player. I can get a kit(which version should it be?) from amazon.com or amazon.in/flipcart, if available, or from SP Road.

What do I need, and how simple or complex is putting one together? I have a young CS graduate to assist me in getting it together and up and running. What should be a decent budget for parts including a case?

TIA

As all have suggest Moode Audio player is best out there, as far as playing Audio goes. YOu can connect ext HDD and scan or provide a path to your NAS or any drive on network. OR as I use it you can use it as a UPnP renderer (player) and play music via NAS using UPnP protocol. Moode can be downloaded from below

moodeaudio.org

Instructions to install moode can be found at below link ..

http://moodeaudio.org/docs/readme.txt

You can purchase Rpi 3 from amazon.in

Amazon.in: Buy Raspberry Pi 3 Model B 1GB RAM Quad Core 1.2GHz CPU Starter Kit Online at Low Prices in India | ELECTROBOT Reviews & Ratings

Folks

TIA
Hi George,
I got my RPI 2.0 from crazypi.com (full kit). It had the case, charger, hdmi cable, ethernet cable, Class10 sd card (class 10 extra charge). Rightnow using it as audio player only. I have Audiophonics DAC and run RuneAudio. So far no issues.

You should get the latest RPI 3.0 version.

If it is going to be used as Mediaplayer then I think you can run Kodi or OpenElec and use AV Receiver or TV to decode audio (Audio Passthrough mode). I am not sure if RPI itself can do HW audio decoding.

Regards,
Suresh.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back