RE: Non-spender club! Dare to join?

Re: Non-spender club! Dare to join?

audio_engr -

i have to talk to you - i have to listen to what you say - this is very important to me - i have to know the other side - you MUST entertain me for 2 days - i have to experience you and your concept.

let me know - i will be there!

edit - i hate flying - intense phobia - but, i will manage

...requested B&W UK to arrange for a matrix 801 series 2 (1987-1993) version that they've just dispatched

Gosh! these are real beauties.
1262646741.jpg

While searching, I came across this monster.
B-W808.JPG

Are you asking us to S T O P ? :)

Hi,

No way, keep rocking this thread!!!! I am having real fun here!

But I hope I dont change the thread myself to a spender's club, after seeing the gadgets listed by our members!:licklips::licklips:

Cheers!

hey un_leash : those B&W 808 you found were as off 1984-1989. B&W quickly replaced that by the same config in a much superior honeycomb cell cabinet they call Matrix. Hence the model being Matrix 800 !! as below

I have not seen anything like this before:eek::eek:

You know what...the very reason why the Audiophile community is so limited is because its only the handful of us who spend beyond our means for audio and thats the reason these forums, those audio companies etc are all existing.
Otherwise with the numbers that we all make up, if we had that mindset to STOP or even HALT, the dealers would be no where:lol:.

OTOH, I know guys who do not upgrade for years, but they are extremely rare. They dont try "not to upgrade" its inbuilt within their mind. They are lucky:p.
I agree that we have been caught up in a viscious loop where its very difficult to control our senses unless we simply cut off ourselves from any Audio related forum or discussion, do not visit showrooms or other audiophile's places or get too busy in our work schedule to do anything in audio.
Some very serious audiophile friends of mine are so busy in their work schedules that they do not turn on their system for weeks and sometimes month. Obviously they do not have the time to upgrade !!!

Another way that I have found to be very effective in controlling oneself is by buying high quality music...by high quality I mean your favourite music which are very well recorded and manufactured (XRCDs, Mofi, Japanese pressings etc). They will make you sit back and listen to music so much and so well that you would stop bothering about bettering your system. Your system will always call you to spend time listening rather than testing.

Hope this helps.

@ suri : ha! ha! Now you have to reach to this level to truly make a sense of that. Google-boy can't help u! :lol:

Maybe stevie can't either? Yes, I did what I said bcoz I have a real problem that I see coming up. And using the dressing-gown was a way to relieve the mental agony!! :lol:

After taking delivery of the prestigious B&W 800D in Nov '09 and continuously burning-in with pink-noise on a 24hr basis now for several weeks, listening to them for 10 odd days, I find the speaker has great strengths BUT Doesn't have the soul-captivating feel which my 17 yr old Matrix 802 does. I've been going to-and-fro between the 800D & the earlier Matrix 802 and the older one is so much more better.

Hence - requested B&W UK to arrange for a matrix 801 series 2 (1987-1993) version that they've just dispatched. BTW- when I mentioned my observations to senior people at B&W, I expected them to slam the phone on me. But to my dismay, they were very patient & went on to comment "Oh Boy! So you too have joined that Club?"

I keep asking myself - I was all well settled and why the hell did I even get into all this fiasco ..... :confused:

@audioengr,

Awesome decision you got there.:clapping:

Is this the one you are getting ?
Stereophile: B&W Matrix 801 Series 2 loudspeaker

From what hear from many B&W fans, the matrix designs are the best designs ever done by B&W if one is a true music lover and crave for connection with their music. I always wanted to hear the Matrix 800.

Hi,

My point here is to spend wisely and not to get lured by the attractions, liked I got lured by the xtreamer one:eek:hyeah:

At least 4% of our per annum salary would not affect us a lot, especially young chaps! I used to run my life from paycheck to paycheck for a period of years, then when I started saving, I started really feeling confident and independent.

If we cannot spend anything, there is no point to be around here! Let us spend, but wisely!

Thank you Srikarkav sir for your advice, hope to get a lot from senior members around here!

Cheers!

Hi Venkatesh,

Thanks for starting this intereting thread. My way of getting things is different.

1. Whenever my credit card banker offers attractive EMI options, I will buy something. Recently, I bought Nokia 6303 mobile and taken the EMI offer (12 months) from Standard Chartered (Kuchi - Bhi - On - Emi Offer). The mobile cost is Rs. 6.7K and I will be paying around Rs. 615 per month. Only Rs. 620 I will be paying extra from the mobile cost. There is no down payment, processing fee etc. So if your credit card banker offers anything like this, please grab them.

2. Another method is to start a recurring deposit (RD) for our dream products (I am sure prices of consumer electronics won't go up). I have already started a RD for purchasing a good turntable.

These are my suggestions.

I buy most of my A/V gear at the time when I plan not to buy anymore......:cool:)

Hai all,

Just purchased my New Car so no upgrades until a couple of years for audio. But plan to upgrade my SONY CRT TV (as the picture started to appear in Pink), to LCD 32-inch sometime later this year.

N.Murali

Last edited:

You know what...the very reason why the Audiophile community is so limited is because its only the handful of us who spend beyond our means for audio and thats the reason these forums, those audio companies etc are all existing.
Otherwise with the numbers that we all make up, if we had that mindset to STOP or even HALT, the dealers would be no where:lol:.

OTOH, I know guys who do not upgrade for years, but they are extremely rare. They dont try "not to upgrade" its inbuilt within their mind. They are lucky:p.
I agree that we have been caught up in a viscious loop where its very difficult to control our senses unless we simply cut off ourselves from any Audio related forum or discussion, do not visit showrooms or other audiophile's places or get too busy in our work schedule to do anything in audio.
Some very serious audiophile friends of mine are so busy in their work schedules that they do not turn on their system for weeks and sometimes month. Obviously they do not have the time to upgrade !!!

Another way that I have found to be very effective in controlling oneself is by buying high quality music...by high quality I mean your favourite music which are very well recorded and manufactured (XRCDs, Mofi, Japanese pressings etc). They will make you sit back and listen to music so much and so well that you would stop bothering about bettering your system. Your system will always call you to spend time listening rather than testing.

Hope this helps.

I missed a vital point:
The more you upgrade, the more you will be forced to upgrade:).
As in, the better your gears get, the more finicky they would be to the partnering equipments. System gets more and more revealing and every little issue and non-issue will pop its ugly head out and say....cmon you did not fix me !!! And it goes on !! The only way out is, either to downgrade to less revealing components or keep upgrading something or the other :yahoo:.

This whole thing acts like a very high precision balance which if slightly unbalanced will show up as a tilt to one side and you have to do the balancing act by adding something on the other side and the cycle goes on....unless you are really really lucky and focused to get the right things into your system. Very few people have been there and achieved it. Audio_engr was one of them but looks like he has slightly messed it up by upgrading a little more:eek:hyeah:.
On a serious note, I have also noticed that people who get into good tube equipments and Vinyls also do not upgrade as much. It somehow is related to my other analogy of buying high quality CDs to stop thinking about upgrades. The more you are engrossed into music, the less you upgrade!!!!! Its rather an irony because the very reason you upgrade is to listen to better music !!!

So....there we are...while we cannot stop ourselves from spending, increasing our income could be something we can look at.

Last edited:

Always been a member of this club...more by circumstances than by choice :(

Hi,

After serious consideration and the overwhelming response and attempts to make this club a spender's club, :eek:hyeah: I just ordered a optoma HD65 PJ, after lots of troubles, and will be shipping it through vpost! So, I know I can't be a member of this club for a while, coz' I have some more stuffs to buy along with the PJ.:yahoo::yahoo:

So, I am currently resigning my post as the chairman of this club and let someone takeover this:eek:hyeah:

Though we spend heavy and actually it hurts someone to see our bills,:sad:, but when we enter into our HT room and listen to our setup, the world is anew and afresh and looks beautiful:yahoo::yahoo:

So, I have decided to bulk my pocket by working hard rather than stop spending, but with this buy, I am completing my 7.1 HT setup (a pair of bookshelves and a woofer are rrequired only for enhancement), which has been my dream since my college days.

Cheers!

Happy that I am a cause to dethrone Venkatesh from Non-Spender club Chairman Position:yahoo:

Happy that I am a cause to dethrone Venkatesh from Non-Spender club Chairman Position:yahoo:

Hi,

:clapping::clapping::clapping: I thank Srini sir from the bottom of my heart for helping me choosing the projector and I have been constantly troubling him for the past 3 days.

Cheers!

Hi,

After serious consideration and the overwhelming response and attempts to make this club a spender's club, :eek:hyeah: I just ordered a optoma HD65 PJ, after lots of troubles, and will be shipping it through vpost! So, I know I can't be a member of this club for a while, coz' I have some more stuffs to buy along with the PJ.:yahoo::yahoo:

So, I am currently resigning my post as the chairman of this club and let someone takeover this:eek:hyeah:

Though we spend heavy and actually it hurts someone to see our bills,:sad:, but when we enter into our HT room and listen to our setup, the world is anew and afresh and looks beautiful:yahoo::yahoo:

So, I have decided to bulk my pocket by working hard rather than stop spending, but with this buy, I am completing my 7.1 HT setup (a pair of bookshelves and a woofer are rrequired only for enhancement), which has been my dream since my college days.

Cheers!

Hi,

:lol::lol::lol::clapping::clapping::clapping:

As long as you enjoy, happy spending!!!!!!!!
Congrats on your HD65 PJ.:cool:

cheers.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back