Real and idle price of tvs

22ramesh

some time wonder what is the Real and idle price of Televesion if we have to go for it,and in arriving the value for many there many factors which decides

1)Technology: PLASMA/LED/LCD in this if we compare almost plasma and led are more less equivalent with smart tv options, whereas lcd when launched was costly now slowly reduced with smart tv options

2) branded/local: Well always branded companies charge premium amount to local branded, and also again indian made and foreign make however there is more or like 15-20% price difference.however no indian company deals in plasma.

3)Market Dynamics:well in US normally big size market hence the price for 40 and above are being quoted from 600$ ,whereas indian market is ideal for 26-32 inches.

4)foreign exchange/duty free: well in dubai/thailand and other US markets there is 15-30% difference in price when compared with india due to duty free,foreign exchange flucations etc

5)other factors: after tsunami in japan the prices have gone up and also consolidation in industry in production of panels etc. and Features like 3D/2D/SMART TV/.................ETC

however taking overall view the prices in india are on higher side all branded 42 inches plasma are quoting from 38k and led 45k,and high end lcd 45k.the value for money and time is getting reduced in investing this gadgets.Due to poor service/maintenance there is a huge risk to be taken by customers like us in arriving at decision to go for it or not.however 3-5 years back to own a 4o inch above people have to spend a lakh and above for entry level television. Technology is changing constantly.

Last edited:
Issue disscused many times. Nothing comes out. What we can do?
If you cannot afor do not buy. Manufacturers find enough buyers at the price.

Also realistic costs are considered? Like all taxes , real estate / rentals , cost of staff / TV, and COST OF LOGISTICS etc .....

Well, It's all a matter of one's choice and the way he looks into the things.
It's not the case just with the TV sector, but you can find the same in every industry either it be cars, Bikes, Laptops, Home Entertainment, or any Household appliances.
There is a good percentage of people in india who buy costly equipments just to have them in their homes.
So its a thing which won't change as per me.

Why noone crib about liquor?
On duty free 1 lire on Black label costs Rs 1500
In mumbai 750 Ml of black label costd appx rs 5000 so i litre around 6500..

And you say TVS are expensive???

Its not the same case for everything. Look at the price difference of most computer peripherals like HDD Motherboards, Processors etc. The difference is 20-30% at the most. But TV price overly skewed. I'm looking at a basic 60hz 42" LG on Amazon.. its ~$360. But here its no less than 2X that.

Don't forget that prices in India are inclusive of tax, delivery, setup/mounting, wall mount. While what you see online in the US usually excludes all of that.

And while Amazon is a good place for many things, I wouldn't buy a TV again through them. While living in the US I bought a TV and found repairs/warranty to be a real hassle. Small items are easy b/c you can easily send them back but large items are a hassle.

If you buy from a local shop in the US you will pay taxes (add anywhere from 5-10%), plus delivery, plus setup. plus the cost of any wall mounts/stands, etc. For most sets under 50" I find that the prices in India are within a few thousand rupees. For things over 50", prices in the US are less because they have much higher demand and lower import duties.

If there's any complaint you should lobby your local MLA or MP for lower import duties :)

Don't forget that prices in India are inclusive of tax, delivery, setup/mounting, wall mount. While what you see online in the US usually excludes all of that.

And while Amazon is a good place for many things, I wouldn't buy a TV again through them. While living in the US I bought a TV and found repairs/warranty to be a real hassle. Small items are easy b/c you can easily send them back but large items are a hassle.

If you buy from a local shop in the US you will pay taxes (add anywhere from 5-10%), plus delivery, plus setup. plus the cost of any wall mounts/stands, etc. For most sets under 50" I find that the prices in India are within a few thousand rupees. For things over 50", prices in the US are less because they have much higher demand and lower import duties.

If there's any complaint you should lobby your local MLA or MP for lower import duties :)
Agreed, Online prices don't include shipping, taxes and setup. But those won't add to the final price significantly. I feel the manufacturers are deliberately selling at a higher markup and profit. Due to the higher price fewer people buy .Adding to that the supply chain increases its margin further. All these translate to exorbitant prices for the consumer.

Agreed, Online prices don't include shipping, taxes and setup. But those won't add to the final price significantly. I feel the manufacturers are deliberately selling at a higher markup and profit. Due to the higher price fewer people buy .Adding to that the supply chain increases its margin further. All these translate to exorbitant prices for the consumer.

I have done some homework. There are some significant differences in specs in the US model and India model:

a) NTSC only
b) Standard 1 year warranty for defects (Add $200 + Sales Tax)
c) No 3D Glasses (Add 2x $80.00 + Sales Tax)
d) No wall mount
e) No free installation

I checked on BestBuy site and the here is the quote:

a) P50ST50: $1299.99
b) 2 x 3D Eyewear: $159.98
c) Cheapest wall mount: $129.99
d) 2 years extra warranty from Geek Squad: $189.99
----------------------------------------------------
Product Total: $1,779.95
Estimated Sales Tax (7%): $124.60
TOTAL: $1,904.55

By bargaining, one may be able to knock off $200 from base price. Still this means about $1700 to pay. And I have not even considered the labour charges for wall mounting.

Assuming $1700, in INR terms this works out Rs. 95,200. So what do you say now?

Last edited:
I have done some homework. I checked on BestBuy site and the here is the quote:

a) P50ST50: $1299.99
b) 2 x 3D Eyewear: $159.98
c) Cheapest wall mount: $129.99
d) 2 years extra warranty from Geek Squad: $189.99
Product Total: $1,779.95
Estimated Sales Tax (7%): $124.60
TOTAL: $1,904.55

By bargaining, one may be able to knock off $200 from base price. Still this means about $1700 to pay.

Assuming $1700, in INR terms this works out Rs. 95,200. So what do you say now?
Well, I was referring to 42"+ LCD TVs. I wasn't thinking with respect to Plasma TVs. Most people may not opt for the extra Warranty and the wall mount we get is really worth $129? Even if its really worth that will the retailer in India reduce the price if we say no to the wall mount?

Anyways, I was looking at the custom duty structure in India. The Import duty adds up to ~32% (Basic+CVD+Spl CVD). The same for Hard Discs seems to be 10%. So it does appear that a large fraction of price difference is due to the import duties. The government either wants less people to buy big LCD TVs or they want more of them manufactured locally.

Well, I was referring to 42"+ LCD TVs. I wasn't thinking with respect to Plasma TVs. Most people may not opt for the extra Warranty and the wall mount we get is really worth $129? Even if its really worth that will the retailer in India reduce the price if we say no to the wall mount?

Anyways, I was looking at the custom duty structure in India. The Import duty adds up to ~32% (Basic+CVD+Spl CVD). The same for Hard Discs seems to be 10%. So it does appear that a large fraction of price difference is due to the import duties. The government either wants less people to buy big LCD TVs or they want more of them manufactured locally.
a) If you do the equations on 42", the story will not be any different.

b) Whether or not to have extra warranty is personal choice. In the example, I included it because Panasonic provides 2 years extended warranty on panel. However, I should mention that if you buy extra warranty in US, then it covers other parts and labour also.

c) Whether or not Indian wall mount is worth $129 is not the question. It is definitely not worth that much. But is the US wall mount worth $129. Again I seriously doubt. But in US, people go for wall mounts for TVs over 60". That kind of TV is heavier and hence wall mount needs to be sturdier. But from what I saw of Indian wall mount, it is not flimsy in any way. But the worthiness to price is besides the point. The point is that if you want wall mount, the cheapest is $129.

Note that large screen TVs are considered luxury items by government. Those Hard disks, electronic components, etc. in the 10% customs duty bracket are considered necessary for industrial and economic growth. So duty structure is such that whatever benefits common man, necessary for economy, industry, household, etc. falls in lower tax bracket. As you stated yourself, government wants local manufacture for sure.

Had you been in need of hard disks and they were charged 35% duty while flat large screen TV was in 10% bracket, wouldn't you have cried foul? :)

But I do agree that customs duty should be reduced further. There were times when the customs duty on personal baggage was 255%! The intention was supposedly noble - discourage imports, conserve forex and promote swadesi goods. But what it did was only encourage smuggling.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back