Re: LG CX ARC issue

How can i test it from hdmi port in my laptop ?
Just plug your laptop in the AVR like you do your BD player. Then in Windows/MacOS set the sound to come from HDMI. If you have an Nvidia GPU it will be Nvidia audio for example as the GPU is the one which outs from HDMI port.
i tried with my BD player connected to BD HDMI port in AVR and sound is coming through HT
Just to be clear, is this the same HDMI port with which you connected the TV to AVR?
Otherway i plan to dismantle all and carry AVR to other room to test ARC on second TV
Yes, that will also be a great test.

Update -

1 - I shall get the optical cable by today eod and shall try this.
2 - How can i test it from hdmi port in my laptop ?
i tried with my BD player connected to BD HDMI port in AVR and sound is coming through HT

Otherway i plan to dismantle all and carry AVR to other room to test ARC on second TV

Thanks
I dont think arc can be tested with a laptop

Just plug your laptop in the AVR like you do your BD player. Then in Windows/MacOS set the sound to come from HDMI. If you have an Nvidia GPU it will be Nvidia audio for example as the GPU is the one which outs from HDMI port.

Just to be clear, is this the same HDMI port with which you connected the TV to AVR?
Actually for testing ARC he has to plug in the hdmi out of the AVR to the hdmi in of the laptop/graphics card and play some media on the laptop and the sound should come without any other hdmi cables being connected between them.

I dont think arc can be tested with a laptop
That's because it's not needed from a PC. ARC is needed only if you don't have an HDMI out from the source like a TV for example. A PC can just use HDMI out to pass full-fat PCM audio.
Actually for testing ARC he has to plug in the hdmi out of the AVR to the hdmi in of the laptop/graphics card and play some media on the laptop and the sound should come without any other hdmi cables being connected between them.
So I actually want to test if that port itself is working and not ARC. If he can get audio from the PC via PCM to the receiver's port to which he connected the TV, that would be good.

PC's don't have an HDMI in, so what you're suggesting won't be possible.

So I actually want to test if that port itself is working and not ARC. If he can get audio from the PC via PCM to the receiver's port to which he connected the TV, that would be good.
This is the HDMI out port in the AVR. So what you are suggesting is to send an input audio to the AVR out however the PC port will output both video and audio so will this work? As ARC is designed to only accept audio when there is no video and otherwise to send only video to the display.

So is the way you are suggesting to input a full audio video input to the output port of the AVR, is it safe ? Most of the hdmi ports are very finicky and you will find many issues regarding hdmi boards in the audio section of the forum. I still think that he has some HDMI handshake issues (assuming that the AVR is fine) and should test it with some other TV. In case of ARC working generally the AVR should display audio as ARC and the source name (this depends on the manufacturer).

This is the HDMI out port in the AVR. So what you are suggesting is to send an input audio to the AVR out however the PC port will output both video and audio so will this work? As ARC is designed to only accept audio when there is no video and otherwise to send only video to the display.

So is the way you are suggesting to input a full audio video input to the output port of the AVR, is it safe ? Most of the hdmi ports are very finicky and you will find many issues regarding hdmi boards in the audio section of the forum. I still think that he has some HDMI handshake issues (assuming that the AVR is fine) and should test it with some other TV. In case of ARC working generally the AVR should display audio as ARC and the source name (this depends on the manufacturer).
No, you can configure the HDMI port in Windows for example to only output audio signal. I currently only have an Nvidia card to test, but you can absolutely do that at least on Nvidia card.

Just set your speakers to Nvidia HD audio and you're set. You don't need to output any video at all.

No, you can configure the HDMI port in Windows for example to only output audio signal. I currently only have an Nvidia card to test, but you can absolutely do that at least on Nvidia card.

Just set your speakers to Nvidia HD audio and you're set. You don't need to output any video at all.
Maybe it is possible but I am not sure this is the safe way to test the ARC functionality on a AVR. Further will it work where the laptops have integrated graphics ?

Yes, that will also be a great test.
Point 2 -
Its not the same HDMI Port
My AVR - HDMI Arc port is connected to TV ARC

BD Test - HDMI port between BD player and AVR other HDMI port (not arc port where we facing issue)

I got the optical cable and will be doing tonite to check on the same.

That's because it's not needed from a PC. ARC is needed only if you don't have an HDMI out from the source like a TV for example. A PC can just use HDMI out to pass full-fat PCM audio.

PC's don't have an HDMI in, so what you're suggesting won't be possible.
I had connected to laptop hdmi port and to AVR - hdmi arc port (same port used for tv arc)
but sound still coming from laptop only and not through avr
also didnt get any option to select sound out from hdmi in laptop and didnt checked much

Maybe it is possible but I am not sure this is the safe way to test the ARC functionality on a AVR. Further will it work where the laptops have integrated graphics ?
Will depend on the integrated graphics used. It's technically possible.

It should be 100% safe though. The only problem that can happen is if HDMI port gets too much voltage. If something is incompatible, it just wouldn't handshake and nothing will happen.

This is what I am worried about. If the port gets too much voltage the HDMI output port of the AVR may get non-functional.
Correct, i wouldn't even think of trying this method really, specially if the Hdmi board gets fried in the marantz, then the OP has to get the Hdmi board replaced.
@lightgamer The ARC/EARC port is Hdmi Out in an AVR & not Hdmi In.

Incase you want to check if the ARC port is working on the avr, just go to the AVR setup menu & see if its displays the GUI on the Tv.
Simple & the correct way to check the Hdmi Out/ARC port.

Last edited:
Correct, i wouldn't even think of trying this method really, specially if the Hdmi board gets fried in the marantz, then the OP has to get the Hdmi board replaced.
@lightgamer The ARC/EARC port is Hdmi Out in an AVR & not Hdmi In.

Incase you want to check if the ARC port is working on the avr, just go to the AVR setup menu & see if its displays the GUI on the Tv.
Simple & the correct way to check the Hdmi Out/ARC port.
That won't check the audio part. An ARC port in an AVR has video out and audio in support.

Even if you can display video out, that doesn't mean that the audio in works. Audio and video use different pins on HDMI connector.

This is what I am worried about. If the port gets too much voltage the HDMI output port of the AVR may get non-functional.
All HDMI compliant devices work on +5V rails. Unless you're using a device which uses a bad power supply, that won't happen. It will just fail handshake if you do something unsupported.

This is just anecdotal, but I've done such stupid experiments in the past, i.e. plugged my laptop in the PC GPU. Nothing happens and nothing is even detected.

That won't check the audio part. An ARC port in an AVR has video out and audio in support.

Even if you can display video out, that doesn't mean that the audio in works. Audio and video use different pins on HDMI connector.
I agree on that, have you experimented the method u mentioned? if so on which avr did you try this?
Marantz avrs have weak hdmi boards, many avrs have hdmi board failures especially Marantz & Onkyo, doing this method you mentioned might risk the board. Just trying to save the OP of giving his avr for service, not here to argue with you.

Cheers.

I agree on that, have you experimented the method u mentioned? if so on which avr did you try this?
Marantz avrs have weak hdmi boards, many avrs have hdmi board failures especially Marantz & Onkyo, doing this method you mentioned might risk the board. Just trying to save the OP of giving his avr for service, not here to argue with you.

Cheers.
No, not really. But in the past I've tried connecting HDMI out to out (PC to laptop) and it didn't burst anything. It just didn't work as handshake failed.

Anyway, the OP isn't going to try it. He has another TV, so he'll directly try the ARC port with that TV. That is the best way to test it anyway.

Anyway, the OP isn't going to try it. He has another TV, so he'll directly try the ARC port with that TV. That is the best way to test it anyway.
Yes that would be the right way to do it, as Hdmi Boards on avrs especially Marantz are very sensitive to voltage, there have been members blowing their Hdmi board on their avrs cause of Set top boxes & their cheap Hdmi ports.

Yes that would be the right way to do it, as Hdmi Boards on avrs especially Marantz are very sensitive to voltage, there have been members blowing their Hdmi board on their avrs cause of Set top boxes & their cheap Hdmi ports.
I see. In that case experiments can be rather costly.

Do Marantz and Denon warranty cover surge voltage related issues?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back