Re: AVR to go with PSB speakers

Ghostrider

Hi All,

I will soon be upgrading my AVR for my PSB speakers and thus hunt begins.

My current setup is PSB T5's, B4's and C5 along with SVS Cylinder powered by Yamaha RX-450 which will be soon on sale.

I have been using Yamaha since long and hence would like to go with denon now, i know that NAD goes well with PSB but i dont think NAD will fit my budget with features what we get in Denon/Yamaha at specific price range.

would like to know more from PSB users interms of their AVRs in use and how well will Denon new series x1200 or x2200 will go or other.

Ah my usage is Movies 80:20 Music

Cheers...

Hi

Denon will work well for some ....IMHO it caters more to movies than music....If you are a music lover, Marantz / Cambridge Audio will work well....

Depending on your budget and what features you want, the key is to demo and hear with your kind of music and movies....see what appeals to your budget, the wanted features etc....there are lots of brands out there including lot of dealers offering good bargains....all the best...

Hi

Denon will work well for some ....IMHO it caters more to movies than music....If you are a music lover, Marantz / Cambridge Audio will work well....

Depending on your budget and what features you want, the key is to demo and hear with your kind of music and movies....see what appeals to your budget, the wanted features etc....there are lots of brands out there including lot of dealers offering good bargains....all the best...

I don't know about other places but in Mumbai it's difficult to get demo with psb speakers and AVs other than nad, nor its possible for me to carry my FS, if aware of some place for demo with PSBs apart from Lakozy do let me know.

Advise pls....I guess many FMs are using PSB speakers....kindly share your experience ....nad / Yamaha / denon ?

I will soon be upgrading my AVR for my PSB speakers and thus hunt begins.

My current setup is PSB T5's, B4's and C5....
I have the T6, B5, C5. Using Marantz 7005. Anything lesser than the 7 series and I surely would have been unhappy!
I play loud at times and I feel that even the 7005 does not have enough juice in it for music, since the Thermal protection has kicked in a few times at loud volumes. My music is usually with 2 channel. For movies it is more than sufficient for my needs.

Note:
1. Thermal protection kicks in at loud volumes usually when I bypass PC processing and directly feed music to the receiver.
2. My crossover is at 80 with 2 subs taking over.
3. Audyssey has been calibrated (room specific!). It could so be that, the Audyssey correction is taxing the amp and hence at loud volumes it heats up more and shuts down. Which may not happen without the correction at similar volume levels.

Last edited:
Hi Ghostrider,

IMHO, Marantz SR series 5000 onwards should suffice! Most of us depend on the auto setup and calibration of speakers and thus the actual outputs of the avr lies untapped.

I use the NR series which is rated only 50w per channel on 100w speakers at 8 ohms load After the auto calibration, I checked the speaker levels and noticed that these were either -2 or -4 or at 0.

If you recall the good old days of analog amplifiers, we never adjusted speaker levels and were reliant on the volume knob and loudness switch for a good output....keeping this in mind, I manually tweaked the speaker levels to my taste, adjusted Bass + Treble and also the 9 Band EQ.....results were better output.....any electronic device heats up...use a mini 4 inch AC fan to help cool the AVR....

Some may find this as an orthodox method or way to tap AVR potential....works for me well and had no issues till date.

If you have a specific budget in mind at this point in time and also may change the AVR in future as there is stiff competition in the market, then I would suggest you look at purchasing a pre owned AVR....lot of ads on Hifi Ads, OLX, QUIKR etc. where there are Individual owners selling good AVRs for a nice rate used between 1-2 years....old sparingly used....else you have an option to purchase a new one...the call is yours....I just checked on OLX, there is someone selling a 5008 which is considered as one of the best audiophile 7.2 AVRs by Audioholics and other forums...if you have a 5.1 setup...I am sure you can use the BI AMP mode and additionally power up the Front Speakers which would possibly have separate connectors for Tweeters + mids and Woofers.

The choice is yours..all the best....

I used denon x4000 with my psb t6/c5/s5. It worked great. Had enough power and I didn't need additional power (amp). Unfortunately I enjoyed the setup only for 2 weeks. Had to sell my psb setup. I think even marantz 5 series should be sufficient.

Disclaimer : I did put an ad on OlX for my denon x4000 in Delhi

Hi All,

Thanks for input, but with new series getting launched by all am really getting doubled.

Checked on Marantz new 5010 series and upward it looks will be out of my budget,
How about take on Denon X2200w with PSB ?

Now as i am looking for new upgrade i would want with new HDMI 2. standard with DTSX as well.

Anyone experienced with PSB + DENON, its difficult to get demo for this in mumbai.

Cheers..

Hi

Denon and Marantz are made by D & M Holdings....Marantz uses superior parts and hence is expensive....if you are going to update your AVR when something new comes in the market, would suggest you look at pre owned and get something better within your budget....you may just get lucky..check the For sale by owner section or hifi ads etc....all the best!

What is your budget u can get 5010 @ 67000 at Fairdeal Crawford market mumbai

Hi,

I was looking at somewhere near to 50k, checked in denon 1200 but will be low for my speakers, also new series not available on Amazon.de for ship to India, so seems will have to increase the budget.

Hi Ghostrider,

There seems to be good preowned avrs available...you need to decide now to either stretch ur budget for a new one or get a nice pre owned one well within your budget..the sr5008 should do the trick..

My dealer specifically asked me not to go with Marantz AVR for PSB speakers because of transformers and even 5010 was under-powered according to him.

I mentioned this earlier, those PSB speakers simply need more power!
So there is no point chasing an AVR that is cheaper. Either get an appropriate receiver or get different speakers. You dealer looks like he knows what he is talking about, what does he recommend?
If you are going with Marantz i'd recommend to get the 7 series (6 might work out since u have T5...might).

If your budget is low then wait for a while, save up and get one.

Hi Ghost Rider,

Since you are on a specific budget and need to power up the PSBs, as mpw has suggested, there is a 5008 which seems to be the possible solution. You can use the AVR in BI AMP mode so you will get 100w + 100w at 8 ohms load and 140w + 140w at 6 ohms per channel....total 200w at 8 ohms and 280w at 6 ohms continuous power per channel (per side).

The decision is now upto you.....all the best....still you will have 3 channels to use other speakers to use the AVR as 5.1

I'm curious to know how did you manage with your current receiver. That yam AVR looks like it is way lesser power than what the T5's need.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back